LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Swiveling vents repair / cost?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-09 | 07:47 AM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Default Swiveling vents repair / cost?

Our driver side swiveling vent won't work so I wanted to know th cost of the repair or if it were hopefully a diy fix. I know it's only a novelty but I would love for it to work perfect, thanks.
Old 11-23-09 | 11:01 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Ventings

Originally Posted by IStoSC
Our driver side swiveling vent won't work so I wanted to know th cost of the repair or if it were hopefully a diy fix. I know it's only a novelty but I would love for it to work perfect, thanks.
The vent does not work at all, or just some times? That vent when in oscillating does not oscillate all the time, only when the set temp. is not met yet does it oscillate. Once the temp is met (say 72) then it stops and starts again once temp. is too high or low again.

I would not be shocked if fix was over $500 and required replacing some whole unit.
Old 11-23-09 | 11:09 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

^ ^ ^ wow i never knew this. i just assumed they always swiveled but this makes heap good sense though
Old 11-23-09 | 12:12 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

There are thermal sensors in the car that direct the swiveling action to focus on the side of the vehicle that needs to have the temp brought up/down. So say the drivers side of the car is facing the sun while parked, that side of the car will naturally stay warmer longer. The sensors direct more cool air that direction.

Do some experiement to see what is happening and get back to us if it works or not.

I believe the swiveling vents are part of the nav screen and bevel piece. It all comes out together. Probably as much as buying a solid UL to replace that piece from Lexus.
Old 11-23-09 | 01:55 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

I have to go home and test it (prob tomorrow), but I'm pretty sure the driver's side doesn't work at all b/c the passenger side swivels...it would make sense that both either move or both don't move if it worked properly (?)...
Old 11-23-09 | 02:53 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Set temp the same...

I have to go home and test it (prob tomorrow), but I'm pretty sure the driver's side doesn't work at all b/c the passenger side swivels...it would make sense that both either move or both don't move if it worked properly (?)...
Do this, set the temp on both sides to the same temp, don't park in a sunny area, then see if the fan moves or not. If only passenger side moves, then I'd say the driver's side is definitely bad.
Old 11-23-09 | 03:19 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

^will do as soon as I get home tomorrow...I REALLY hope it works, but I have a feeling its bad ...
Old 11-23-09 | 03:53 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

The swivel vanes are also computerized with whether or not there is a passenger in the passenger seat. The drives gets priority in that case.

If you have a manual, read the discussion on how these wonderful things work.

If you don't have a manual, log on the Lexus site and get one free.
Old 11-23-09 | 04:31 PM
tl.nguyen
Pole Position

That center A/C vent is $300+ at the dealer plus labor. I actually have a extra one if you want to buy it. Where in Florida are you located?
Old 11-23-09 | 05:47 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

My parents live in Parkland and I live in Miami...
Old 11-24-09 | 02:43 PM
SerasLibre
Rookie

I actually completely disassembled mine a few months ago because it was getting pretty noisy. The system is not too complicated to work on. If you're handy with tools and are willing to look into it, you have to remove the NAV head unit and then completely strip the front cover plate and A/C vents to get to the guts of the mechanism. I could see the wires to the motor breaking as they're pretty thin. It might even be a faulty connector, so it may be worth a look.
Old 11-25-09 | 08:31 AM
alanchad
Pole Position

I just tried mine (2001) and they work independently of each other, and work depending on selected temp change.

Run your temp all the way cold on driver side and see if it works.

Good Luck,

Alan
Old 11-25-09 | 03:35 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Here's what the Owners Manual has to say about swinging vanes:

"The vanes directly aimed at the driver and front passenger will swing wider as the room temperature nears the desired temperature. The swinging angle will also change from narrow to wide depending on the room temperature.

When you select the "Swing" button with no passenger on the front seat and the "Dual" button is on, the vanes directly aimed at the driver and rear passenger will swing wider as the room temperature nears the desired temperature. The swinging angle will also change from narrow to wide depending on the room temperature.

When you select the "Swing" button with no passenger on the front seat and the "Dual" button is off, the vanes directly aimed at the driver will swing wider as the room temperature nears the desired temperature. The swinging angle will also change from narrow to wide depending on the room temperature".

Hope this helps clarify the issue and prevents useless "cut and try".

Last edited by jayclapp; 11-25-09 at 03:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-25-09 | 04:08 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Hmm...yea I think the the driver side vents are dead ...it won't oscilate on its own by any means whereas the passenger side one swings like a champ...I hope its just a connection issue thats an easy fix...does anyone know how to open up the unit?
Old 11-25-09 | 06:33 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default It's dead Jim...

Hmm...yea I think the the driver side vents are dead ...it won't oscilate on its own by any means whereas the passenger side one swings like a champ...I hope its just a connection issue thats an easy fix...does anyone know how to open up the unit?
Start with the lowest trim on the console (heated seat buttons and rear window shades) by pulling straight out as they only clip in. Then work your way up by removing screws that you can see until you get to NAV unit.