LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Lower Control Arm Bushing Repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-17, 12:59 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Anyone know if the ISF bushings fit this LS? I read a bit about it but didn't see if they fit.

I was looking on just buying the poly bushings only and I have access to a lift and a press. I saw they sell the bushings separately for the ISF.
Old 09-12-17, 03:24 PM
mykvr6
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by k7q
Anyone know if the ISF bushings fit this LS? I read a bit about it but didn't see if they fit.

I was looking on just buying the poly bushings only and I have access to a lift and a press. I saw they sell the bushings separately for the ISF.
I think so. The FIGS and RR Racing bushings fit the LS, IS, ISF and GS cars so I would think they are all interchangeable. Difference being that the ISF ones are stiffer maybe? GS and IS cars have the same bushing and you can get those already pressed in the factory brackets for about the price of the LS ones for just the bushings. Im not sure if the LS ones are any stiffer since its a heavier car, but the GS300 and 430 and IS 250 and 350 all use the same bushing. I just ordered a set of IS bushings in brackets so we'll see soon I guess. Where are you looking at the ISF bushings?
Old 09-12-17, 11:46 PM
k7q
Instructor

Originally Posted by mykvr6
I think so. The FIGS and RR Racing bushings fit the LS, IS, ISF and GS cars so I would think they are all interchangeable. Difference being that the ISF ones are stiffer maybe? GS and IS cars have the same bushing and you can get those already pressed in the factory brackets for about the price of the LS ones for just the bushings. Im not sure if the LS ones are any stiffer since its a heavier car, but the GS300 and 430 and IS 250 and 350 all use the same bushing. I just ordered a set of IS bushings in brackets so we'll see soon I guess. Where are you looking at the ISF bushings?
Was looking at figs site for the poly ISF bushings.
Old 09-13-17, 02:41 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by k7q
I would give them a try since you are looking for stiffer, I remember they have two flavors. And since you have the ability to press out and in, you can redo if you feel they are too stiff....my .02
Old 09-13-17, 06:10 PM
mykvr6
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by k7q
They have an actual LS430 page on their site. But those lower control arm bushings are the same for the IS250/350/ISF, GS and LS. You can get 80 or 90 durometer. So they for sure fit the LS. The RR racing page doesnt have an actual listing for the LS430 but I emailed them and they confirmed they will fit. Just like the FIGS the USRS from RR Racing fit the IS, ISF, GS and RC cars. They dont specifically mention the LS but I asked and it does.
I do plan on doing the FIGS or USRS at some point before Im done with my LS but for now I'm just trying to get it to where I can drive it and get all the maintenance up to date.
Old 09-14-17, 12:38 PM
k7q
Instructor

Originally Posted by mykvr6
They have an actual LS430 page on their site. But those lower control arm bushings are the same for the IS250/350/ISF, GS and LS. You can get 80 or 90 durometer. So they for sure fit the LS. The RR racing page doesnt have an actual listing for the LS430 but I emailed them and they confirmed they will fit. Just like the FIGS the USRS from RR Racing fit the IS, ISF, GS and RC cars. They dont specifically mention the LS but I asked and it does.
I do plan on doing the FIGS or USRS at some point before Im done with my LS but for now I'm just trying to get it to where I can drive it and get all the maintenance up to date.
Thanks for the info! I'm going to order the super pro poly. I'm trying to save a couple of bucks. Hopefully I can install them next weekend. I like the USRS but out of my price range.
Old 09-15-17, 08:01 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

I ordered a set of bushings a few weeks ago and set out to replace them Wednesday night. Got the old ones off of the car without any problems and then drove over to my brother's place of employment to use their hydraulic press. I had purchased a 3" diameter exhaust pipe from the local Fleet Farm and planned on using that to press out the bushings from the housings. One of the things I couldn't find though was a suitable pipe or block to support the base of the housing. The wall thickness of the housing is not very thick as it turns out and I should have asked a friend to machine a suitable pipe down to the proper thickness for me.

I decided to try the press by just supporting the housing by the ears and it turns out that this is not a sound idea. This is what you will end up with:

Lower Control Arm Bushing Repair-football-bushing.jpg

After that fiasco, I took the other housing home and dismantled the old bushing out of it using a variety of tools similar to what Jazzygirl did in post #40. Pressing the new bushing in wasn't too difficult since it's easier to support the housing at this point in the process. The part with the replaced bushing is on the left.

New housing is on order. Hope to get it sometime early next week. Until then, I will be riding the motorcycle...
Old 09-17-17, 11:24 AM
nedear1688
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Gronemus
I ordered a set of bushings a few weeks ago and set out to replace them Wednesday night. Got the old ones off of the car without any problems and then drove over to my brother's place of employment to use their hydraulic press. I had purchased a 3" diameter exhaust pipe from the local Fleet Farm and planned on using that to press out the bushings from the housings. One of the things I couldn't find though was a suitable pipe or block to support the base of the housing. The wall thickness of the housing is not very thick as it turns out and I should have asked a friend to machine a suitable pipe down to the proper thickness for me.

I decided to try the press by just supporting the housing by the ears and it turns out that this is not a sound idea. This is what you will end up with:

Attachment 466560

After that fiasco, I took the other housing home and dismantled the old bushing out of it using a variety of tools similar to what Jazzygirl did in post #40. Pressing the new bushing in wasn't too difficult since it's easier to support the housing at this point in the process. The part with the replaced bushing is on the left.

New housing is on order. Hope to get it sometime early next week. Until then, I will be riding the motorcycle...
You will need this custom made tool from Ebay, I bite the bullet bought it and also had my brother's work dealership press to push it out/in, 5 minutes each, consider paying the "stealership" charged for the labor, it's worth it and now I have tool to keep!!!
Attached Thumbnails Lower Control Arm Bushing Repair-img_20170714_120957404.jpg  
Old 09-17-17, 11:37 AM
PearlUni05
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nedear1688
You will need this custom made tool from Ebay, I bite the bullet bought it and also had my brother's work dealership press to push it out/in, 5 minutes each, consider paying the "stealership" charged for the labor, it's worth it and now I have tool to keep!!!
Do you have the link to the seller of this tool?
Old 09-17-17, 11:55 AM
nedear1688
Driver

Originally Posted by PearlUni05
Do you have the link to the seller of this tool?
Here is the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-Lexus...72.m2749.l2649
I don't know this seller still have any instock but you can ask him a question.
The following users liked this post:
PearlUni05 (09-17-17)
Old 09-17-17, 12:01 PM
PearlUni05
Driver

Here is the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-Lexus...72.m2749.l2649
I don't know this seller still have any instock but you can ask him a question.

Thanks for the link!
Old 09-17-17, 12:15 PM
nedear1688
Driver

Thanks for the link!
You are welcome, I have had the none OEM cheap bracket+bushing installed...it made the ride stiff and sporty feel I don't like it, after the OEM bushings reinstalled and alignment done, my LS never that smooth and comfortable since the day I bought it almost 2 years ago, that crapped aftermarket all in one caster unit is a waste of time and money, my brother is a Master Honda mechanic and he comments that this tool is well made without it you are NOT able to push out the old bushing because it's so thick like 3" in height. The other alternative for you is you can contact a place called FIGS engineering you can send them the OEM bushings and the worn caster units they will charge like $60 labor and shipping, they promised turn around time is 2 days at most. I almost going that route but my brother willing to help me change it if I have the right tool...then I bought it!!! I hope FIGS Engineering place CAN help you solve the problem.

here is their website http://shopfigs.com/v3/index.php?route=common/home

Last edited by nedear1688; 09-20-17 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-17-17, 02:56 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

You should consider renting out your tool to members to recoup your investment. Or perhaps just selling it. Unless you plan on having your car for a long time you probably won't need to use it again. Nice tool. Pretty pricey though...
Old 09-17-17, 03:20 PM
PearlUni05
Driver

You are welcome, I have had the none OEM cheap bracket+bushing installed...it made the ride horrible and harsh, stiff and rattle the interior trims, after the OEM bushings reinstalled and alignment done, my LS never that smooth and comfortable since the day I bought it almost 2 years ago, that crapped aftermarket all in one caster unit is a waste of time and money, my brother is a Master Honda mechanic and he comments that this tool is well made without it you are NOT able to push out the old bushing because it's so thick like 3" in height. The other alternative for you is you can contact a place called FIGS engineering you can send them the OEM bushings and the worn caster units they will charge like $60 labor and shipping, they promised turn around time is 2 days at most. I almost going that route but my brother willing to help me change it if I have the right tool...then I bought it!!! I hope FIGS Engineering place CAN help you solve the problem.

here is their website http://shopfigs.com/v3/index.php?route=common/home

@nedear1688....I just bought my LS about 2 months ago. Over the last week and a half it has been at the Lexus dealer. I had a cheap 90 day/3k mile warranty from the dealer I bought it. My tilt feature was not working so I took it in to the local Lexus dealer to see what the warranty will/will not cover. They would not cover the tilt motor which was over $1000 to replace. So that I will order online from www.parts.com and get the OEM replacement and replace myself. However, the warranty did cover my driver side view mirror which would not keep its memory function and the lower control arm bushings/brackets. Hopefully I can pick it up this week. I was looking into alternatives as a friend of mine has the same car and he needs his replaced. I did see the FIGS website earlier from searching the forum and see they offer a complete swap for the LS. An aluminum bracket with poly bushings already installed. I think with that you would not need them for the life of the car. So he may go that option. I appreciate you taking the time to elaborate on some options and pointing me in the right direction. Not all the time someone will give that level of help.

Last edited by PearlUni05; 09-17-17 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-17-17, 07:41 PM
nedear1688
Driver

@nedear1688....I just bought my LS about 2 months ago. Over the last week and a half it has been at the Lexus dealer. I had a cheap 90 day/3k mile warranty from the dealer I bought it. My tilt feature was not working so I took it in to the local Lexus dealer to see what the warranty will/will not cover. They would not cover the tilt motor which was over $1000 to replace. So that I will order online from www.parts.com and get the OEM replacement and replace myself. However, the warranty did cover my driver side view memory which would not keep its memory function and the lower control arm bushings/brackets. Hopefully I can pick it up this week. I was looking into alternatives as a friend of mine has the same car and he needs his replaced. I did see the FIGS website earlier from searching the forum and see they offer a complete swap for the LS. An aluminum bracket with poly bushings already installed. I think with that you would not need them for the life of the car. So he may go that option. I appreciate you taking the time to elaborate on some options and pointing me in the right direction. Not all the time someone will give that level of help.
PearlUni05, it's my pleasure I can help, I don't mind taking a few minutes to point out the right direction, back to the topic lower control arm bushing, the FIGS engineer aluminum unit is super nice but I want OEM ride quality, the unit from FIGS Engineer is a lot stiffer compare to the OEM one, check out this video from FIGS you can see how the OEM unit and the FIGS poly unit perform, you can see the before and after just watch how much the camera is vibrating while recording. That is why I chose the OEM route!

here is the url

Quick Reply: Lower Control Arm Bushing Repair