LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

reset 'low tire' light

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-09 | 01:21 PM
dlap
Rookie

Default reset 'low tire' light

how do i reset the 'low tire' warning light on my '05 ls430?
Old 12-17-09 | 01:23 PM
wildace
Pole Position

putting air in your tires
Old 12-17-09 | 01:26 PM
dlap
Rookie

r u serious? of course u know i did do that dont u?
Old 12-17-09 | 01:38 PM
dlap
Rookie

i'll look that up. thanks
Old 12-17-09 | 02:27 PM
ejthomp
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by wildace
putting air in your tires
As smart arsh as that sounds they usually reset themselves within a few minutes of adding air.
Old 12-17-09 | 08:50 PM
Dajap
Driver

does it reset itself even if it is with aftermarket wheels? Not really sure how tps works.
Old 12-18-09 | 05:52 AM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Anytime you make a change of wheels, tires, change pressure, fix flat, etc., you should,"Initialize" the TPMS, not just hit the "Reset" button,

To do this, turn ignition to "ON" , but do not start. Then hold reset button in until the word "INITIALIZE" appears in your dash display. (Otherwise, TPMS warning which was reset will probably reappear.)

Then you're good to go.
Old 12-18-09 | 08:00 AM
Dajap
Driver

Originally Posted by ayonnebay
Anytime you make a change of wheels, tires, change pressure, fix flat, etc., you should,"Initialize" the TPMS, not just hit the "Reset" button,

To do this, turn ignition to "ON" , but do not start. Then hold reset button in until the word "INITIALIZE" appears in your dash display. (Otherwise, TPMS warning which was reset will probably reappear.)

Then you're good to go.

Thanks for the helpful answer!
Old 12-18-09 | 09:48 AM
TomLS
Driver School Candidate

I just went through this for several weeks. I pushed the button many times holding it for a quite a while and never received the initialize message. I did hear a beep at some point. Finally took it to Sewell. They had done the breaks just prior to the problem. They turned it off (no charge) and gave me a rambling explanation about tire pressure (mine were correct) and that the spare was low (had not checked that one). Does the system really cover the spare? I read on this site that the system compares wheel revolutions to indicate a low tire. Therefore the spare would not be monitored.
Old 12-18-09 | 10:22 AM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TomLS
I just went through this for several weeks. I pushed the button many times holding it for a quite a while and never received the initialize message.

Was engine running ? I have a 2004 and, yes, it does go by wheel revs - it does not have actual TP sensors at the wheels. Procedure I gave is for only 2004. Newer models may have different systems/different reset/init procedures.

Walt
Old 12-18-09 | 10:58 AM
TomLS
Driver School Candidate

I tried it at every conceivable way including ignition on but not running. Could they be correct about the spare being my problem? I see no sign of any monitor on the spare. Mine is a 2005.

Thanks Walt!
Old 12-18-09 | 11:25 AM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

I would suspect, given all you've stated, that Sewell screwed up/broke a revolution-sensing device at one of your wheels while doing the brake job. Not being familiar with the rev-count system the car uses, I don't even know what that stuff would look like. If someone could find the parts at the wheels that control the system (and what they should look like) in a service manual, then you could visually inspect the areas for damage. Interesting, though - now I'm curious.

If they did, in fact damage something there, this is obviously something we all should be aware of. There are a lot of DIY people here.

OTOH, the 2005 may actually have physical sensors at each tire valve. Some years/models have that. Those I believe have embedded batteries and actually transmit signals. If that's the case with yours, the spare, could have indeed been sending a "Low" signal.

Walt

Last edited by ayonnebay; 12-18-09 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-18-09 | 04:03 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

My understanding is the rev-counting system used by some automakers uses the ABS hardware. Individual pressure monitors require a partial deflation-reinflation sequence ( 5lbs. of pressure) to have the car learn where each tire is located on the car.
Old 12-20-09 | 10:45 PM
Ears
Rookie

Originally Posted by TomLS
...I pushed the button ... and never received the initialize message...
been there, done that. In my case, it was because I had the door open. I closed the door and reset, then got the initialize message.
Old 12-21-09 | 07:36 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Low pressure tire warning light came on while driving to work this morning (I knew it was about 1 psi low). After inflating your tires, turn the engine on (the warning light wouldn't show w/ only the ignition on), then reach under and hold the tire reset button down about 3 sec until the display warning clears.

Quick Reply: reset 'low tire' light