LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-09, 07:52 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default LS Pricing

I am a new owner of an LS 430, in great condition 9/10. I thought I got a pretty good deal, until I started to read what others seem to be getting. My CPO ML, BLK ON BLK 45k LS430, was able to be bargained down to 26.5K from 28.9 in NJ. It seems that those who are getting amazing deals are on the west coast. Is there truly a different economy throughout the states for cars? Is it because CA is in such financial trouble that things are cheaper? Forgive me for my ignorance. I love my car, but Im starting to think I could have done better. Still in the long run, i must be happy with what I have and not have buyer remorse. (who could have buyers remorse on such an amazing car) But then again, who doesnt like knowing they didnt pay more than they had to. Thoughts?
Old 12-26-09, 08:05 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Impossible to judge price without specific year of the LS.

Different markets and parts of the country have slightly different prices for used LS based on available supply and demand for luxury cars. But usually the Northern snow belt used cars sell for less and are worth less as they have been exposed to harsh winter, salt, snow/ice, bad roads, etc. - leading inevitably to shorter mechanical life span and rust.
Old 12-26-09, 09:46 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It sounds like you did well for a CPO ML in great condition.
Old 12-26-09, 11:02 AM
snakehead
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That looks like low miles with CPO Warranty , You did good, I have been looking here on the west coast. Even if you found one for $20K you might spend $2-5K getting to look like what you already have. Clean interior and a sound car is worth the extra $$.
Old 12-26-09, 12:32 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Impossible to judge price without specific year of the LS.

Different markets and parts of the country have slightly different prices for used LS based on available supply and demand for luxury cars. But usually the Northern snow belt used cars sell for less and are worth less as they have been exposed to harsh winter, salt, snow/ice, bad roads, etc. - leading inevitably to shorter mechanical life span and rust.
Oops! Sorry! It's an 05
Old 12-26-09, 12:54 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Best market for cars is in FL, you can get great deals on the LS model since real estate values have been crushed !! Your car on the west coast of FL is 25k all day!!
Old 12-26-09, 02:19 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Originally Posted by tromly
Best market for cars is in FL, you can get great deals on the LS model since real estate values have been crushed !! Your car on the west coast of FL is 25k all day!!
Thanks guys for your input. I think I did just fine.
Old 12-26-09, 07:10 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
I am a new owner of an LS 430, in great condition 9/10. I thought I got a pretty good deal, until I started to read what others seem to be getting. My CPO ML, BLK ON BLK 45k LS430, was able to be bargained down to 26.5K from 28.9 in NJ. It seems that those who are getting amazing deals are on the west coast. Is there truly a different economy throughout the states for cars? Is it because CA is in such financial trouble that things are cheaper? Forgive me for my ignorance. I love my car, but Im starting to think I could have done better. Still in the long run, i must be happy with what I have and not have buyer remorse. (who could have buyers remorse on such an amazing car) But then again, who doesnt like knowing they didnt pay more than they had to. Thoughts?
I found the opposite. I live in AZ and have searched all over in CA. The best deal I found was a silver/gray '05 CPO in Fresno w/ about 40k mi for $26.7K. Other than that, the 05's ML's in So. CA w/ 50K mi were going for $31K, and 06 ML's w/ 50-60K were going for $34-36K. I paid $36.7K for my '05 UL CPO w/ 21.5K mi. It was a So. CA car, but driven in Palm Springs, which is a retirement area, so although it was hot & dry there, it didn't suffer the stop&go and freeway abuse on the So. CA freeways (freeways can be pretty bad, with freeway to overpass seems so steep it can nearly launch a car w/ an overly stiff suspension airborne at 75mph). The saleman at my dealer said that due to the economic conditions, they weren't getting many local LS lease returns/trade-ins, so they've had to buy at Lexus auctions (lease returns) in So. CA to supplement their vehicle supply. Used vehicles in So. CA fetch the highest prices due to the benign weather. Remember, if it comes from CA, it doesn't mean it's rust-free. Those who live right on the coast and park outside will have rusty cars since the air there is engulfed in a cloud of salty mist (just about everything steel in the engine compartment that's not painted like exhaust manifolds will rust).

Last edited by V8_Fan; 12-26-09 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-27-09, 12:42 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Keep in mind, most of these hot deals took place early last summer when the economy was at its worse condition. Cars have since regained at least 3-4K for those in the 20K-30K range.
Old 12-27-09, 07:51 AM
d-cannon
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Keep in mind, most of these hot deals took place early last summer when the economy was at its worse condition. Cars have since regained at least 3-4K for those in the 20K-30K range.
^^^ This.

When the economy was heading into the abyss, I got the fully loaded 2006 in my sig below with 34K miles for $30K... that was a ridiculously good time to buy. One year later, I have 45K miles on it and could probably sell it for a profit.
Old 12-28-09, 02:33 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel we should never second guess price after we purchase because theres always someone who got a better deal or lower price some place! If we are happy with what we got that matters most. Being cheated is more about feeling you didnt get your money's worth. Most LS's will vary in price depending on state its purchased and miles/year/condition/etc.! To many factors to add up. I was once happy with my price I paid as well. Then found plenty who paid less than me comparing year/price/miles/condition!

I was disappointed for a while then I saw that the car was already mone so why bother myself with who paid what. I learned that next time i'll shop around alot more. Im sure someone else will pay less than me again. I dont care anymore. HAHAHAHA! I hope your happy with the car, that matters most! L.G.N.M
Old 12-28-09, 03:25 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Guys, also keep in mind that its not just year and mileage... interior/exterior condition varies within the same year/mileage variables. Not to mention color combo's, and maintenance (some cars you wouldn't want to touch, regardless how much miles they have.)

Dont forget collision repair, which is also another big factor pricing a car. Sometimes its just much better to pay an extra 3K and know you got a car thats been well maintained with a good history.
Old 12-29-09, 03:22 AM
drink300
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Those prices mean something only if you can find a buyer. I just checked eBay for successfully closed 04 LS430 sales in the last 30 days and less than 20% of the auctions ended with a buyer. And the prices are obscenely low when they do sell.
Old 12-29-09, 04:23 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's all been said already, but you can't exactly compare one LS to another LS just based on year/mileage and come up with an exact number that should be paid. As long as you feel you got a good deal on a good vehicle, then that's that. I got mine '04 36K for $28K last winter. I feel it was the best deal that I was able to get at the time I got it and I was happy with it. So many people on the forum at the same time were probably getting similiar vehicle for $2-3K less, but so what? Some were in FL, some in CA, others in AZ. Was I going to go to those places?

It's good to get a rough idea of pricing here, but to take any numbers and think it's an exact science is ridiculous. You have to do your own homework, shop around in your area and see what your region is supporting in terms of pricing. Then, if you're willing to, you can check Ebay too and see if there are any buys you are willing to take sight-unseen, or fly out and get. When I was looking, i was almost ready to go to this guy down in Texas to take a look, but with air fare, driving, etc. it was going out to the same as what I was seeing locally anyway.
Old 12-29-09, 02:02 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

You guys bring up some very valid points! I am so happy with my car! I did just fine- Condition, Color scheme, CPO, I'm happy!