unixadm
Pit Crew

Received 103 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Which iPod Interface? Lockpick?

Just got my 2005 CL and want to add in the following:

1. Full Control through Nav screen iPod interface
2. Audio/Video Input
3. Phone/Nav functional while driving.
4. Ability to add in a DVD/MP3 player using RCA inputs.

So researching this, I need an Ultimate Lockpick 1. That will give me #2 - #4, but not #1.

So then there are options for number #1, and I'm not sure what's the very best.

1. Vais SLI
2. USASpec PA15TOY or PA20TOY
3. PIE TOY03-POD/S with 12V to 5V adapter cable to enable iPhone charging.

I want the one that can navigate songs/artists the easiest way on the iPod/iPhone. #1 seems to be the preferred on this forum, #2 is second with a few posts, and #3 I did not see anyone using it.

So with this being 2010, what are you guys recommending as of current?
Old 01-04-10, 10:33 PM
jman-LS430
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You didn't mention the SL2Vi, but just in case you were thinking about it, I personally do not recommend the SL2vi since the video option is not convenient, although once working, it works well. The SLI is a great option because of this. And, if you get the SLI, then you can use the ultimate lockpick 1.

BTW, I still have my new lockpick1 for sale that I was unable to use because I have the SL2Vi. See

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mob...-lx-rx-ls.html
Old 01-04-10, 11:36 PM
unixadm
Pit Crew

Your previous thread about the SL2Vi steered me away from it. But I will purchase your Lockpick from you and sent you a PM regarding that.
Old 01-06-10, 06:25 PM
unixadm
Pit Crew

Anybody? Last call before I roll the dice I guess.
Old 01-07-10, 11:46 AM
snoop562
Pole Position

i got the usapec pa20toy, its ok but you can only navigate playlists it has an option for direct ipod control if yo want a certain song or artist.
Old 01-19-10, 07:15 PM
et1490
Driver School Candidate

sorry this is kinda long but maybe someone else will find this useful.
After reading all the posts on this forum for about 6 mo. I took the plunge... I bought the VAIS Sirius unit and the SL2vi for the ipod interface (incl video).
The sirius unit is great and flawless. The SL2vi for the ipod...I'm only lukewarm on. now that Ive spent 500 bucks and my nav and radio are disassembled with wires running everywehere... here is what I've learned:

There are two inputs on the back of the radio for my 05 Ls430 (with Nav).
The pass side input is what the Sirius plugs into using a Y harness and this input is accessed by the AM-SAT button.

The input on the drivers side of the rear of the radio is what the ipod plugs into (using a Y harness adapter). using this input... the ipod emulates itself as a CD. Just today, I came to realize that there are two different types of ipod interfaces, the ones that emulate themselves as a CD and go through the driver side input and the other ones that emulate a satellite input and use the input on the pass side (many displace the real satellite input).

I knew to expect that I'd only be able to play using playlists. What kinda bummed me out is that the nav identifies the playlists as Discs 1 thru 6 (it can do more, I just happen to have 6 playlists) so I have to guess which number is my ballads playlist, which number is my R&R playlist and so on. Also I wish it would scroll through artist, song, and alblum. it doesn't. you have to push a button to see each. and finally given such a good nav screen I was hoping it would display album art. nope. must be a limitation of the CD emulation. perhaps if I was willing to forego the sirius and use that input for the ipod perhaps I get more functionality, but the sirius trumps my ipod for my purposes

I've taken quite a few pictures to do a full write-up when I'm done. and I'm still wondering where to mount everything (glovebox?). I'm seriously thinking about returning the ipod adapter. yes it works, but i think it should at least read my playlists as texts not as Disc 1-2-3-4-5-6 etc. will, try the video input tonight and see how that goes.

my original goals for this round was:>
- add sirius receiver
- add ipod adapter with full video input
- find purple wire behind nav screen, cut, insert switch to enter addresses while moving. have not found ideal spot to mount switch yet.

The following items were also on the list, but have now been deferred:
- run 8 ga wire from batt to trunk for Rockford Fosgate amp.
- purchase 10" JL audio sub and build custom enclosure to fit in forward LH corner of trunk. (Measurements are completed though).

Drove the car to work today with the radio still loose and the back seat still out. car probably looks stolen to anyone who walks buy and looks in it .
Old 01-20-10, 01:04 PM
et1490
Driver School Candidate

one additional thought...

When using Sirius you have SAT 1, SAT 2, and SAT 3 each with 6 stations.
I could have sworn that last year I stumbled across a ipod option that took the place of SAT 3 but left the first 2 intact. now I can't find it.

apologies...didn't mean to hi-jack your thread with my rambling in the previous post.