LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Need your help...is this a fair price and is car legit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-09, 09:46 AM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need your help...is this a fair price and is car legit?

What do you guys think of this car and is it a good deal. I'm wary because its not a Lexus dealership (but they have good feedback)...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOD-L...3#full-history

Same car:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

We're ideally looking for the new LS, but it seems a bit too expensive right now and a friend recommended the old LS which is a beautiful car as well. I only started my search this past week but I really like this one (I've not seen it in person) but I want to know if it is worth pursuing. Perhaps I can get it for low 20s?
Old 11-14-09, 11:01 AM
Budhah
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not a bad price. friend paid 33k for an 06 like this with 27k miles. Bought in Feb of this year. Had a few chips in front , but nice car and he is happy with it. Make sure the 60k mile service is done, as it can cost you a bundle. Tire looks good, or would have needed new ones. Be sure to check what kind of tire they put on if replaces, which looks to be the case. The rubber meeting the road is as important as the rest of the car, in my opinion.

Says remainder of factory warranty, good luck there as it is 53+k already.
Old 11-14-09, 12:31 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It looks worth checking out. As for warranty, there is probably powertrain warranty remaining.
Old 11-14-09, 05:55 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

^yea I talked to them so the deal is:

I talked to the dealership and they say the car is in excellent condition and everything is working fine and the only remaining warranty is the powertrain. I still have to see the car and they are a fairly high volume dealer for a private dealership. They also have good feedback on eBay so I'd think I may believe them the cars in great condition--though of course before we even consider buying I'd have to drive it and check it out in person. Car is one owner, no problems at least in carfax, the car was bought as an auction car from JM Lexus (which is the largest volume Lex dealership and happens to be 10 mins from our house)...that sketches me out because you'd think they rather sell it non certified at the dealership BUT perhaps it was beyond its 60 days and at 53k miles they don't want to CPO it...

Regardless what do yo guys think about the car or should I wait (Ideally I would want less miles)? What is the price I should expect for a '06 with Nav / ML / Backup cam?

THANKS!
Old 11-15-09, 07:06 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Ask them why they wholesaled it? Usually the dealer will tell you the service history of the car if it was Lexus serviced. Ask to talk to the previous owner or have him call you. I would do this all as you where having them give it an inspection and pay 125 bucks or so. Of course explain you want to bring the car there for service work and ask even what service work you can schedule with them if you buy it, whether you plan on taking it there or not.
Old 11-15-09, 07:17 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Here is the deal in DFW area on Lexus. The Lexus dealers typically buy all the nice cars at the auction and CPO them and sell them on their used car lots. At least in the DFW area they can sell as many used LS430 CPO cars as they can get from trade ins and from buying nice cars at the auction. So for the most part the cars at the auction that the Lexus dealers pass on have issues - high miles, significant accident repairs, bad service history, trashed interiors, etc. Same thing for Lexus trade ins - the dealer will keep the nice cars and CPO them and send the dogs to the auction. I am not sure how it works in other markets where demand for used CPO LS 430 may not be that high. So if you find a low cost LS from a third party dealer that came thru the auction you need to be very careful (assume the Lexus dealers passed on the car due to some issues). Definitely take it to a Lexus dealer for a inspection before buying. I have heard of auction cars having clean carfax being inspected and finding huge hidden accident repair damage. I one case it appeared that the entire rear half of an LS had been replaced by welding on a replacement rear end section but carfax was magically clean. Personally I made the decision to buy a CPO car from Lexus as I felt the premium cost was worth not just for the peace of mind but also to get access to better inventory as the CPO cars were in generally way better condition with cleaner history and service records. An alternative good way to buy a really mint car is from private party - you can do well but you have to be extremely careful and lucky as most LS430 owners keep the car for years or they trade the cars in when 2-4 years old.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 11-15-09 at 07:22 AM.
Old 11-18-09, 05:16 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

I'm really interested in this one as this seems to be a good deal...but I'm always wary about good deals PLEASE any incite?

IF I were to buy this car do you think I can go to Lexus and have them give me an extended warranty on it and how much?
Old 11-18-09, 07:15 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

If I were you, I'd insist this private dealer has it "inspected" at the local Lexus dealer. It costs around $200-$300 and they will inspect it from top to bottom, inside and out, and advise of issues with a written report. It's similar to a inspection for certification.

Additionally, there can be some quirky items like the fuel filler neck/nozzle, transmission software update, steering wheel tilt/telescoping noise issue, etc. INQUIRE IF ALL TSB'S HAVE BEEN PERFORMED!

Have the private dealer pay for the inspection and then agree to buy it for $24,500 if it inspects without any significant issues that need correcting (say more than $500?)

At Manheim (wholesale) these were the 2006's that sold last Thursday...

2006...LS430...47,941...BLACK...$24,500
2006...LS430...38,433...BLACK...$24,000
2006...LS430...61,870...GREY... $18,750
2006...LS430...33,531...BLUON...$27,000

Let us know how you make out! Good luck!