LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

In need of some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-09, 07:22 PM
mrpitbull
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In need of some advice.

I'm in the market for some very minor body work but I do need some major paint work. I have a 2004 UL in perfect operable condition but needs some paint "good paint work". I new when I got it I would need to put some money into it but I couldn't pass up the deal for a UL.
My question to the forum is what is a good price for a new paint job. I know the first question will be do I really need to paint the entire car and the answer is yes. I'm thinking to piece sections of the car togethor would be harder than just having it all painted.
I had a quote today for $3200 and he said it could go higher. I'm not changing the color at all. Currently the car is silver and I want to keep it that way.
I live in Ft Polk, LA basically 2hrs from Shreveport, LA and 45 min from Alexandria, LA and Lake Charles, LA. I'm even willing to make the 3 hour drive to Houston, TX for a good paint job.
Can anyone give me some advice on the subject?
Old 10-05-09, 10:58 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Let me preface this by saying my only knowledge of the subject is what I've learned from a buddy of mine who has restored a series of project cars. I remember him saying that a good quality prep and paint job, with minor body smoothing is about $3K-$5K. That price goes up to $5K - $7.5K for vettes due to dealing with fiberglass. I believe these prices include disassembly / reassembly / masking.

I believe he did all of the disassembly / reassembly and most of the body prep on his 1970 big block (not original motor), 4 speed, vert Corvette. He spent about $7500 for final prep and paint. The car was a very good summer driver. He sold this car for something north of $40K.

His current car is a 1969, 400 motor, 4 speed, vert GTO that was in better shape to start with than the vette. I believe he had the paint guy do most of the disassembly / reassembly and prep and spent about $10,000. He wanted show quality with the GTO and he got it. The car looks amazing and has won trophies at Pontiac shows. Given a better economy, this car would be worth about $60-70K.

Since he does restorations, he delivers the car to the body shop on a trailer with no powertrain or interior, riding on work tires. Most exterior trim, lights, etc, have been removed.

A previous owner had my Allante painted due to it living in Arizona for years. I don't know what they spent, but it wasn't enough. I noticed the sloppy masking when I inspected the car before buying it. I intended to use the car as a summer daily driver, so I wasn't concerned. But, now it's a summer cruiser and I wish I had a paint job that wasn't a 10-footer.

Last edited by caddyowner; 10-05-09 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-06-09, 04:08 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

$3200 for the whole cars seems cheap to me, if it's prep'd to remove old wax, smooth out chips, and then smooth coated and finished. Does this price include door jams and engine bay? I've heard of a complete paint job running in excess of $5000. One thing to make sure is that the car is baked after painting, it makes a world of difference.

Silver is a very hard color to match if you don't paint the whole car. I've never seen one single car with a single panel painted in silver where the painted panel matched the original panels. It's usually too dark.

Anyway, hopefully you find a very good reputable place.
Old 10-06-09, 09:03 AM
mrpitbull
Rookie

Thanks for the info. One thing I do know is that they use a booth but don't bake the car. We talked all about the prep of the car and they will take of most of its components but we all know people get a little intemidated when they look at high end cars. I just want the paint to look good with no tape marks and the shine it should have.
Old 10-06-09, 11:02 AM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrpitbull
Can anyone give me some advice on the subject?
I had work done here in Jersey on my Lexus by a shop which worked with the dealer by sending a guy to the dealership to give estimates twice a week. Even though I went to the dealership to get the estimate, I dealt strictly with the body shop after the estimate was given. At the shop, I noticed that the walls were covered with Lexus-issued certificates stating that the shop and specific individuals were "Lexus-Qualified" and trained in body repair and painting. I inquired about them, and the shop owner said that, yes indeed, he and his employees had gone to Lexus training for specifically painting Lexus vehicles. I was very satisfied with the work they did.

While this was a little long-winded, my point is that maybe area dealerships can provide information on shops qualified & certified to do Lexus-quality work.

Walt
Old 10-06-09, 12:16 PM
mrpitbull
Rookie

Thanks again for the info. You guys just gave me an idea. Since I live in a pretty rural area, I could probably call my insurance company and see who the endorse for repairs.
Old 10-06-09, 04:39 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Insurance

Originally Posted by mrpitbull
Thanks again for the info. You guys just gave me an idea. Since I live in a pretty rural area, I could probably call my insurance company and see who the endorse for repairs.
Ummmm... insurance companies probably know more cheap places, than really high quality places. I would say ask the dealers for recommendations, and go see a few shops and look at their work. Then decide...