LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Headlight Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-09, 04:01 PM
George Tor
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Headlight Adjustment

A few weeks ago the headlight adjustment light along with the the warning signal . It keeps getting worse. Since then it has gotten worse and the signal comes on about every two minutes. The headlights do not seem to be out of adjustment. Can anyone help? It's driving me crazy
Old 11-07-09, 05:47 PM
Tee

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Each headlight has a computer that controls the lights movement, the waning is that one of the computers have gone bad.
Old 11-08-09, 02:41 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've noticed that the cut-off line from my headlights are angled about 45* and not straight on the road. Is that just an easy adjustment?
Old 11-08-09, 03:28 PM
Tee

Not when the AFS warning light is popping up, you will need to go to the dealer to find out which sensor (front or back) is malfunctioning. It won't be cheap if your warranty is expired.
Old 11-08-09, 04:38 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee
Not when the AFS warning light is popping up, you will need to go to the dealer to find out which sensor (front or back) is malfunctioning. It won't be cheap if your warranty is expired.
Well the light isn't coming on the dash, the lines on the road just aren't horizontal, more like diagonal.
Old 11-08-09, 07:41 PM
Tee

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
Well the light isn't coming on the dash, the lines on the road just aren't horizontal, more like diagonal.
Okay then you are in good shape, you just need to re-aim your off headlight which easy enough.

1st- You will need a ratchet & a 10mm socket

2nd- Park on a flat surface in front of wall with headlights on.

3rd- Behind each low beam headlight there are holes, stick the ratchet socket into the hole and turn to adjust the desired height. This will also adjust both low and high beams at the same time, that's it you are done.
Old 11-09-09, 07:57 AM
alanchad
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee
Okay then you are in good shape, you just need to re-aim your off headlight which easy enough.

1st- You will need a ratchet & a 10mm socket

2nd- Park on a flat surface in front of wall with headlights on.

3rd- Behind each low beam headlight there are holes, stick the ratchet socket into the hole and turn to adjust the desired height. This will also adjust both low and high beams at the same time, that's it you are done.
Tee, is there a rule of thumb as to where headlights should shine on the roadway (how far ahead, left or right, etc for each side, both low and high beam? Should the high and low beams both point to the same area?

Are you saying both high and low beams height are moved at the same time with the single adjustment?

How about left or right adjustment?

Thanks for helping one who is easily confused,

Alan
Old 11-09-09, 06:11 PM
Tee

Tee, is there a rule of thumb as to where headlights should shine on the roadway (how far ahead, left or right, etc for each side, both low and high beam? Should the high and low beams both point to the same area?

I don't know what the rule of thumb is but after I adjusted mine (b/c the factory aimed them to low) I went for a quick drive thru the subdivision several times until I got them where I liked.

Are you saying both high and low beams height are moved at the same time with the single adjustment?

Yes, if you want to adjust them separately it more labor intensive.

How about left or right adjustment?

There are no left right & right adjustments.