LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

need help, major question before i buy a 430

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-09, 09:44 AM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
EESH!! I hope you quadrouple bagged em', and had an airtight/vaccuum cooler to put dem stinky shrimps for your 12 HOUR voyage, and not your backseat coolbox?

I don't allow the transportation of ANY food except for groceries (uncooked) in my car.

Cooked food, (especially Chinese), fastfood, pizza, etc. stinks up a car for weeks, optical/ultraviolet deodorizer or not!

From what I've gathered from this forum, most UL owners can take or leave the air suspension, as it seems it may be the least useful of all the extra goodies the UL has to offer?
For what it is worth ...

the 20 lbs of shrimp were frozen because of how far out the shrimpers have to go to get them and I had them packed in dry ice in a sealed beverage cooler. Likewise on the pizza, chinese food, etc in my car as no air fresheners for me.

I actually liked the air ride better than the regular suspension, however, there is a difference between air with 18" and 17" wheels. The 17" are noticeably softer in my opinion having driven them both. My 18" give me enough firmness to corner without excessive lean. This is coming from a former 1984/1996 Vette owner who likes to corner. Also, I feel that a lot of the air problems may be directly attributed to the after market air controllers. Just my opinion though as my car is purely stock with 43k and no "lean" or any other problems.
Old 10-21-09, 10:07 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Besides....

Originally Posted by RomanTPA
i noticed that UL runs about 3-6k more then other luxury options.

so besides the air ride and rear controls were there other major differences that were UL only??
The only other item that UL has that CL doesn't is the rear door, manual sunshades. Other than that, you can get it in the CL. As for the sunshade, you could always order them for $500 and install yourself.
Old 10-21-09, 05:38 PM
Yaff
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RomanTPA
its cheaper to get a UL rather then getting other trims and adding aftermarket air ride. -just my research*
Good 2c unfortunately we don't have many 430's around here. I had to wait about a year for a decent deal on a very clean car.

The one I found is a Premium and unless I'm wrong, it doesn't come with air. I'm suppose to get the car next Monday.
Old 10-21-09, 07:01 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Correct, no air suspension. Premium has heated / cooled front seats and heated rear seats. Take a look at the sales brochure in the FAQ thread.
Old 10-21-09, 08:47 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Since I live in So. AZ, the main selling point for the UL over the CL/ML was the separate rear A/C blower (in the trunk) with independent controls (albeit there's only low and high), so the driver doesn't have to freeze to keep the folks in back cool. Those rear of the center console vents on the ML and every other Lexus sedan (other than the UL) just don't cut it when it's hot (and that's most of the year). In my LX, I find that the front A/C on low and the rear on medium is sufficient to keep the car cool up to about 107F. For 107-115F, I use the setting between low and medium up front, rear still on medium.
Old 10-22-09, 08:36 AM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

So what do you guys think/prefer about suspension for lowered daily driver??
factory air sus VS lowering springs VS coilovers

and how much can you lower a 430 before thinking about camber problems / tire wear?
how many inches can you go and still keep it almost factory camber? by using factory installed camber adjustment..
Old 10-22-09, 09:15 AM
dennass69
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your worried about having a lowered car then buy the UL or like me plan on doing air one day. Dont waste ur time with springs tho, coilovers are cool but they dont belong on a LS unless your putting air sus on the coilover

The only time i feel like i need to lower my LS is when i stare at it haha the stock suspension just looks like a fxckin monster truck but when driving the car i dont even think twice, its comfort makes every negative thought dissipate. By far the best daily ive ever owned and there are many other things too ie. cool **** like

-cooled front seats- great for keepin ur sac chilled
-folding mirrors- the car is effing wide, this makes it more comforting parking on the street
-mark levinson sterio- best quality ive ever had, stock sub does the job too
-huge back seat- great for naps or gettin down with ur chick

plus many more, the point is this car is amazing without the air sus, but totally big ballen if u got that too
Old 10-22-09, 09:52 AM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

yea, the reason why i fell in love with it was because i drove a couple of them and it was the most amazing experience EVER!!! and getting it on with a girl in a sports car wasn't much fun, it was more of annoyance then fun =(
Old 10-22-09, 09:53 AM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

anyone else got input about suspension?
Old 10-22-09, 10:24 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am deciding if i should sell my UL and get an ML and put aftermarket air sus in. i am wanting more out of my UL with the datasystems controller that maybe only aftermarket air can provide. the ul air sus is nice but purely for an old man style level of comfort. when wanting to vip it out and ride low (with the controller) it is only sufficient about 90% of the time and is sorta of a half assed attempt at making the car seem likes its on aftermarket air when its clearly not, it is a hassle the other 10% of the time. how much is aftermarket air setup? i figure i paid about 6k more for my UL.
Old 10-22-09, 02:04 PM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

so far what i found is $3-5k for aftermarket air.

but the thing is, if i get something other then UL i will use coilovers to lower it.
my budget after the car purchase will definitely be pretty low for a long while.