LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Lower Control Arm Bushing Repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-17, 12:42 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I'll be joining the OEM club in 2 weeks. It was like pulling teeth today to get anyone who wanted the job. Not pleasant. This was worse that getting a date for the senior prom (junior was easy, I had trouble my senior year). And I almost fell out of my chair when the Toyota dealer called back and said yes they will install my parts, and wanted $900. Another guy said we can do it but I don't think it's worth our while, even though we have a 50 ton press and can do it. HE HAD TO THINK ABOUT IT AND I HAVE NOT HEARD BACK. Such is life. I'm in at $75 higher than the price above, I can live with it....
Old 01-10-17, 02:06 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Daspyda
Would you guys consider using the same bushing material that Lexus does as an alternative? Some people prefer OEM-like rides instead of the slightly stiffer experience your bushings provide.

Or, buying some OEM bushings and installing them into your brackets?
Well we offer a lower durometer bushing that is better for lighter load braking, Our bushing really does not add NVH as much as it adds more steering feedback, meaning its more directly tied to the road. Shock is still conducted via the shock absorber and spring, which may need service depending on the age of the vehicle. We have not had any direct feedback on our bushings adding roughness since they are a progressive design, the increase resistances as the load increases. They are designed specifically to not add harshness. We are starting to carry one or 2 80 duro bushings, but due to the behavior of the 90 we have deemed it to solve the inner tire wear issue better than the 90 for heavier braking. If you install these and are not happy with them, we will gladly take them back. We are also going to put them on sale this month.

Thanks Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 01-10-17, 07:11 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FIGS
Well we offer a lower durometer bushing that is better for lighter load braking, Our bushing really does not add NVH as much as it adds more steering feedback, meaning its more directly tied to the road. Shock is still conducted via the shock absorber and spring, which may need service depending on the age of the vehicle. We have not had any direct feedback on our bushings adding roughness since they are a progressive design, the increase resistances as the load increases. They are designed specifically to not add harshness. We are starting to carry one or 2 80 duro bushings, but due to the behavior of the 90 we have deemed it to solve the inner tire wear issue better than the 90 for heavier braking. If you install these and are not happy with them, we will gladly take them back. We are also going to put them on sale this month.

Thanks Mike
Will be checking the site to see when these go up for sale. Keep us updated as im sure plenty of us here on the forum are due to replace these.

Do you have any input on these bushings effect on braking feel? My stock bushings are cracked with 95k miles and on light and low speed braking the front feels grabby almost like warped rotors but they are new. Someone posted previously replacing the lca bushings solved this feeling for them.
Old 01-10-17, 09:27 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by bmore430
Will be checking the site to see when these go up for sale. Keep us updated as im sure plenty of us here on the forum are due to replace these.

Do you have any input on these bushings effect on braking feel? My stock bushings are cracked with 95k miles and on light and low speed braking the front feels grabby almost like warped rotors but they are new. Someone posted previously replacing the lca bushings solved this feeling for them.
When these bushings are new, they deflect quite a bit, but it is at least uniform meaning they feel the same across the braking duration. When they are worn, they are prone to collapse through a certain range of their deflection because they are compromised, This gives a sensation of darting steering, unpredictable braking as the initial braking power is wasted deflecting the bushing and general instability while driving, not under braking loads. Our LCA bushing puts control back in your brake pedal and allows complete neutral steering input under braking. he best question I ask our customers is if they would feel comfortable letting go of the steering wheel when they hit the brakes, or if they feel like they are fighting the car to a stop with the steering wheel. The answer with our bushings is yes, the steering wheel will remain straight through heavy braking and not require any steering input to a stop. The factory LCA bushing design is intended to add understeer and immediate steering (toe out) under braking to avoid accidents and to remove manufacturer liability from oversteer conditions. We prefer to have a car that is easier to steer and more controllable under braking, even if it is a luxury sedan.
Mike

I went ahead and added it to our special section. While supplies last. http://shopfigs.com/v3/index.php?rou...ry&path=54_542
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
Old 01-11-17, 09:30 AM
FIGS
The Maker

I also just had a thought, if anyone is interested we have quite a few OE spec bushings from the 2IS that we can sell if you are so inclined to press them in. They should be at least the same spec as the ls430 OE bushings and we could offer them for much less that the Dealer cost on a new set of LS430 arms. Let me know.
Old 01-11-17, 12:24 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

These are going in, in 1 1/2 weeks. I have that darty feeling--you really feel it when someone else drives the car, because imho the owner will start to drive in a manner that can avoid the behavior. Another person will not, as they'll just drive as they would any car, until they notice the deficiency.

Sometimes when my wife has driven, it's as if she's driving abruptly like a teenager--that's because she's not used to the way the LS handles. Hopefully, the bushings will fix the car up. I'll be able to say for sure soon. I have seen subjective comments that it fixes 80-90% of the woes, which, is nearly a miracle. I'm pretty optimistic these are gonna do the trick

Name:  20170111_151531_zpsg5mfmmy0.jpg
Views: 2519
Size:  224.8 KB
Old 01-11-17, 12:44 PM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by FIGS
I also just had a thought, if anyone is interested we have quite a few OE spec bushings from the 2IS that we can sell if you are so inclined to press them in. They should be at least the same spec as the ls430 OE bushings and we could offer them for much less that the Dealer cost on a new set of LS430 arms. Let me know.
I guess that was my suggestion. Mount these in your brackets and you have a new sku which people who want OEM will buy.
Old 01-11-17, 10:11 PM
FIGS
The Maker

I guess that was my suggestion. Mount these in your brackets and you have a new sku which people who want OEM will buy.
To go that route, I would just offer up a complete replacement from a later model car. They run $55 new in an aluminum bracket, so you could just go that route without pressing in anything. Our bushings will offer significant improvement though and you will never need to replace them again. If you want to give them a try let me know.
Mike
Old 01-12-17, 06:49 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I would highly suggest just going with the FIGS assembly. Just my opinion but paying to have someone to press the stock bushing out and replace with an OE bushing is asinine. Labor alone (depending on region) would be more expensive than just buying the FIGS assembly. Plus the FIGS bushing will outlast the OE unit and improve ride handling.
Old 01-13-17, 03:22 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by HiloDB1
Just my opinion but paying to have someone to press the stock bushing out and replace with an OE bushing is asinine. Labor alone (depending on region) would be more expensive.....
I've been called worse and have somewhat thick skin. I would suggest you verify your numbers, however. I know them for my area based on having called around this week. Unless you guys have a $150 group discount from the forum or something, I could have missed it.
Old 01-13-17, 07:04 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Post #73 is from someone who used polyurethane bushings as suggested by FIGS: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-repair-5.html

This is "real-world" experience.
Old 01-14-17, 08:25 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Post #73 is from someone who used polyurethane bushings as suggested by FIGS: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-repair-5.html

That is a different manufacturer as I understand it," Poly U" and not representative of the design of our product or the lubrication features we have between the material and the center tube. Polyurethane, in general, has a bad reputation because of low-cost offerings that apply it improperly. Another note is that polyurethane is a general classification of elasto-polymers, not all poly formulas are the same and that is why we spent 4 years looking for the right partner to make our bushings. Our bushings are actually warrantied against squeaking and have their own specific grease to cover a wide range of temperature and remain in the diamond pattern. We have already demonstrated the contrast between our bushings and other manufacturers that are good initially but eventually suffer from deformation and material migration over the life of the bushing, usually lasting less that then original OE bushings.

Old 01-14-17, 08:45 AM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Wonder what brand of bushing he used as i had not seen any other poly for the ls430 before? That is slightly concerning that he said he needed to replace upper arms after he installed these. Are the poly so hard that they wear out the other bushings and arms prematurely?
Old 01-14-17, 08:48 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Wonder what brand of bushing he used as i had not seen any other poly for the ls430 before? That is slightly concerning that he said he needed to replace upper arms after he installed these. Are the poly so hard that they wear out the other bushings and arms prematurely?
I'm finding the LS suspension is a PITA. But that's ok....it's like one could spend $1600 on coilovers, and be shopping again in a couple of years. At the same time, the OEM route is really expensive....but it is what it is....I'd like to "set it and forget it" and spend less $$$$ if possible....

edit: point being OEM is probably the best chance to be like original and last as long as however the original happened to have lasted. Even the sport shocks are < the regular ones, but from what I read plug and play

Last edited by Johnhav430; 01-14-17 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-14-17, 09:26 AM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I'm finding the LS suspension is a PITA. But that's ok....it's like one could spend $1600 on coilovers, and be shopping again in a couple of years. At the same time, the OEM route is really expensive....but it is what it is....I'd like to "set it and forget it" and spend less $$$$ if possible....

edit: point being OEM is probably the best chance to be like original and last as long as however the original happened to have lasted. Even the sport shocks are < the regular ones, but from what I read plug and play
i went the sport route to keep it oem. Same exact oem shock just different valving so yes its "plug and play" so i expect it will last at least another 100k miles like the first set they replaced. Was not cheap but car feels great. Cant wait to do the fronts to get the full effect with new bushings, balljoints, sport shocks etc.

Quick Reply: Lower Control Arm Bushing Repair