LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Thinking of getting 2nd LS I'm I crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-09 | 11:11 AM
frankiec
Driver School Candidate

Default Thinking of getting 2nd LS I'm I crazy?

I just recently purchased a 2005 Lexus LS UL about 1 week ago. My lease is up on my Audi in Feb and I've been looking at cars around 20k and can't find anything that I would want to drive as a daily and is reliable. Before I bought my 05 UL I was working a sale with on a 2004 LS ML with 70k miles for 17k. Would it be weird or crazy to have 2 LS's in the house?
Old 12-24-09 | 11:56 AM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by frankiec
I just recently purchased a 2005 Lexus LS UL about 1 week ago. My lease is up on my Audi in Feb and I've been looking at cars around 20k and can't find anything that I would want to drive as a daily and is reliable. Before I bought my 05 UL I was working a sale with on a 2004 LS ML with 70k miles for 17k. Would it be weird or crazy to have 2 LS's in the house?
I really do think having two LSs is kind of redundant. IMO, the purpose of having two vehicles is to have a change of driving experience and transportation assurance. If you really need another car but also really like lexus, you could get either get an GS or an IS. Maybe even an RX just to have 4wd capabilities but 2 of they same is overkill i think. Just my "two" cents.
Old 12-24-09 | 12:37 PM
Tee

If you really like the car, you like twins and don't think you will get tired and need to switch from time to time go for it!
Old 12-24-09 | 04:52 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Although I love my LS, I would not get another LS. I think having two vehicles of the same type (i.e. sedan/sedan, suv/suv, minivan/minivan) doesn't make sense, must less the exact same vehicle. Like Silver Surfer said and I'm adding on top, the purpose of having two+ vehicles is to have different driving characters. For us, we have three vehicles, the LS, RX, and an Acura Integra 5-speed. When the Acura finally goes, I don't really think I'll replace it at this point with another 2-door so probably we will end up with just two cars at that point. Then when the RX goes, either replace with a 7-passenger SUV or a minivan (probably not). I would not replace my RX for another sedan, even with AWD.

There has to be the difference in mode so that...

1. oh, I need to run to the supermarket and pick up something... ah, take the beater vehicle (my case the Integra, which is no beater by any means but just so because it's a '92)

2. oh no, there is snow on the ground, better take the RX

3. man, it's a nice sunny weekend day, I'm going to cruise with the LS.

If you have two LS, then it's more "do I want to drive the black LS or the white LS... "
Old 12-24-09 | 04:58 PM
LSGarry
Pole Position

Default No, you're not crazy - Just Smart!

I purchased my '02 in '07 and loved it so when it came time to replace my wife's car nothing could compare. I thought it was crazy too but the more I looked we just continued to come back to the LS so after a couple months of trying on all kinds of cars we just felt too comfortable in the LS so we set our sights on it and found exactly what we were looking for after about a 6 week search and made the deal. So at least with two of the same cars we never have to fumble around for where the switches are anymore. =))
Go for it if you like them as much as we do.
Merry Christmas everyone!!
Old 12-24-09 | 04:59 PM
snakehead
Intermediate

What kind of audi did you have ?? What do you like about the LS over the Audi ??
I am in the market for an LS as well. Great cars that are under the radar.
Old 12-24-09 | 06:11 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

"For us, we have three vehicles, the LS, RX, and an Acura Integra 5-speed."

AlexusAnja, just keep rubbing it in why don't ya!!!!
Old 12-24-09 | 07:02 PM
honeygee2
Pole Position

I bought my 03 ls in sept 08....like it so much I bought the wifey an es 330 last april...both exceptional cars. I even tow a motorcycle on a 5X8 utility trailer with the LS. People laugh at me using the ls as a tow vehicle but it does so effortlessly.
Old 12-24-09 | 07:23 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Speaking of twin cars, a story from my family....

My dad, a supervisor at a GM plant in Ohio, bought a new Impala in 1966. My older brother, in his second hitch in the Navy, was serving on a sub based in Charleston, SC. He decided it was time to replace his old Ford. Neither my dad nor my brother knew what each other bought until my brother came home on leave. They had both bought nearly identical 66 2-door blue Impalas with black vinyl interior, 283 V8, and powerglide transmission. Because my brother bought his car down south, it had AC while dad's car did not. Because of the AC equipment, my brother's car had the antenna on the right rear fender instead of right front, so we could tell the cars apart.

While my brother was at sea, dad reserved a sequential license plate for my brother's car - they were XK500 and XK501. We didn't have a garage, just a parking pad in front of the house. For about 7 years there were two identical Impalas parked in front. My brother's car eventually became my first car.
Old 12-24-09 | 07:55 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Get a second car that suits your needs. If you like taking road trips or doing outdoor activities, a 4x4 is nice...plenty of rooom to lug stuff around, plus 4wd for occasional offroad excursions or winter road trips. At one time, I had 4 cars (two 4x4 SUV's, 1 sports car, 1 cross-over SUV), but we gradually eliminated the redundancies. Now I'm down to one 4x4 that serves as my wife's DD and our road trip car, and the LS as my DD and our get-around-town weekend car (sports car will be sold). This will allow us to drive around with 4 persons comfortably in either car while minimizing costs (fewer cars to ensure, etc.)
Old 12-24-09 | 09:19 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
I really do think having two LSs is kind of redundant. IMO, the purpose of having two vehicles is to have a change of driving experience and transportation assurance. If you really need another car but also really like lexus, you could get either get an GS or an IS. Maybe even an RX just to have 4wd capabilities but 2 of they same is overkill i think. Just my "two" cents.
In the Supra world (particularly in the 2nd gen Supra world) they call it "MSS" or Multiple Supra Syndrome. It's easy to fall prey to MLSS, or Multiple LS Syndrome.....
Old 12-24-09 | 11:27 PM
frankiec
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advice much appreciated. Someone asked what Audi I have its an A8 its been in the shop for 65 total days and has 64k miles on it. Thank GOD I have an extended warranty and maintenance program. I like the A8 a lot when its running.

The more and more I think about it. I'm probably going to get some small wagon possibly an Audi A4 or BMW 328 wagon.
Old 12-25-09 | 12:17 AM
snakehead
Intermediate

Originally Posted by frankiec
Thanks for the advice much appreciated. Someone asked what Audi I have its an A8 its been in the shop for 65 total days and has 64k miles on it. Thank GOD I have an extended warranty and maintenance program. I like the A8 a lot when its running.

The more and more I think about it. I'm probably going to get some small wagon possibly an Audi A4 or BMW 328 wagon.
What year A8 ? 65 dayz , wow thats crazy , whats the problem ? How would you compare the LS to the A8 ? I wanted an A8 but im going Ls430.
Old 12-25-09 | 04:08 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

The most useful 2nd or 3rd vehicles I've ever had are extended cab pickup trucks with a roll-up soft tonneau on the bed. I can haul messy or oversized stuff in the bed. There's enough room in the cab to carry an occasional back seat passenger, dog, or tools. If I don't feel like washing it, who cares - it's a truck and dirt adds character. My current truck has no power accessories, so aside from the radio memory, there is no power drain when the truck is parked for an extended period.
Old 12-25-09 | 04:23 AM
tromly
Pole Position

I have two RX's in my driveway, love them both !! Go with your gut, it's your money, spend it as you wish !!

Quick Reply: Thinking of getting 2nd LS I'm I crazy?