LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

My Dealer overfilled my engine oil during the change.............

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-09, 11:57 PM
Vpanin
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My Dealer overfilled my engine oil during the change.............

All dealers seem to do this. How does this happen........I would think they would definately know the correct amount to replenish. Am I the only one who gets treated this way?? : (
Old 11-03-09, 04:57 AM
toantran99
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Talk to the service manager.
Old 11-03-09, 07:33 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

and which dealer in NY did u go to.....bay ridge and manhattan sucks. i would drain some out asap.
Old 11-03-09, 10:11 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dumb question, but how do you know it was overfilled? Is it way beyond the full line on the dip stick, or just over a little?
Old 11-03-09, 10:37 PM
Vpanin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Dumb question, but how do you know it was overfilled? Is it way beyond the full line on the dip stick, or just over a little?
Beyond the full line by a good amount.........It was Lexus of smithtown that did it. I bought my car there recently and i had a complementary oil change.
Old 11-04-09, 02:18 AM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
and which dealer in NY did u go to.....bay ridge and manhattan sucks. i would drain some out asap.
I would insist the dealership dain some of the oil and I would retain a copy of the service ticket in my car's file for as long as I owned it.
They should do another complete oil change.
I would not pay for anything I have mentioned above.
Old 11-04-09, 04:27 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Rx

Originally Posted by Vpanin
Beyond the full line by a good amount.........It was Lexus of smithtown that did it. I bought my car there recently and i had a complementary oil change.
Wow, my RX was from Smithtown Lexus. Never been there as I bought it used offlease from a friend.

Anyway, back to topic. I would go back, show them they overfilled and have them not just drain some out but REDO the while oil change.

I guess when they said "oil, filter, and lube" they mean "add more oil, keep the filter, and lube you wallet" although it was free...
Old 11-04-09, 08:09 AM
Vpanin
Pole Position

HAHA. I wouldnt buy from Smithtown lexus.........didNT have a good experience buying my dream car
Old 11-04-09, 08:11 AM
Vpanin
Pole Position

I dont want to go back there. Its 1 hour away. I think Im gonna have to suck this one up
Old 11-04-09, 10:21 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Stinks that they're so far away. Are you further east of Smithtown? If you're west of Smithtown, how about run to Rallye Lexus in Glen Cove? I don't have experience with them, but they're another one out on L.I..

Otherwise, just drain the excess out slowly if you're a DIY person.
Old 11-04-09, 10:42 AM
Vpanin
Pole Position

I think Im gonna try Glen Cove
Old 11-04-09, 06:02 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

How would you drain the excess off? Nothing comes out of the oil pan until the bolt is 100% out - then good luck trying to re-insert it before it all drains down your arm into your shirt!
Old 11-04-09, 06:23 PM
BC Rider
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had to do it myself to correct the dealer screwup I'd drop a small tube into the dipstick hole and pump out the excess amount.

Either way I'd correct it as soon as possible to avoid beginning of an oil leak through a seal. Once a leak develops the surfaces become oil wetted and the leak won't go away even if you return to the proper level.
Old 11-04-09, 06:31 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Hold it in...

Originally Posted by campisi
How would you drain the excess off? Nothing comes out of the oil pan until the bolt is 100% out - then good luck trying to re-insert it before it all drains down your arm into your shirt!
Unscrew the bolt... using inward pressure. At some point it will be fully out but by putting inward force and holding bolt in place, you can control the flow. Let some oil out, then put plug back in and tighten and check.
Old 11-04-09, 07:05 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Unscrew the bolt... using inward pressure. At some point it will be fully out but by putting inward force and holding bolt in place, you can control the flow. Let some oil out, then put plug back in and tighten and check.
Obviously, do that when the engine is COLD...or else ewwh! oWW! ewwh! oWW! HOT HOT HOT!...you won't have much fingerprints left, and then you will slowly scald your wrist and palm area, and your arm down to your elbow burned in a down dripping pattern, then you'll have a concussion because you'll hit your head on the undercarriage when all this takes place..lol!

If you're DIY, just drain it ENTIRELY into a clean drain pan then re-fill it to the proper level?!

Quick Reply: My Dealer overfilled my engine oil during the change.............