LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

A lil more cushion.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-09, 08:31 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default A lil more cushion.

I'm looking for just a tad bit more cushion from my ride. Currently, i sit on the factory 18's with some horrible sounding hancook tires sized at 245/45-18. What size in the "primacys would i have to get to ride a lil softer? I love the look and handling of the 18's. They give the conservative look of the LS a stately if not aggressive look and couldn't see it with the 17's(no pun). Any ideas fellas?
Old 10-29-09, 09:06 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Default natures valley - chocolate chip granola bars

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

That is a HANDSOME tire...and I bet you that tire would ride softer than those Chinese Hankooks. Read the description...the words "harmony" and "blending responsive handling" indicate to me, it's a softer riding tire.

Also, instead of the the OEM size 245/45-18, replace the 245 with a lower number (235 or 225?). That will give you a softer ride because the smaller that first number is, the less WIDE your tire would be, compared to the OEM 245/45-18.

Or...you could replace the 45 with a HIGHER number (55?)to something like 245/55-18. That would increase the height of the sidewall and give you a softer ride also.

I would think that making modifications from the OEM size would alter your speedometer accuracy slightly though, even though the rim diameter is the same.

Keep in mind with the creative/custom sizes that you dream up, may not be that "popular" of a size, and the prices will flucutate a lot.

Those Michelins look sweet AND soft...like those soft n chewy chocolate chip granola bars...

AND YOU GET A REBATE FROM MICHELIN!
Old 10-30-09, 02:10 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Honestly, I would really stay away from altering the factory diameter. Either go with a smaller wheel size, or just buy better tires.

You will not be disappointed with the Primacy rubber in factory size, especially coming from hankooks.

Use this calculator to find the size closer to spec:

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

Last edited by GRAND_LS 4; 10-30-09 at 02:16 AM.
Old 10-30-09, 06:08 AM
danxp
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

That is a HANDSOME tire...and I bet you that tire would ride softer than those Chinese Hankooks. Read the description...the words "harmony" and "blending responsive handling" indicate to me, it's a softer riding tire.

Also, instead of the the OEM size 245/45-18, replace the 245 with a lower number (235 or 225?). That will give you a softer ride because the smaller that first number is, the less WIDE your tire would be, compared to the OEM 245/45-18.

Or...you could replace the 45 with a HIGHER number (55?)to something like 245/55-18. That would increase the height of the sidewall and give you a softer ride also.

I would think that making modifications from the OEM size would alter your speedometer accuracy slightly though, even though the rim diameter is the same.

Keep in mind with the creative/custom sizes that you dream up, may not be that "popular" of a size, and the prices will flucutate a lot.

Those Michelins look sweet AND soft...like those soft n chewy chocolate chip granola bars...

AND YOU GET A REBATE FROM MICHELIN!
fyi... hankook tires are korean...

and while ls430inde is right in that increasing the 45 to a 55 will get you a softer ride, keep in mind that your odometer and speedometer will now be incorrect...

i just got the primacys for my ride and they're pretty good... i give it a 8/10 even tho i was expecting a 9/10...

good luck
Old 10-30-09, 07:19 AM
formerMB
Driver School Candidate

Primacys or Pilot Exaltos if they come in your size

I've owned everything, seriously, and the only tire I buy when I have my choice (after initial auto purchase) is Michelin.

Tires are the single-most important accessory. So many people don't realize that 9 of 10 problems you think are suspension, steering, bushing or driveability-related come down to tires. Hankooks on a Lexus is like wearing Keds with a tux. You could put Pilot Sport A/S (my all-time favorite "harsh" hi-po tire) and they'd still feel like butter compared to crap tires
Old 10-30-09, 07:26 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

No doubt, Michelins are great. What you have now is lousy. The OEM Bridgestones that came on my LS are still my favorites; although I have Michelins now.

I had BF Goodrich (owned by Michelin) Z rated tires on the LS, they were firm, but very forgiving over bumps, etc. Handled well too.
Old 10-30-09, 09:28 AM
pacinitaly
Driver

Strange to come across this post.

I just had to put a new set of these tires.
I went with http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....rtnum=255VR7TS

$728 for a set of 4 tires.

I got roofing nails in both of my front tires and FIRESTONE said could not PATCH them. The car was taken
there by AAA so no choice. I have no contacts down here and sears was worse.

I got 41K miles out of my lously goodyear assurance tires and all 4 worn on the edges.

just an FYI, I have lost 3mpg and the ride as of 800miles is awesome compared to my old goodyears.
****** do not buy these tires if you have to drive thru snow ******

~Carmine
Old 10-30-09, 11:15 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

I'm on 235/50/18 (oem for LS460), BF goodrich. Super smooth

235/55/18 is in RX territory.
Old 10-30-09, 12:22 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Wow! Thanks for the replies and advice. I think im goin with the michelins fellas. Got to get those hancooks off as soon as i get the cash to. Very noisy on the inside of the car as if i were in 92 dodge spirit. If its that loud to penetrate thru an LS interior then they must go. I may stick with the original size and see how brand change turns out. Got $1330 quote from NTB today that includes tires($246 ea.),disposal fee($12),tire recycling fee($3.20), stems,lifetime balancing, lifetime rotation, road hazard,($163), and an alignment($80). PLus tax($70). What do you guys think of that price?
Old 10-30-09, 02:38 PM
danxp
Driver

got mine for $930 (incl $70 rebate) with tax and everything from costco... same size tire as yours... $1330 is outrageous... check out your local costco...
Old 10-30-09, 03:49 PM
formerMB
Driver School Candidate

also check discount tire if you have them. They are good about matching/competing, and they offer lifetime rotation AND balacing
Old 10-30-09, 05:03 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by formerMB
also check discount tire if you have them. They are good about matching/competing, and they offer lifetime rotation AND balacing
Thats what I did since im no longer with costco. Came out to $900 (after mail in rebate) and had them installed at the nearby local Toyota dealership for $50 bucks since we dont have any local discount tire. However the sale was tax free, and shipping them to my door was free.

So about $950 give or take for a set.
Old 10-30-09, 06:39 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Thats what I did since im no longer with costco. Came out to $900 (after mail in rebate) and had them installed at the nearby local Toyota dealership for $50 bucks since we dont have any local discount tire. However the sale was tax free, and shipping them to my door was free.

So about $950 give or take for a set.
Do you know if they offer any kind road hazard protection with that?
Old 11-01-09, 02:50 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by danxp
fyi... hankook tires are korean
That's what I meant. Thank you.

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Use this calculator to find the size closer to spec:

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp
LOVE that calculator gizmo!!!!
Old 11-02-09, 06:35 AM