LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Having second thoughts on purchase

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-09, 08:04 AM
qtrung909
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Having second thoughts on purchase

Well, ive been looking into finding a 04-06 ls430ul but the look has not been too successful. I have been looking into purchasing a different vehicle and being since i want a big car now, bigger than my 04 tl, i was looking into the ls430ul, 06 750li, and recently the audi a8. Audi A8 has been looking really good but i know it euro and a used euro probably means alot out of my pocket for repairs. just trying to get some input.
Thanks guys
Old 09-29-09, 09:35 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I test drove an '07 A8 (among other things) a few weeks ago before buying my 2nd LS. I liked it, but frankly I don't see the point in a giant heavy car (LS, A8, 7-series, etc.) that sacrafices ride, comfort, and quiet for pseudo-performance. I say "pseudo" because they aren't really fast, and they are too heavy to feel like a performance car on the road, IMO. In the end, I went with another LS, but if someone were willing to put up with the liability of spotty reliability, and found the on-the-road feel appealing, I can understand the attraction to the A8. And more certainly, the S550 *Sport* (not the non-sport). 5 and 7-series cars just don't do it for me somehow...
Old 09-29-09, 10:49 AM
hitechgs3t
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I have a 08 Acura tl-s and I just got 05 ls430 as a replacement car the ls is a great ride and comfort ride if u go with a European car expect high maintain I would keep on searchin for ls430 so what happen to the white ls430 in new York I know they were askin 25000
Old 09-29-09, 12:36 PM
qtrung909
Intermediate

looks like he went down to 20k but never answered any of my messages and then it got taken off of autotrader.
Old 09-29-09, 03:03 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are not a high number of used LS's for sale because the number of units sold is lower then most cars (due to higher price) and secondly, I would be most LS owners are very satisfied with their car and there fore less likely to sell them. This applies even more so to the UL.

I would look into a Modern Lux LS. The extra goodies the UL has seem to cause more problems over time. Air Suspenion, separation of lamanated windows, power door closers, etc. All items that are costly to repair and seem to pop up pretty often as issues on ClubLexus.com. I just wish they had a Mod Lux edition with the better leather and suede roof liner. The cool box would be nice too, although since it is only chilled by an air conditioner my beer/soda would never please me anyhow at those temps.

Hold out for the LS and I can tell you, you'll be satisfied with your purchase. Can't promise that with the other three competitors.

Last edited by bigcory; 09-29-09 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-29-09, 04:52 PM
scubadogg
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The LS are hard to find........guess thats why I kept my LS400 so long because it was flawless, even after I sold her...I was sad to see someone drive away with her. Now I am lovin my 05UL!
Old 09-29-09, 07:24 PM
qtrung909
Intermediate

what do you guys think about waiting a little while longer and getting a 07 ls460 or 460l with slightly higher mileage?
Old 09-29-09, 08:40 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrung909
what do you guys think about waiting a little while longer and getting a 07 ls460 or 460l with slightly higher mileage?
One thing I don't like about the LS460 is the drive-by-wire steering. Instead of using a mechanical steering rack, it uses electronic motors and sensors. One thing nice about the LS over the LX/GX SUV's is it uses a conventional vacuum brake booster, which is very reliable. The electronic booster on all mid-sized and larger Toyota/Lexus SUV's and trucks can fail, leaving you with virtually no braking power instantly and costing $1500 to replace (part alone, and this is the toyota price!). At least if a vacuum booster fails, you can hit the brakes a couple of times and stop.
Old 10-01-09, 02:57 PM
scorpio74
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I would hold out for the 07+ LS. A world of difference in body style and new technologies. Just my 2 cents
Old 10-02-09, 04:42 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

I got an 06 LS430 premium package only - no Nav - on purpose because I wanted what I consider to be the last of the truly great cars but with minimum electronics and complex BS options to break or get obsolete. I wanted to specifically avoid the overly complex and soon to be broken and/or obsolete electronics on the LS460 newer models. Someday, well in the future, I think these the ls430s particularly the 04-06 models will be recognized as a true classics of this era - and maybe as the best factory cars ever made.
Old 10-02-09, 04:55 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that was so poetic and beautiful i think i will get it tattooed in japanese across my back nah just kidding but wow such powerful emotions there
Old 10-02-09, 11:30 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
that was so poetic and beautiful i think i will get it tattooed in japanese across my back ...
I believe traditionally, it would be written from top to bottom on your back, in columns from right to left. However, given the economy of Kanji, the meaning could probably be expressed in something like 3 symbols.

Unfortunately, you would likely encounter a jokester tattoo artist who would give you symbols that roughly translate to "They call me pedo-bear."

Joking aside, I think the original sentiment is spot on. The LS400 and LS430 are classics much like the 81-85 MB 300D
Old 10-02-09, 11:39 AM
IMXCITD
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

don't get confused with some other brand that is gonna sting you in terms of repairs....stay on track and be patient for the right LS430 to come along. You don't need a UL.....just find the cleanest 04-06 in the top color choices you like and go with that. I don't need the nav.....I will have my portable with me...so that's not an issue. Be patient .....if the right car doesn't present itself...it will if you wait!
Old 10-02-09, 11:47 AM
qtrung909
Intermediate

the longer i wait the more cars will pop up. i really dont know what to get exactly yet but i really do want to ul for all the amenities it offers. only other cars that would offer something like it would be the audi a8 w12 or the 760li as far as rear seat packages is concerned.
Old 10-02-09, 12:13 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my wife is japanese so hopefully the next time we go back i would get another one done in a more legit location then my first couple kanji ones that come to find out much like you mentioned don't exactly translate out... but yeah i know all to well about poopy translations.

Originally Posted by caddyowner
I believe traditionally, it would be written from top to bottom on your back, in columns from right to left. However, given the economy of Kanji, the meaning could probably be expressed in something like 3 symbols.

Unfortunately, you would likely encounter a jokester tattoo artist who would give you symbols that roughly translate to "They call me pedo-bear."

what is the price range, year, and mileage for some 760li's you have seen,, just estimations are cool.??

Quick Reply: Having second thoughts on purchase