LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

I'm going to buy it! 2006 Black / Black LS430 ML...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-09, 03:04 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I'm going to buy it! 2006 Black / Black LS430 ML...

So after looking for a bit I found the car that I feel suit my father's needs: reliable / smooth. It also suffices for what I wanted and thats NAV / ML speakers / Backup cam. We want to find an LS460 but prices are too high right now and we hope they will drop.

Here is the car:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOD-L...item35a4ffa90c

I spent a lot of time researching this vehicle. The car was bought and serviced at Lexus of Clearwater and sold there and then subsequently sold as a CPO in June which is good along with new tires / new brakes. I spoke to the service rep who managed that particular car and he told me everything AND SCDROPTOP (aka the man) got me a print out of ALL services it had done so I was able to talk to the service rep (Jake) at Lex of Clearwater to make sure all was well--which it seems to be. I also checked carfax / autocheck for what they are worth and they were also clean. The car was traded into Mercedes of Tampa (next to Clearwater) and then bought in a dealer auction from the dealership I want to buy the car from. I checked out the whole car for all OEM VIN stickers on all the parts and EVEN brought a paint meter which showed no real abnormalities. Then I took the car to JM Lexus (where we purchased our cars new) and had them take a look and they gave me the okay. I feel a bit safer after all this BUT I wanted to know anything else you guys would recommend to look at. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

The swiveling vents didn't work on the mid-driver side which isn't a deal breaker for me, but is something that annoys me...how much is this to fix and how often do they go "out"
Old 11-20-09, 03:55 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If it was sold as a CPO, is the warranty transferrable to you?
Old 11-20-09, 04:16 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

^unfortunately no ...it just gives me security that it was a CPO not to long ago...the risk lies in the 6 months since it was sold as a "CPO" and everything seems to have checked out fine...tomorrow I'm going to overlook everything just to make sure and was hoping for more help for things to look for--I searched as well...
Old 11-20-09, 09:00 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

What is original in service date? never mind over 50k so no warranty. Beautiful car.

But even with no remaining factory warranty it does sound like you checked it out very well. Maybe make the buy offer contingent on the seller fixing the vent. Or maybe consider buying an extended warranty - they are about $2500 for 3 years 50k - check with your insurance agent, they typically sell them at better prices than Lexus. However lots of bad warranty sellers out there so you have to be careful.

My only concern is that you might be able to get a Lexus CPO car for not that much more and buy directly from a Lexus dealer and have a 3 year warranty. You might have to go with an 05 instead of an 06 but the cars are identical. I typically hate car dealers in general but I have to say buying a used car from Lexus is a really nice experience. They bend over backwards to make sure you are absolutely happy.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 11-20-09 at 09:06 PM.
Old 11-21-09, 05:18 AM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Jabberwock,
I really tried to get one (even an '04/'05) with similar options and miles CPO at 4 diff Lexus dealers in the S Fla area and they were having none of it...the asking price was 34k average! They offered base models for 26.9 at best...I rather have some options in the car. There was no way they were willing to drop down almost 8K with the optioned out 34k car...I appreciate the advice and I RATHER BUY USED FROM LEXUS but we need a car very soon and my dad figures if this car gives us a good 5 years we'll be more than content (which from my research I know it will at the least)...any other advice before we make it official at 12:15 today? THANKS!
Old 11-21-09, 05:45 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I remember seeing this ML online and thought it looked quite nice. When I saw the dealer name and location I wondered if there was something shady in the car's past. It appears that you've researched that, though. I say - go for it - assuming your dad wants black/black in FL.
Old 11-21-09, 08:19 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Agree - if you have tried to get a CPO car at Lexus and they won't budge off that number than the other car is a better deal particularly since you have extensively checked it out. Price is pretty good even if you pay for a third party warranty. Good luck. Its a great looking car. Please keep us informed as to how it turns out over time.
Old 11-22-09, 09:06 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by IStoSC
I really tried to get one (even an '04/'05) with similar options and miles CPO at 4 diff Lexus dealers in the S Fla area and they were having none of it...the asking price was 34k average! They offered base models for 26.9 at best. There was no way they were willing to drop down almost 8K with the optioned out 34k car...I appreciate the advice and I RATHER BUY USED FROM LEXUS but..
Bro---with wholesale prices for 06's ranging anywhere between $22k-$26k, you TOTALLY did the right thing by not getting it from a Lexus dealer asking in the mid 30's!

While it may feel "safer" buying from the Lexus dealer, if you do your homework (as appears you did), you shouldn't be skerrrd (as sojah says) buying from a private dealer!
Old 11-24-09, 02:52 PM
IMXCITD
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

It looks super clean and very sharp! I would love to own it!!