LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Not sure if this is an issue or not (brakes or tranny)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-10, 06:14 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Not sure if this is an issue or not (brakes or tranny)

Hey Guys,

So I've only had the car for about 2 weeks and I am learning its personality and feel more comfortable with the car. My biggest mistake was not driving other specimens of 430's but I figured with my car being CPO, any problem would be taken care of, and the test drive was pretty exciting and it's hard to notice every little thing.....

Anyway, one thing I have noticed that I'm not too sure about is the way the car takes off from a red light. I will try to explain the best I can....

When I release the brakes when the light turns green, or simply from a stop, there seems to be this sensation of a secondary release a split second after I take my foot of the pedal. I don't know if its the tranny engaging or the front and rear releasing a split second apart from each other or what. It's really strange. It's not a huge feeling, but a slight shudder that is felt when the brake is released.

With my maxima, it had a simliar "issue" where there would be a little jerk when the car would coast to a light and the tranny would downshift into first, but all maximas from my generation do it, so its not an issue- anyone else know what I'm talking about with the LS?
Old 01-05-10, 07:16 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I do not experience what you're describing, but being CPO the brakes and everything should be new or close to new. Perhaps the CPO process they replaced your brake pads and they are not settled in yet and are grabbing when you first release them. Are your rotors rusty perhaps? Maybe the LS sat for a while, but you said you've had it 2 weeks now, so the rust should have burned off by now.

Don't know what to tell you, maybe others here have had the same thing.
Old 01-05-10, 08:17 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Talk to your salesman - ask them to drive the car while you are passenger or ask if you can test drive another LS of the same year and option set if they have one. See if what you are experiencing is actually different in your car or if its the same in another LS. Your salesman should be concerned about making sure your are happy - if they are not ask to speak to the sales manager.
Old 01-05-10, 11:58 PM
Vpanin
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a weird issue.............just take to the place you got it from and tell them about it..........worked with me and my concerns. That was Lexus of Smithtown. Which dealer u got it from??
Old 01-06-10, 04:54 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vpanin
Sounds like a weird issue.............just take to the place you got it from and tell them about it..........worked with me and my concerns. That was Lexus of Smithtown. Which dealer u got it from??
Ray Catena in Oakhurst NJ.

EDIT: So after driving the car and really evaluating the "issue", I don't think that there is an issue at all. I think that because this is my first nice car, and the hype of being a my first luxury car, I may have sent my senses into hyper territory. If one constantly looks for an issue, chances are they will find it. I must nip this obsessiveness in the bud, because I can see how a car like this can cause a normal person to become **** retentive about every last detail, and in the end, it cannot be perfect, it is still just a car, nothing more, nothing less. Even a lexus cannot be asked to perform to such perfection. Heck, it's not the space shuttle we're talking about here.

I'll still bring it up when I go in for my first free oil change, but I might get a look from the sercie guy like I'm a little nutty.

Last edited by Lust4Lexus; 01-06-10 at 06:21 AM.
Old 01-06-10, 06:37 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Dude I hope your car works out a whole lot better than the space shuttle. With the current space shuttle program, there has been a roughly 2% death rate per astronaut-flight, and an average failure rate of nearly 1 in every 60 missions. If my car worked that good I'd buy a bus pass.
Old 01-06-10, 07:21 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Dude I hope your car works out a whole lot better than the space shuttle. With the current space shuttle program, there has been a roughly 2% death rate per astronaut-flight, and an average failure rate of nearly 1 in every 60 missions. If my car worked that good I'd buy a bus pass.
LMAO! Wow- I had no idea that the space shuttle program was so dismal.
Old 01-06-10, 10:14 AM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Talk to your salesman - ask them to drive the car while you are passenger or ask if you can test drive another LS of the same year and option set if they have one. See if what you are experiencing is actually different in your car or if its the same in another LS. Your salesman should be concerned about making sure your are happy - if they are not ask to speak to the sales manager.

Precisely what I would do. My first concern would be the transmission. Whatever the issue since your car is CPO it will be taken care of.