LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Trunk Strut reco

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-10, 04:58 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

hi Guys, just listed a new auction to be more competitive with the pricing from these other vendors on ebay. My struts come with a 2 yr warranty but I have never had any issue with them yet and have about 300 installations in the field. I designed them with about 10% more force than the OEM version which should allow for longer life. The major things that affect strut life is contamination passing between the shaft and the seal. Aside from that stut leakage is typically 1-2% a year. Please let me know if you have any questions, I am hear to help .
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...e=STRK:MESE:IT
Fig
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 03-29-10, 06:56 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you still sell the trunk struts? I do not see any on your ebay site or website.
Old 03-29-10, 08:08 AM
FIGS
The Maker

They are on my website http://www.figsengineering.com/oemstrut.htm
I will have a few more up on ebay soon.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
Old 04-03-10, 08:48 PM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

The Figs struts worked great and I highly recommend. Now my trunk lid raises up all the way open after you lift it up 4-5 inches from the closed position. No more worrying about the trunk lid slamming down on my head.
Old 04-03-10, 10:20 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by Boomer01
The Figs struts worked great and I highly recommend. Now my trunk lid raises up all the way open after you lift it up 4-5 inches from the closed position. No more worrying about the trunk lid slamming down on my head.
Thanks Boomer01, another happy customer.
Old 04-15-10, 06:28 PM
SerasLibre
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got my FIGS trunk struts last week. The cylinder diameter is definitely not as large as the OEMs, but with a 2-yr warranty on the FIGS I can't complain about that.

After installing them I noticed a significant difference in trunk operation. As stated previously, the trunk now opens itself after you pull it up 5-6" from the closed position. However, it is now much more difficult to close the trunk by using the interior handle alone. It needs momentum and a 15-20lb pull on the interior handle to get it to shut completely. I'm assuming it will get easier with time, but overall I am happy with the $70 or so I spent to get both struts.
Old 04-16-10, 07:36 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by SerasLibre
Just got my FIGS trunk struts last week. The cylinder diameter is definitely not as large as the OEMs, but with a 2-yr warranty on the FIGS I can't complain about that.

After installing them I noticed a significant difference in trunk operation. As stated previously, the trunk now opens itself after you pull it up 5-6" from the closed position. However, it is now much more difficult to close the trunk by using the interior handle alone. It needs momentum and a 15-20lb pull on the interior handle to get it to shut completely. I'm assuming it will get easier with time, but overall I am happy with the $70 or so I spent to get both struts.
You can't have your cake and eat it too. The easier it goes up, the harder it is to get it down.
Old 04-16-10, 07:43 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jayclapp
You can't have your cake and eat it too. The easier it goes up, the harder it is to get it down.
Pretty much. It's way better than having to worry if the trunk lid is going to fall on your head while putting stuff in the trunk. I am extrememly happy with the struts.
Old 04-25-10, 08:11 PM
SteveM
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other day when I washed my car I noticed that the design of the area where the trunk strut is located becomes filled with soap suds, excess water, leaf bits, dust/dirt etc and doesn't seem to have drainage. Perhaps this environment advanced ages the trunk struts vs. a dry, clean area? Just a thought. I've been trying to keep mine cleaner lately since I noticed this.

Last edited by SteveM; 04-26-10 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-26-10, 06:47 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveM
The other day when I washed my car I noticed that the design of the area where the trunk strut is located becomes filled with soap suds, excess water, leaf bits, dust/dirt etc and doesn't seem to have drainage. Perhaps this environment advanced ages the trunk struts vs. a dry, clean area? Just a thought. I've been trying ot keep mine cleaner lately since I noticed this.
Not a bad idea to keep that area clean, will help keep that stuff out of the trunk. However, I doubt this has much to do with strut life. Consider that the hood struts are located in a much more severe environment.
Old 04-26-10, 05:34 PM
SteveM
Driver

Yea good point. I definately think you're right and it's essentially a non factor. I just mentioned it because I used plain white suds and for some reason the soap surrounding the trunk strut looked red coloured afterwards like it had drawn out some fluid or something. Not sure what caused that but at the time it felt like my strut was bleeding
Old 04-26-10, 08:17 PM
SerasLibre
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if this is permanent or not, but my Figs struts lost much of their lifting capacity this weekend while being used in rainy weather. They still hold the trunk but no longer lift it from the same position as before. ..hopefully dry weather will bring them back!
Old 04-27-10, 10:36 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Temperature has the most significant impact on strut force since its a gas density situation. Please let me know if the condition is remedied with better weather.
Old 08-16-10, 06:38 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by FIGS
My struts come with a 2 yr warranty but I have never had any issue with them yet and have about 300 installations in the field.
I've been following the Lexus Lubrication and Maintenance service schedules, and I've seen them lube the trunk strut ball joints each time. However, a few months ago, I noticed my left strut is showing rust near the bottom ball joint. Is this covered under warranty? The right strut doesn't have any rust.
Old 08-16-10, 09:07 AM
WB03LS430
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info!! I need to order, the lid fell on my wife's head the other week needless to say me and my 03 went to the Sh@@ list very quickly. I agree poor design and dealer prices for poorly designed. until then I will park nose down on an incline if she is getting in the trunk.

Quick Reply: Trunk Strut reco