LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Safelite windshield - Rain sensor gone wild!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-20, 06:26 PM
WILLYumD
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by mhiga
To save you all time and frustration regarding your windshield with Safelite, this is the review I posted on their website verbatim:

The installers (Moe & Chris) and the manager (Duane) were top notch! ...so why only 2 stars? After a Fuyao brand windshield was installed in my car, the rain sensor stopped working correctly. I had to do my own research to find out that the rain sensor would only work with OEM Lexus glass or PGW glass. I explained my finding to the manager and he said that Fuyao makes OEM glass and that he would like to see what a new sensor would do. I spent more than the glass install to purchase a new sensor only to find out that it still did not work.

Frustrated, I called around to other glass shops in the area and found a PGW glass at a competitor who said to just let Safelite know as they buy/sell glass to one another on a fairly common basis. I advised Duane (Safelite manager) of my findings and he said that he will get the glass for me and we set an appointment. Few days later, I go in for my appointment and wait for about 30 minutes only to find that the glass was not picked-up from the other glass company yet and waited another 30+ minutes to find out the glass had an imperfection. They asked if I wanted to proceed. I did not. I asked if they can get a PGW shipped in and they said that they could so I decided to wait.

They found a PGW and ordered it. About 10 days later, it arrived and turned out to be another Fuyao brand so they reordered it and another 10 days later, the PGW finally arrived. We set an appointment, had it installed, wiper sensor still did not work (with the old sensor) so we tried the new one that I had purchased and all worked well.

From start to finish the whole process took 3 months 4/20 - 7/21. There are 3 things that displeases me:

1) My time that was wasted in this whole process (I can never get that back).

2) Duane had mentioned that if the PGW didn't work, I would be charged the cost of a new install. From a management point of view, I totally understand this and actually accept it. However, if the old sensor worked, would Safelite cover the cost of a new sensor? (By the way, I'll mention it again, the sensor cost more than the install). It's like saying all the risk is carried by the customer.

3) This is what upsets me the most...This is not the 1st time Safelite came across this problem. See Lexus forum here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...gone-wild.html. If this is a known problem, why would a so-called respectable company not have this information in their database? It would save Safelite & the customer so much aggravation.

My rating for the LOCAL Safelite branch of the staff and manager is 5 stars across the board. My rating for the company - 2 starts.

Note to other 01 - 06 Lexus LS 430 owners: Only get PGW glass and go to Lexus and get an OEM gel pad (goes between sensor and windshield). It is the only combination that works.

Note to Safelite: This review will be posted verbatim on the same forum I mentioned earlier. Let's hope that you have updated your database by then..
I went through something similar to your initial struggle.
Collision insurance in Florida is no deductible for windshields, and of course, Geico uses Safelite.
Schedule through Geico,
Me: "Hey, this car has a rain sensor that does not play well with Safelite's Fuyao glass, please advise Safelite to order PGW glass which is a known substitute for the crazy expensive OEM glass."
Geico rep: "Oh, yeah, sure, will do, it's on the work order!"
(It was not on the work order.)

Go into Safelite:
Me: "Hey, this car has a rain sensor that does not play well with Fuyao glass, can you guys order PGW?"
Safelite rep: "Uh, what, never heard of an issue like that."
I was too busy with other things to fight it, and I convinced myself to be optimistic about the Fuyao.

Safelite tech: "Uh, everything's working, look I'm squirting water and it's wiping automatically."
Me: "Okay, stop squirting water."
(The car keeps on wiping.)
Safelite tech: "Oh... well... it's probably the rain sensor, we'll replace that for you."

Safelite goes ahead and comps the rain sensor and pad from Lexus, do the replacement, same issue.
(Really big brain business move on their end...)

I was too tired to fight it any further, so I will have to go through this dance fully next time I need my windshield replaced. In the meantime, I unplugged the rain sensor so the car can revert to the intermittent option.
Old 07-21-20, 07:08 PM
mhiga
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about that. After reading this thread, I was fairly confident that the PGW would work and indeed it does. Thanks to forums like these, big business have a hard time trying to cheat. Very glad that you were not charged for the rain sensor. In my case, itt was not even offered. Instead, it was suggested that I go out and get a new sensor.
Old 07-21-20, 10:24 PM
CSA
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

This is all good information. My LS has a couple of small rock induced stars in an inconspicuous part of the windshield near the A pillar on the passenger side. I think I'm going to try the epoxy route first in the hopes of not having to monkey with the windshield. I'm concerned about a replacement resulting in increased noise, rain sensor problems, leaks, etc.
Old 07-22-20, 04:45 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mhiga
Sorry to hear about that. After reading this thread, I was fairly confident that the PGW would work and indeed it does. Thanks to forums like these, big business have a hard time trying to cheat. Very glad that you were not charged for the rain sensor. In my case, itt was not even offered. Instead, it was suggested that I go out and get a new sensor.
Not to tell the story again but on one of my cars I insisted on OE, and I had to be on the phone for 40 minutes. I thought about this. Isn't health insurance the same? My son was born. 4 months later I get a bill for $9,000 for 3 days in the hospital afterwards. I said wait a sec, child born, 3 weeks later, birth certificate submitted, so he's covered back to the day he was born. The person said, that's true, but in your case, it's not. HUH??? lol But with the windshield I had to keep insisting it doesn't matter what my reason is, I don't want the $129 windshield, I want the $800 one (think it's even more on the LS). My deductible is the same either way, I'm not looking to save you on the claim.

And windshield actually is like hvac. The end result has a lot to do with the installation. Ask anybody, and think about it from a human aspect. Can you successfully install a windshield at someone's driveway when it's 10F outside, or would the result be better inside a shop where there is room, tools, and it's 68F inside? My other suggestion is to take your car to the shop, as opposed to having a van come to work or home. I've tried both ways.
Old 07-22-20, 06:16 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 276 Likes on 233 Posts

At the time of my original car purchase (over 10 years ago), my windshield had a chip/star dead in front of my view. Safelite showed up and attempted the repair. The tech called me over to show me the tiny star spread further and I needed a windshield. I had the option to call my Ins Co and request an OEM. I happened to have Allstate at that time and they agreed on OEM with no questions asked. I lucked out. Yes, the installation is very important as well.
Old 07-22-20, 07:47 AM
tiglesias
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I found the rain sensing system to be frustrating. I did not care for the program used to determine swipe cycle nor the fact that it shuts down at red lights. I have a 06 LS 430 and had the dealer deactivate it during my personal settings set up.
Now I can control the wiper intermittent cycle using the "auto" thumb wheel. I also have set the wipers to give me a final swipe of the blades 5 seconds after I use the wash cycle on order to clear any residual water off the windshield. I love that feature!