LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Burnt tranny fluid smell...anyone have tanny problems?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-09, 03:14 PM
dennass69
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Burnt tranny fluid smell...anyone have tanny problems?

so after 10+ hrs of non stop driving except for gas and taking a leak, thru 2 passes and holding speeds of 80, 90 mph i stopped for gas and the worst stench of burnt transmission fluid was coming from my LS430...WTF

it started to hold a higher gear and it felt like the vehicle was under load. (hard to keep the car at 60mph) then all of the sudden it would drive normal again. I ended up driving the last 40 miles to my buddies house.

I left the car overnight and drove it the next day, no shifting issues, no sounds, no smell, no longer felt like under load.

The car has 64k miles and i would have drained the fluid myself but the tranny is a sealed unit and the fluid needs to be pumped out and back in by the dealor.

I have an appointment monday evening to get the fluid changed and have it checked out.

anyone have anything like this? any ideas? the dummy light is on and the dash says maint reqd... i cant even restet the light

i have an appointment monday evening and will get it check out
Old 11-22-09, 07:39 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

If the ATF smells burnt, it's shot. If the fluid is gone and/or overheats, the torque converter will become less effective. You should only run the WS-type 60K under normal driving (70mph, flat). With the high speeds over mountain passes that you describe, you might want to change it more frequently and/or install a separate tranny cooler like the LX has.
Old 11-22-09, 07:48 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by dennass69
so after 10+ hrs of non stop driving except for gas and taking a leak, thru 2 passes and holding speeds of 80, 90 mph i stopped for gas and the worst stench of burnt transmission fluid was coming from my LS430...WTF

it started to hold a higher gear and it felt like the vehicle was under load. (hard to keep the car at 60mph) then all of the sudden it would drive normal again. I ended up driving the last 40 miles to my buddies house.

I left the car overnight and drove it the next day, no shifting issues, no sounds, no smell, no longer felt like under load.

The car has 64k miles and i would have drained the fluid myself but the tranny is a sealed unit and the fluid needs to be pumped out and back in by the dealor.

I have an appointment monday evening to get the fluid changed and have it checked out.

anyone have anything like this? any ideas? the dummy light is on and the dash says maint reqd... i cant even restet the light

i have an appointment monday evening and will get it check out
The MAINT REQUIRED dummy light is exactly that. It's a light that comes on after a certain amount of miles...I think 5k. The procedure to reset it is listed here......https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4562379-post2.html

As far as the burned tranny fluid goes, I hope all turns out ok...hopefully she just needs a fluid change and you were pushing her too hard/too fast on the "passes" that you mentioned??
Old 11-22-09, 08:08 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Sounds like your tranny is low on tranny fluid, hope all works out for you.
Old 11-23-09, 11:27 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, bad deal there. Hopefully it's nothing and just low fluid. As reference, I drove from NJ to Orlando last year and we went pretty much non-stop (30 min. breakfast, 40 min. lunch, two bathroom/gas breaks) over 18 hours and it was fine, although at the time, I only have 39K on her.
Old 11-25-09, 02:32 PM
dennass69
Driver School Candidate

I brought the car in tuesday and had the fluid flushed, they said it was really dirty and was over due. I drove the car for a couple days prior to bringing it in and nothing seemed wrong.

Sooo in conclusion, the trip i took was the second made in a month with basically 26hrs of driving. If anyone plans of such long distance travel ur gonna have to do a tranny flush every 30k miles. IMO it shouldnt have to be so often on a toyota, but with how expensive these cars are might as well be on the safe side.

what i think about this all.... I have plans to get rid of the car! I absolutly love the 05 LS430 in so many ways but I dont see it being the car i want to hold on to very long. If this had'nt happen my oppinion would differ...
Old 11-25-09, 03:23 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

The Lexus maintenance schedule calls for an inspection of the transmission fluid every 30,000 miles. Otherwise, they don't show a need for a tranny flush during the first 100,000 miles. You state the fluid was really dirty and over due. If you had your car service by Lexus and they allowed this to happen, I would say they are being negligent in following their own specified service schedule.

This is one reason I won't let anyone other than Lexus service my car.
Old 11-25-09, 07:22 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Although the Toyota/Lexus manuals only call for inspecting fluids, no fluid will last forever. BMW used to advertise a 100K+ mi ATF and have modified the changing interval to 60K. The SM at my dealer tells me he's seen the super long life 100k mi coolant gel after 60K mi from the AZ heat. Toyota used to never specify when to change brake fluid (just say inspect). That's why the PO of my old 4runner, who went straight by the book, never changed the fluid in 14 yrs. The water in the brake fluid ended up rusting the brake system internally, costing a lot of money to replace.

If you don't plan to keep your car over 100-120K mi, it almost doesn't matter how little maintenance you do. Any toyota/lexus will last at least that long. It's common for most people to never change their ATF (no WS) even after 100K mi, but if you wait that long, chances of tranny failure are much higher after you eventually change the ATF (residues build up break loose, destroying the internals). Also, if you drive in extreme conditions (heat, cold, high speeds, towing, climbing lots of moutains), you need to change fluids more often (there's usually an extreme condition spec in the big factory service manual). Driving fast up mountains is not unlike towing a trailer at a slower speed...the engine and tranny are under higher than average load.

Last edited by V8_Fan; 11-25-09 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-25-09, 09:36 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by jayclapp
The Lexus maintenance schedule calls for an inspection of the transmission fluid every 30,000 miles. Otherwise, they don't show a need for a tranny flush during the first 100,000 miles. You state the fluid was really dirty and over due. If you had your car service by Lexus and they allowed this to happen, I would say they are being negligent in following their own specified service schedule.
Ehhh...I'm not sure if I agree with you on this one.

Couldn't it be totally possible that the car WAS inspected properly by the dealer and all was well at the time? (pre-mountainous voyage)

This would have been BEFORE any long-haul and sustained high-speed and mountainous-terrain were ever encountered, which subsequently, burned the fluid. True?

In other words, if there was no damage or deterioration present at the time of the inspection, there's nothing the dealer could have done to prevent the fluid from deteriorating and buring due to the mountainous, sustained high speed, long haul voyages. EVEN IF they replaced the fluid beforehand, it would have deteriorated similarly. Yes?

It's only after the fluid is now burned and dark and contaminated that it should be changed (as he's having it done right now--in reality).

Basically---they can't change/flush/fix something if it's not faulty/contaminated/broken at the time of inspection.

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 11-25-09 at 09:53 PM.
Old 11-26-09, 05:56 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All in all, what sort of trip was this when we say "mountainous?" Off roading? Like I said, I did NJ to Orlando in 18 hours, doing easily 80mph in some clips and we only took three for four stops for no more than 45 min., two were just bathroom breaks. I probably did everything except mountain terrain as interstate 95 is pretty smooth. I was in no traffic to start, traffic, no traffic, then heavy traffic in Jacksonville, then cruised right into Disney.

I'd almost say that if the OP's voyage burned his transmission, then something else is wrong and he should have it checked out.
Old 11-27-09, 01:13 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Default can you say MOUNT RAINIER?

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
All in all, what sort of trip was this when we say "mountainous?" Off roading? Like I said, I did NJ to Orlando in 18 hours, doing easily 80mph in some clips and we only took three for four stops for no more than 45 min., two were just bathroom breaks. I probably did everything except mountain terrain as interstate 95 is pretty smooth. I was in no traffic to start, traffic, no traffic, then heavy traffic in Jacksonville, then cruised right into Disney.

I'd almost say that if the OP's voyage burned his transmission, then something else is wrong and he should have it checked out.
You did everything as the OP except the mountainous driving?! Ok...so what does that prove?!

Comparing an east coast cruise (from NJ to FL) to the OP's trip (Washington state) isn't a measurment worthy of comparison IMO. As you're cuising down the "Coastal Plains" (lol!), the elevation variences encountered on a trip from NJ to FL probably were no greater than 1,500'! Heck...you could probably count the # of times your LS downshifted from 6th gear to 5th gear on one hand!!!

Meanwhile, the OP's location has one of the highest mountains in the USA! (lower 48) Mount Rainier rises up in excess of 14,000'+?? Where there's one mountain, there's a bunch! Actually in Washington state, the mountain range is called The Cascades...so that's probably what is meant with the term "mountainous". Check these 2 links out...

http://www.united-states-map.com/us402112.htm <<--East Coast cruising

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/c...or/wacolor.htm <<---Washington state terrain

I "almost" lol, also disagree with you, saying there's "almost something wrong" with his tranny. It is a very reasonable conclusion that, this and only this specific trip burned the fluid. As he said, during his stop on that trip he could smell the tranny..but on his routine daily driving, he had no problems.

One can not encompass all LS's with a blanket statement that "your fluid is good for 100k+ miles" and interpreting that to "if you don't achieve this, then something is wrong with your tranny."

As JimChow described, it's a very basic guideline. Some people (while not recommended) could tow with their LS. Others could do repeated sustained high speed driving (85+ SUSTAINED is fast), etc. Every tranny is going to have a unique experience...let alone compare a tranny from a mountain state to an east coast state!

I conclude his fluid was burned from the circumstances of that trip. As his LS has 64k miles, the fluid is near it's last 1/3 of useful life anyway, and that's under IDEAL circumstances!

The dealer is replacing it with fresh fluid. Aside from maybe getting the TSB for the tranny shift pattern done, I'd almost (lol) bet the dealer doesn't find anything else wrong with it. Any takers?

When I lived in California for several months, I recall cringing while driving up mountain passes (in a RENTAL car nonethless), as it was always hunting between 5th and 4th and 3rd gears, and then 4th and 5th, and then 5th to 4th to 3rd, and then 4th to 3rd and then 4th to 5th to 4th, etc! All this, and it was only ME in the car. No passengers, no luggage, no load!

Our trannys are lucky, on the East Coast, to have such smooth (non-mountainous) highways!

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 11-27-09 at 01:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-27-09, 01:41 PM
dennass69
Driver School Candidate

It just boiles down to neglect... these cars are heavy, fast, and the trannsmission is on point with the characteristics of your driving which in my case is pretty agressive. I had plans to change the fluid myself before the trip but didnt realize the tranny was a sealed case.

It takes 4 quarts to do a flush, and 12 quarts to do a full change.

Everything seems fine as of now, I have already put a few hundered miles on since the insident. There was no missing fluid, it was just over used.

These cars are amazing! Fast, smooth, great all around but anyone that plans on purchasing, owning, or having one needs to be 100% on top of maintenance especially if you are anything like me and enjoy sportful driving.
The following users liked this post:
Gazpacho (04-08-24)
Old 11-27-09, 01:47 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by dennass69
It just boiles down to neglect... these cars are heavy, fast, and the trannsmission is on point with the characteristics of your driving which in my case is pretty agressive. I had plans to change the fluid myself before the trip but didnt realize the tranny was a sealed case.

It takes 4 quarts to do a flush, and 12 quarts to do a full change.

Everything seems fine as of now, I have already put a few hundered miles on since the insident. There was no missing fluid, it was just over used.

These cars are amazing! Fast, smooth, great all around but anyone that plans on purchasing, owning, or having one needs to be 100% on top of maintenance especially if you are anything like me and enjoy sportful driving.
That's great news there was nothing else wrong!

Can I ask how much the dealer charged for the flush?
Old 11-27-09, 02:10 PM
dennass69
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=LS430inDE.;5033426]When I lived in California for several months, I recall cringing while driving up mountain passes (in a RENTAL car nonethless), as it was always hunting between 5th and 4th and 3rd gears, and then 4th and 5th, and then 5th to 4th to 3rd, and then 4th to 3rd and then 4th to 5th to 4th, etc! All this, and it was only ME in the car. No passengers, no luggage, no load!
QUOTE]

surprisingly Wash thru Oreg are mostly subtle. Northern Cali is where it gets crazy. I can get from the greater seattle area down to southern Oregon in about 5 hrs, but that is keeping consistant speeds of 80+ mph then from southern oregon into a few hundred miles of northwestern california you can easily double the time just because of how many switch backs u hit. The burnt fluid smell occured only an hour short of getting back into seattle, meaning after the norcal crazyness, the southern oregon pass and on the mostly flat rolling hills of central wash...
Old 11-27-09, 02:24 PM
dennass69
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
That's great news there was nothing else wrong!

Can I ask how much the dealer charged for the flush?
ya it ended up being $15x.xx with fluid from lexus. The guy who helped me gave me 10% off because there was a miscommunication before hand as I was trying to purchase the fluid from Toyota (being slightly cheaper) and bring it with me, but they told me the wrong fluid to buy...

i think it was 123 for the flush and 40 for the 4 quarts of the world standard fluid.

Quick Reply: Burnt tranny fluid smell...anyone have tanny problems?