LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

fuel/tank issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-09, 08:10 PM
ebolger
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
The redesigned new fuel filler pipe works perfect.
Are you offering to pay for my fix?

Old 11-03-09, 09:17 PM
Vpanin
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toantran99
New pdf.....
Hey toantran where do you get these pdfs?
Old 11-04-09, 11:40 AM
toantran99
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Vpanin
Hey toantran where do you get these pdfs?
www.ondemand5.com
Old 11-20-09, 10:16 PM
ebolger
Rookie

I am very surprised that there has not been more attention to this problem.

The factory has clearly built a defective product and wants the owner to pay for it.
Old 11-21-09, 07:01 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

I had this issue happen to me last week when I filled the tank. I had it happen maybe a couple of times previously, which I passed of as an extreme heat problem(108F in Phoenix). But after reading about a TSB on this forum I asked my Lexus dealer about it (with a copy of the TBS in hand) and requested that it be done.

He said they would take care of it. Will do with my oil change next week.My LS430 is a 2004 with 55,000 miles.
Old 11-21-09, 10:09 AM
ebolger
Rookie

Unfortunately there are a few of us poor people that bought older cars....2001.

When I bought the car in April it had 97K on it. I did the 90K service at that time and dropped $2K to that dealer. But when asked about the problem they told me that it was not covered and that if I wanted it repaired it would be $500. Ieven have it in writing on a work order with the dealer.

I really feel that this is a rip-off. It is a manufacturers defect but Lexus is not owning up to their responsibility IMO.
Old 11-21-09, 11:57 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

The TSB was issued o May 25, 2006 and covered 2001-2005 LS430. You might appeal to Lexus corporation level and try to get them to do it on a courtesy basis. They do that sometimes, overriding the local dealer.

Hope that would work for you.
Old 11-21-09, 02:16 PM
ebolger
Rookie

Thanks.

I will try that.

Old 11-21-09, 03:34 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ebolger
Thanks.

I will try that.

I would tell that that you are greatly embarrassed when you tank up and have trouble which results in holding up the line. It also reflects badly on Lexus when people see a problem with an LS430. You always want to be proud of driving a Lexus, not embarrassed of it.

Be firm, and plead with them if you have to.

Basically, give them a reason to want to help you instead of trying to demand that they owe it to you.
Old 11-22-11, 12:24 PM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to bump a 2 year old thread.... but just got off the phone with Lexus and they tell me I need to get an inspection first and then report back to them with the diagnosis and then maybe they might can offer something in means of help gettin' er fixed.
btw, I'm way past warranty....
Anyone else having this problem lately? I'm getting tired of pumping fuel into er.... rather not drive any more its so irritating.

Gotta get this problem fixed! any help is appreciated.
Old 11-22-11, 06:07 PM
hoonunya
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 05. I bought it from the original owner in 09 so I don't know that the bulletin was done. If I hold the handle straight down it will click off. If I swing the handle about 45 degrees to the left then no problem.
Old 11-23-11, 01:32 AM
GoldGS3
Pole Position

I have the same problem with my 05 - bought a CPO. You would think that Lexus dealership would have fixed it before certifying it and selling it as a CPO.

I bought a CPO so that I wouldn't have to deal with issues like this.

So, Lexus Corporate office knew about it and issued a TSB for a fix. Who received this bulletin? When? Did you guys receive this bulletin in mail, email, voice mail, text message?

Lexus Corporate office should have proactively notified current owners and fixed it when it learned of the defect rather than obligating the customer to detect and submit a request for a fix. Honda notified me of POSSIBLE problem and suggested to bring in the car for inspection. When I did take my Honda to the dealer it replaced the part that MAY be defective. Now, that is standing behind and taking care of your product.

My car also hesitates (won't accelerate) for a split second while making a right turn from dead stop. I thought it was odd, but I think there is a TSB for low speed transmission issue. I read a thread in CL regarding low speed transmission pattern update. Apparently Lexus Corporate office knew about this issue too and issued a TSB.

Dealer that certified and sold the car didn't tell me about such possible issues with the car it was selling.

Any suggestion how to resolve this matter is appreciated.

ps: Any other TSB or fix I should know about and get it/them fixed along with gas filler and transmission issue?

Last edited by GoldGS3; 11-23-11 at 01:36 AM.
Old 11-23-11, 03:25 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GoldGS3
I have the same problem with my 05 - bought a CPO. You would think that Lexus dealership would have fixed it before certifying it and selling it as a CPO.

I bought a CPO so that I wouldn't have to deal with issues like this.

So, Lexus Corporate office knew about it and issued a TSB for a fix. Who received this bulletin? When? Did you guys receive this bulletin in mail, email, voice mail, text message?

Lexus Corporate office should have proactively notified current owners and fixed it when it learned of the defect rather than obligating the customer to detect and submit a request for a fix. Honda notified me of POSSIBLE problem and suggested to bring in the car for inspection. When I did take my Honda to the dealer it replaced the part that MAY be defective. Now, that is standing behind and taking care of your product.

My car also hesitates (won't accelerate) for a split second while making a right turn from dead stop. I thought it was odd, but I think there is a TSB for low speed transmission issue. I read a thread in CL regarding low speed transmission pattern update. Apparently Lexus Corporate office knew about this issue too and issued a TSB.

Dealer that certified and sold the car didn't tell me about such possible issues with the car it was selling.

Any suggestion how to resolve this matter is appreciated.

ps: Any other TSB or fix I should know about and get it/them fixed along with gas filler and transmission issue?
My car was a CPO and I purchased a Lexus Platinum extended warranty. I didn't discover the fule filling problem until nearly a year later as it only occurred a few times. I had the recall done at a different dealer than who I bought it from. There was no question about them doing the recall at no charge to me or the warranty.

If you dealer gives you a problem, contact Lexus directly and explain to them.
Old 11-25-11, 10:37 AM
danxp
Driver

Originally Posted by GoldGS3
my car had a bit of a hesitation and then i did the maf sensor and throttle body cleaning and it made a world of difference... do a search and give it a shot and let us know...
Old 11-28-11, 06:55 AM
ebolger
Rookie

I find that the problem is intermittent and that some gas stations (brands) do not cause the problem. For example, Chevron stations rarely cause a problem. Whereas Raley's is almost 100%. It may have something to do with the gas filters on the pumps. It is an annoyance but not a major issue. I would have tought that Lexus would step up and fix something they knew was a problem instead of telling their customers they must shell out $500 for something they did not know existed.

I have not been back to the dealer since my 97,000 big service fleecing.

I now have 161,000 and no problems.

Quick Reply: fuel/tank issues