LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

All season tires: someone convince me not to buy the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-10, 09:05 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Wow that's pretty strange but it certainly sounds like the Primacy tires are the issue on your specific car. Kinda obvious but I assume your alignment is set per Lexus spec? It seems doubtful that its a wheel specific issue - like something foreign left in the wheel during mounting - some weird weight that's catching air? Does the noise change characteristic based on the surface or is it just speed related? The noise really should change tone and frequency based on various driving surfaces (smooth, rough, asphalt, concrete) if its purely tire related.

You might try another totally new set of Primacy just to see if its a fluke with the current set you have or just go with the Pilots and be done with it.
Old 03-22-10, 10:37 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mikevanle
I6turbo, any pics of the LS with the LE37's? I used to have bronze TE37's but I didn't think the Volks match very well with the LS. Curious as to see what yours looks like.
There's a photo in Post #9 of this thread. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...lack-05-a.html
I admire the TE37 wheel family a lot, plus I wanted something lightweight to help minimize the performance drawbacks of larger wheels/tires (my staggered 19" wheels and tires are lighter than the factory 17's), plus I'm not much of a VIP fan, so I did it with the Volks. I like it, but it's not for everyone.
Old 03-22-10, 11:45 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Jim, I'm impressed with your dealer's thoroughness.
Yes, I thought it was great! I've purchased a lot of cars from them in the past as well as referred many others to them who have purchased cars there. Plus, they know I'm relentless about fixing any issues with my cars. I don't stop until a problem is resolved to my satisfaction. They probably quiver a little bit when they see me walking through the door.

It certainly was nice of the other LS430 owner to let them take all his wheels off and put them on my car. It saved everyone involved a lot of time and me a lot of aggravation.

Plus, the dealer didn't charge me a penny!

Jim
Old 03-22-10, 11:50 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JimsGX
It certainly was nice of the other LS430 owner to let them take all his wheels off and put them on my car.
... especially when you did all those smoky burnouts to make sure the howling wasn't there.
Old 03-22-10, 12:24 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by caddyowner
... especially when you did all those smoky burnouts to make sure the howling wasn't there.
For a split second I thought about leaving the Dunlop Sport 5000's on my car and bolting the Primacy's onto his, but having read the Tire Rack reviews on the Dunlop's, I would probably be better off with the howling Michelin's!
Old 03-27-10, 08:00 AM
m8554
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 1999 LS400 and a 2003 LS430. Both have Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires on them. The LS400 tire size is 225/60/16. The LS430 tire size is 225/55/17. The LS430 rides stiffer and does not handle road expansion joints or road imperfections as smoothly as the LS400. Could this be due to the 55 series sidewall vs. the 60 series? Also, the old car has 138000 miles while the new only has 19000. Maybe I'm just used to the old car ride but I would like the new one to ride softer.
Old 03-27-10, 11:29 AM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

I used to always buy Michelin tires. My last set of Michelin MXV4s lasted 40,000 miles, which did not impress me since I am easy on my tires and always keep them properly inflated. No doubt Michelin makes a good tire, but they are also very overpriced in my opinion.

Last yearI needed new tires and felt like saving $250 so I bought a set of Yokohamas, they are just as good in every way. I am done paying for Michelin's huge marketing programs and overpriced products.
Old 03-27-10, 01:49 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Stu
I used to always buy Michelin tires. My last set of Michelin MXV4s lasted 40,000 miles, which did not impress me since I am easy on my tires and always keep them properly inflated. No doubt Michelin makes a good tire, but they are also very overpriced in my opinion.

Last yearI needed new tires and felt like saving $250 so I bought a set of Yokohamas, they are just as good in every way. I am done paying for Michelin's huge marketing programs and overpriced products.
40k is a lot for a set of tires imo, so I would be very satisfied with them. I think I replace my tires like when it's down to about 3/10" thread left. It's a little early, but I'm cautious with hydroplaning.
Old 03-27-10, 05:05 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by m8554
I have a 1999 LS400 and a 2003 LS430. Both have Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires on them. The LS400 tire size is 225/60/16. The LS430 tire size is 225/55/17. The LS430 rides stiffer and does not handle road expansion joints or road imperfections as smoothly as the LS400. Could this be due to the 55 series sidewall vs. the 60 series? Also, the old car has 138000 miles while the new only has 19000. Maybe I'm just used to the old car ride but I would like the new one to ride softer.
Your LS400 has 140k on dem shocks! It similar to comparing a Serta mattress bought in 1999 to a newer mattress. If you're like me, that mattress from 1999 has seen a lot of pushin' -up and down motion- against it.

It's really not a fair tire comparison on those 2 different vehicles.
Old 03-27-10, 09:43 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Hi,

I wanted to provide an update on my howling Primacy tires in the 18" size... The tire shop installed four Michelin Pilot A/S Plus tires in their place yesterday. The howling noise I was having with the Primacy's is gone... Like I6Turbo and some others said, the Pilot A/S Plus tires are very impressive. They actually give a nicer ride than the Primacy MXV4's in the 18" size. They soak up the bumps better, and they stick to the road like glue! The car tracks straight as an arrow. This may sound strange to some, but the tires are extremely round and true. I think this is due to the manufacturing process that Michelin uses on these tires. Its called C3M... Its a totally different manufacturing process than many of Michelin's and other manufacturers tires. The process has been around since 1991 I believe. I think its been perfected. I thought I would be disappointed with the Pilot A/S Plus tires given my past good experience with the Primacy's, but boy was I wrong! The tires really shine on the highway too. I ran them up to almost double the posted speed limit and they were smooth as silk! Initially, the tire noise was a little more than the Primacy's, but I think they've quieted down a little bit over the last 75 miles. Also, there's better steering feel and response at the wheel. They've really transformed the LS into something more than I thought a tire could, or the LS was intended to be. Its given the LS some sportiness without sacrificing ride quality. Can you tell I like them yet!

Thanks,

Jim
Old 03-28-10, 04:03 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^
That's great news, Jim. I'll make a note of that because I will likely be buying new tires within a year. The selling dealer installed GY Eagle RSAs on my car. If they perform like the Eagle RSA's on my SRX when new, they will start howling and thumping within about 12K miles.
Old 03-28-10, 05:18 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Ha! Lets hope that doesn't happen!

In a year from now I'll be happy to give you a review before you make your purchase. I should have maybe 8k miles on them by then. I'll be taking them off in December and running either Blizzak's or Michelin X-Ice for the winter on a second set of stock rims. The Pilot Sport A/S Plus do have a bit more road noise to them than the Primacy's, but there's a huge difference in handling and performance in favor of the Pilot's. Plus like I said earlier, they ride much better than the 18" Primacy's over bumps and potholes. Also, with the Primacy's you get a pinging noise over abrupt bumps and expansion joints on the roads. I experience this with the 17" Primacy's on my LS400 and the 18" version I had on the LS430 for a few weeks...

Jim
Old 03-28-10, 12:49 PM
m8554
Rookie

Jim said the Pilots ride better than the Primacy MXV4 on 18 inch wheels. Anyone have the Pilot Sport A/S Plus on 17 inch wheels they can comment on vs the Primacy MXV4s. I'm mainly interested in a softer ride.
Old 03-29-10, 05:29 AM
KINGLS430
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yokohama ADVAN 4's didn't get a better review on tire rack but my friend dad has them on his AUDI S8 and he said they are the best tire he's ever purchased. All season wise of course.
Old 03-29-10, 08:22 AM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

I look at tirerack's own comparision rather than what "people" rate the tires as. Because often people will give tires ratings without direct comparision to other tires. Whereas tirerack will put the tires on slaloms and tracks in the almost same condition except for the tires. So essentially, you are comparing the tires direction with almost all other conditions remaining the same.