LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Lower Control Arm Bushing Repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-17, 05:21 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I would say absolutely not. There cannot be enough data such that the results are reliable nor valid, if you look, this is a rather subjective area. How many on this forum have even replaced the bushings twice, or three times? I would guess most are at one time.

What we do know is that 10 yrs. later, there can be cracks and tears on OEM. Also, if an entire aftermarket arm that includes the bushing sells online for $85, yet a used OEM off of a wreck costs $110, add the bushing $60 off eBay and it's up to $170 or double, there's an implication that they aren't of the same quality. Or, the eBay aftermarket is a super great deal. My thoughts are most of us aren't in a position to experiment, based on time and money.
I agree about the money but $115 for two complete lower control arm bushing units where I don't have to worry about pressing out and pressing in a new bushing which will also save me time is worth the risk. If it fails within a few years I will go the OEM bushing route.
Old 01-26-17, 05:27 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by tradosauru
I agree about the money but $115 for two complete lower control arm bushing units where I don't have to worry about pressing out and pressing in a new bushing which will also save me time is worth the risk. If it fails within a few years I will go the OEM bushing route.
Cool, keep everyone posted....I notice that on the Maxima, everyone is looking for the cheapest fix, and believe it or not, even questioning if they really need an aftermarket arm for $50! Some said the new one failed pretty quickly, BUT, there is a tendency for power steering and motor oil to leak onto it on the passenger side, so that changes the root cause of the failure. We're really not going to know I would think for a couple of years at least....good luck.

edit: your delta is in fact the labor of pressing, since a pair of OEMs were as cheap as $54.xx recently on eBay....so that's from $190 to $300....
Old 01-26-17, 02:45 PM
LudeAEM
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the exact same mindset at you. I just bought the same set as you and will take the dive. I'll update with my impressions as well.

Side note - if you act fast ebay has a flash coupon for $15 off $75 purchases. Use code CJANUARY15OFF
Old 02-03-17, 06:20 PM
LudeAEM
Rookie

ok just installed the eBay bushing with brackets in about an hour. First impressions I am happy as the results as larger bumps are noticeably 'softer' and composed. Originally I had hoped that this would help the highway shimmy I've been having and it seems like it has. Problem is that the shimmy was inconsistent but I will be sure to update with my longer term conclusions.

Old bushings for reference

Name:  55D5A003-C79F-466F-9FAF-63331F520EEB_zpstdbsbre4.jpg
Views: 2574
Size:  212.4 KB
Old 02-03-17, 06:26 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I'm getting skeptical now.....shop asked me if I noticed any difference with the new bushings. I said 60-65 mph vibration gone. BUT, I don't normally drive fast, but I noticed something 70-80 on a business trip. Tech decided to pull my wheels and said my Dec 2016 Xice 3's Hunter Road Force balanced by online eTailer were imbalanced!!! He redid for no charge. Now no vibration 75 mph. Nuts. maybe the LCA bushings weren't that bad, who the heck knows....but at least they're done....OEM. Good for 10+ yrs.
Old 02-04-17, 06:59 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Can I just drive my Lexus on ramps and change the LCA bushings or do I have to remove the wheels and put jackstands underneath?
Old 02-04-17, 07:22 AM
LudeAEM
Rookie

I jacked the front up (have a long reach/low profile jack) and did it that way (left wheels on) but think ramps would NOT work because I needed to get a pry bar to push the control arm down a bit so I could slide off the bushing. I would think on ramps the suspension would be too compressed for you to move the arm enough.
Old 02-04-17, 07:27 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Originally Posted by LudeAEM
I jacked the front up (have a long reach/low profile jack) and did it that way (left wheels on) but think ramps would NOT work because I needed to get a pry bar to push the control arm down a bit so I could slide off the bushing. I would think on ramps the suspension would be too compressed for you to move the arm enough.
Thanks. I'm about to change the LCA bushings this morning.
Old 02-04-17, 10:03 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Just finished changing out both LCA front bushings. I jacked up the front of the car and put it on jack stands. Getting the nut off of the bushing was a challenge but a longer cheater bar worked.

Inspecting the old bushings they looked good to me. I will take it out on a drive later today to see if the shimmy at 60-70 mph goes away. I may need a forced balance.

The oil residue was from me spraying WD-40 on the bushing nut.
Attached Thumbnails Lower Control Arm Bushing Repair-lca_bushing_b.jpg   Lower Control Arm Bushing Repair-lca_bushing_a.jpg  
Old 02-04-17, 11:26 AM
LudeAEM
Rookie

yea you're bushings look like they are in better shape than mine. I will road force balance next but I am really liking the solid feeling this has given the car back.
Old 02-14-17, 09:11 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Just finished changing out both LCA front bushings. Inspecting the old bushings they looked good to me.
What bushings did you install? Or did you have new bushings pressed into your existing brackets?
Old 02-14-17, 11:29 AM
LudeAEM
Rookie

I think the bought the same kit as me

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-LOWER-...dYFpCa&vxp=mtr

Update on my situation. The shimmy is still present. Getting a road force balance this afternoon but the ride is much improved.
The following users liked this post:
tradosauru (02-14-17)
Old 02-14-17, 12:24 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LudeAEM
I think the bought the same kit as me

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-LOWER-...dYFpCa&vxp=mtr

Update on my situation. The shimmy is still present. Getting a road force balance this afternoon but the ride is much improved.
With multiple changes being made....I "think" that an alignment improved things the most.

I had 3 things done--new OEM LCA bushings, wheels rebalanced, 4 wheel alignment.

This is very hard to put a finger upon, though, very subjective....I believed that the LCA's eliminated a 60-65 slight vibration. But upon driving even faster, I thought there was a vibration at 75...which is why the shop rebalanced my tires. I honestly didn't feel this did anything, and the wheels were already road force balanced. Then, I got a 4 wheel alignment and 3/4 wheels were out....
Old 02-14-17, 01:54 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

I still have to install the two engine mounts so I'm hoping that will fix my minor shimmy at 65mph.
Old 02-18-17, 10:20 AM
LudeAEM
Rookie

Had tires balanced but NOT road force as the shop was convinced I did not need that. Shimmy IS better but not gone. I am going to do a trans drain/fill tomorrow so i'll check the driveline while I'm under it. Perhaps a driveshaft issue?

Quick Reply: Lower Control Arm Bushing Repair