LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Here comes the snow!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-09, 08:31 AM
ejthomp
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

At the first sign of snow or ice, the Lexus stays in the garage. Our Honda Pilot with AWD is surprisingly good in the snow and I've got a 96 Toyota Camry that I can put chains on and get around too. With that car, a little fender bender just adds character.

No sense in trying to force a Lexus 430 to operate in those conditions. Odds are that even if we keep it under control, the 21 year old driving his rear wheel drive Chevy Camaro with bald tires is going to get us.
Old 12-21-09, 03:59 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I fared no better this year with the Primacys than I did last year with my Continentals. The LS is not really a "snow" car, and certainly not a "packed snow/ice" car. In SNOW mode or not, it stinks. It will remain in the garage, and ready to serve me on better days.

The '98 ES was great, though, and I have to worry less about idiots sliding into it.
Old 12-21-09, 06:13 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by ayonnebay
Well, I fared no better this year with the Primacys than I did last year with my Continentals. The LS is not really a "snow" car, and certainly not a "packed snow/ice" car. In SNOW mode or not, it stinks. It will remain in the garage, and ready to serve me on better days.

The '98 ES was great, though, and I have to worry less about idiots sliding into it.
Gosh, a 98-up LS (400 or 430) is an absolutely fun car to drive on "packed snow/ice" if it is equipped with ice and snow tires like the Blizzaks I have on my 2000 LS400.

We happen to have a fully optioned 98 Camry V6 with the same ABS and TRAC systems that were on the 98 ES300.

Our 2000 LS400 with Blizzak snow tires does incredibly better in heavy snow than our 98 Camry with all season tires. If the weather is really bad snowy/icy, we leave the Camry in the garage and just use the LS. If some A-hole on all season tires hits us, I'd rather be in an LS than an econobox.

The only downside I've found with putting heavy duty snow tires on an LS is that one tends to start feeling invincible and cocky -- it is soooo much fun to pass stuck 4WD SUV's!

Watch this Tire Rack video showing two identical BMW's -- one on Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires and the other on all season tires: http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index...&AID=10398365&
The difference is just as dramatic on a 98-up LS400/430 with VSC.
Old 12-21-09, 06:46 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kansas
Our 2000 LS400 with Blizzak snow tires does incredibly better in heavy snow than our 98 Camry with all season tires.

Okay, I hear ya on the Blizzaks, but I have a question ...... I'll be taking the LS to Kansas in March. March in Kansas - What should I expect weather-wise ?

Walt
Old 12-22-09, 04:42 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default NJ to KS

Okay, I hear ya on the Blizzaks, but I have a question ...... I'll be taking the LS to Kansas in March. March in Kansas - What should I expect weather-wise ?

Walt
You're going from Bayonne to Kansas? I thought Kansas was just hot weather?

So the blizzaks on my LS should be good on snow then? I still won't try it, just emergency use. My RX will always do snow duty, until we replace it with another AWD (GX460 perhaps)
Old 12-22-09, 04:46 AM
Yaff
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

If somebody read my long post on this thread, nobody replied...

A key question in it was ... Is there a way to turn off that Traction Control/Limited Slip system?
Old 12-22-09, 04:57 AM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
You're going from Bayonne to Kansas? I thought Kansas was just hot weather?
So did I, but that's not what I hear from friends - that March can be wild.
Old 12-22-09, 12:30 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

Walt
It depends on what part of Kansas you will be in. Why not fly? Kansas may be backward but we do have a few airports and car rentals.

March in the Kansas City metro area at the eastern edge of Kansas where we live are usually quite mild although we can still get a few inches of snow in late March and even in early April. I usually take my snow tires off the first day of Spring but have put them back on a few times due to a late snow. We do quite a bit of driving a few hundred miles north where having snow tires is more important -- XMAS will be in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

There can be far more snow to the west of us. I've got stuck in western Kansas maybe five times due to blizzards - usually for no more than a day - while en route to Colorado for skiing. Got snowed in at Oakley Kansas in March in about 1987 -- lucky to get the last motel room. Couldn't get out of the motel room for three days due to snow being drifted to the top of the motel room door and the blizzard being too bad for anyone to dig us out. We had emergency food with us and the motel staff passed us a bit of food through a small access window from an inside service hallway. The snow was drifted all the way up to the overpass over I-70 by the motel -- a 15 to 20 foot snow drift.

It took us hours to dig out our car after we found it. We gave up on continuing to Colorado and were first in line when they opened the entrance ramp "snow gate" to I-70. Barely made it back home ... I-70 was closed by another blizzard a few hours later and remained closed for several more days.
Old 12-22-09, 01:18 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kansas
It depends on what part of Kansas you will be in. Why not fly? Kansas may be backward but we do have a few airports and car rentals.
Wedding's in Leavenworth mid-March. As for driving vs flying, we just want to make a mini-vacation out of it, and take our time coming home, driving to various destinations on a circuitous route back home. (Those destinations are her dept., and as yet undecided.) Thanks.

Walt
Old 12-23-09, 03:44 AM
Yaff
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Yaff
If somebody read my long post on this thread, nobody replied...

A key question in it was ... Is there a way to turn off that Traction Control/Limited Slip system?
Sigh... I guess I better start a new thread and recycle my messages
Old 12-23-09, 05:17 AM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Yaff
Sigh... I guess I better start a new thread and recycle my messages

Oops, yeah - Sorry. Guess I helped hijack it.

But, to address your question - No, I don't believe there is a way to turn it off.