LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Here comes the snow!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-09, 07:28 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

You bunch of global warming deniers. Al Gore weeps for your lack of faith.

I haven't had to use the tractor to blow snow yet this season. It's been cold, but not snowy. By this time last year, we had continuous snow cover for about a month.
Old 12-18-09, 07:30 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,377 Posts

Well looks like the worse weather is holding off until later tonight and tomorrow. Only had some slush and plowed right through that with no problems.

Originally Posted by sojah
Id like to hear how that movie is, been debating seeing that one in the theatre myself. .

Updated the Avatar thread in the clubhouse (here) with my thoughts.
Old 12-18-09, 09:15 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

2nd year with my Blizzaks and probably 2nd year that I won't take the LS out in snow... I have a '99 RX300, so that sees the snow duty. I haven't even gotten the 16" snow rims on yet so she definitely won't see any travel this weekend.
Old 12-18-09, 11:46 PM
Vpanin
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First winter with the LS and its looking like 6-9in in NY...........................Im actually looking to drive the car to get used to it in the snow..................How much worse is the LS then a Front wheel drive car???????
Old 12-19-09, 06:19 AM
Yaff
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
I'll be glad to hear stories, pictures, comments, and complaints if anything happens worth notating.
What about my thread:
question-for-the-northern-owners-deicing-windshield-and-wipers

Now here’s another.

I’m a new hasbeen boy racer. The 430 acquisition is my first attempt to quit heavy footing and adrenaline rush addiction on the road.

As I posted the other day it’s already winter around here. Although it’s been almost over two weeks since the big snow storm and we got few extra snow falls since… I didn’t really take the car for a ride. I felt much safer driving my beater. Don’t get me wrong, winter condition is a blast for me; enjoy it 99.9% of the time. What drives me nuts is those friggin retards (most of them born and raised here) that drives like they never saw ice and snow before. They kind of recall what that white stuff is only once they burn a red light or rear end the car in front of them. So I gave these idiots a couple weeks before taking the nice ride out.

I found a big parking lot poorly cleaned in the industrial park. Perfect safe place to see how my baby behaves in severe conditions. So, just to put myself in the mood, I screamed at her: Show me how you drift beatch!

Oh lord. A split second later, traction control did what is meant to be and literally took control of the car. Alarms beeping, flashing alerts in the dash, engine management, ABS. WTF?

This is not fun at all. I played with the buttons, tried TRAC OFF. I didn’t find a way shut it off. I guess it makes the car safer for grandpa. But hey, the old fart didn't make it to 92 with all that technology.

Call me old school but this isn't cool. Is there a way to shut the traction control off? Or it is just in the same line as the NAV system where Lexus makes the bold statement: Money don't buy brains, operating the NAV system in motion is not an option. Turning off traction control? You must be kidding or suicidal. No way! “Live with it” pun intended.

Signed - The French sasquatch
Old 12-19-09, 06:34 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

well it looks really bad at 9.30 (4-5 inches already on the road) am looking out my front windows but i just saw my neighbor take off in like a 2000 acura sedan sooooo.... think i will sit this out though. its to damn cold and windy to make it fun.

i have been curious how good the 05 UL would be with the datasystems controller on it cuz i can raise it up to about 1-1.5 feet of ground clearance? looks sorta like a subi outback at that height but hey, if it worked in the snow that would be nice.

Last edited by sojah; 12-19-09 at 06:38 AM.
Old 12-19-09, 12:28 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Lastnight i got off about 9:30pm and it was coming down kinda nicely so i decided to pick up a pint of "blood warmer" to keep me company once i got in the house. Let me tell you that the LS is no car for the snow. I dont care how many traction devices and computers this car has on it! Its a scary ride in 2-3 inches of snow. ABS did a little to ease my fright but it still feels like your goin to keep sliding and hit something. I can admit that snow mode do help if you have a heavy foot but only slightly. Maybe its those dang Hancooks but the ride home was somewhat of a revelation for me: Dont drive this car in the snow if you wanna keep it damage free . Needless to say i made it home safely and with out incident although since i live in a hilly area it was problematic negotiating turns and stops on slopes and nearly hit the curb tryin to turn down into my complex. So much for having fun in the snow since now the car is buried in at least 1.5-2 feet of snow and the driveway is nothing but ice and snow goin up a hill. Trapped for the weekend . Did see livery SUVs (seen a number of RXs)making there way amongst the carnage. Maybe next year i'll invest in a set of snow rubber for her but as for now i'm *** out of luck!
Old 12-19-09, 01:31 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I will never know what it is like to drive in the snow in my LS, I would like to know what others think of the snow button.
Old 12-19-09, 05:01 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

yeah snow button is cool for accelerating from a stop or decelerating but other than that it just eats up gasoline. i used to use snow mode a lot out in denver in my gs400 a couple years back.

i was just watching the local baltimore news about 30 mins ago and they kept showing this white ls460 stuck in the snow at a gas station and these nice people pushing it out... the back tires were spinning like the dude had his foot mashed down on the gas around 40 mph... what a freakin tard... its people like that that need to just stay home instead of trying to drive their expensive car to the gas station. obviously he had manually turned his tcs or trac or whatever they are calling it in the 460's off... that guy should get the douche bag award of the month!!!
Old 12-19-09, 08:15 PM
ebolger
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live south of Sacramento: I am "plowing" fog.
Old 12-20-09, 03:26 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would only take the LS out as a last resort. I have Blizzak on 16" rims, but because I have a '99 RX AWD also, I would not think of driving the LS. Also, just to take it out for a spin around the block, why bother, not a real test.
Old 12-20-09, 03:42 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

You guys with SUVs are really making me jealous. Especially the ones with an LS and an RX. Way to rub it in. Anyhoot, i found out on fri that the LS is definately not a winter/snow vehicle. Maybe if trade up to a 460 or future LS model i'll make sure it has awd or i might just keep my 430 and get an future RX who knows but its nice to have.
Old 12-20-09, 08:00 PM
TubbyGs430
Driver

here in NY we got like 10''-12'' inches. and i left the ls last night and went in the wiffey's car. went to go eat at rollen n roster then headed to Staten island in the storm lol had a great time driving her Mazda 6. pushed the Mazda pretty hard and i know for a fact that my Ls wouldn't have made it last night. had a better time ridding the quad's with my boys last night.. anyway went out tonight to dig out the LS and i was just kicking myself and think I'm going to have a great time driving to work with the 20's. so after digging her out for an hour i unlock the car grab a smoke turn the key to start and no start, battery dead. so now i have to go get tires and a battery and then on X-Mas go to my garage and jack up the car put on the the stock's then drive around find some one to mount and balance them wish i had my 87 Jeep cherokee right now but that parked in pa

Last edited by TubbyGs430; 12-20-09 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-21-09, 06:27 AM
Yaff
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Warning: ON Winter but OFF Lexus topic

My other car in action

Well not mine mine, but same as mine ;-)
Old 12-21-09, 07:26 AM
wildace
Pole Position

cool vid

Quick Reply: Here comes the snow!