LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Only 18k miles, change timing belt?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-10, 07:30 AM
m8554
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Only 18k miles, change timing belt?

I just purchased a 2003 LS430 with only 18,500 miles. It was owned by a 90 year old who bought it new and always had the dealer take care of it. The car is like new. My question is the maintenance schedule says to change the timing belt at 6 years or 90,000 miles. This car only has 18,500 miles but is now 7 years old. Should I change the timing belt?
Old 01-17-10, 08:35 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

rubber does age even if unused. Take a look at your tires - there is a date code on each sidewall - if they are more than 7-8 years old I would change them for sure even if they had plenty of tread.
As for the timing belt that's a tough one to answer. I suggest you make some calls and get 2-3 more opinions on that issue - and ask to speak to Lexus service manager and see what they say.

Other thing to look at is the storage environment - Was the car stored inside, were there temp extremes, does the engine bay look clean and new or old, oxidized and dirty? what do the other belts and hoses look like? - if the other belts and hoses look new then the timing belt likely is in similar shape. If they look old, oxidized, cracked, etc than timing belt may be in similar shape.
Old 01-17-10, 08:44 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you haven't already, register the VIN on www.lexus.com and print out the service history. Verify that the previous owner didn't already have the belt changed.
Old 01-17-10, 01:20 PM
m8554
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I checked the service history and the timing belt was never done. The car has only been in for 3 or 4 routine services, the last being a 15k service. Tires on the car are original and still have plenty of tread. This car was only driven about 2k miles per year and always parked in a garage. The previous owners said they loved the car and treated it like their baby. It literally looks like it was in a time capsule for the past 6 years. You have a good point to check the serpentine belt for wear and I haven't been able to do that yet. I guess I will contact a Lexus service manager to see what he thinks. They will probably just say to change it though.
Old 01-17-10, 01:31 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by m8554
I checked the service history and the timing belt was never done. The car has only been in for 3 or 4 routine services, the last being a 15k service. Tires on the car are original and still have plenty of tread. This car was only driven about 2k miles per year and always parked in a garage. The previous owners said they loved the car and treated it like their baby. It literally looks like it was in a time capsule for the past 6 years. You have a good point to check the serpentine belt for wear and I haven't been able to do that yet. I guess I will contact a Lexus service manager to see what he thinks. They will probably just say to change it though.
Let's think for a minute about what causes the belt to deteriorate. The manual says to change at 90,000 miles or 6 years. So miles driven has an effect. If a person drives 90,000 miles in one year, then the belt has deteriorated. Why? Because running the engine puts stress on the belt under higher temperature conditions than just age alone. I'm sure that when Lexus developed these change parameters, they never envisioned someone having less than 20,000 miles in 6 years. I'm thinking the belt in this car is probably in pretty good condition. This is a very unusual situation that isn't generally seen.

Perhaps folks who collect and restore old cars would have better information regarding this issue (i.e., those who find an old car is a remote barn that hasn't been driven in 20 years, etc).

Lexus mechanics probably don't have any experience to fall back on for this car.
Old 01-17-10, 01:56 PM
jman-LS430
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, only 18K miles. Great find. How did you find it? And you gotta show some pics.
Old 01-17-10, 02:50 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

If it were mine, I would not be concerned about it. But again, that's me. My '95 Supra has the original belt and all hoses and they LOOK fine and still feel supple an not hardened like higher mileage vehicles. I routinely spin the Supra to 8100 RPM and even with that, the belt looks fine.
Old 01-17-10, 06:08 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

I agree - Made in Japan hoses and belts from Toyota are generally better made and very high quality which tend to last a lot longer (in terms oxidation and cracking). If you keep them clean, by regularly cleaning the engine bay, my experience has been they will easily last 10+ years.
Old 01-17-10, 06:35 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would change the tires and the belts. Small price to pay for a 2003 with 18,000 miles on it and is worth it to keep the car up and running. I say change all fluids as well sir. Just to be on the safe side. Depending on your funding do it one at a time until you finish all task that can help you avoid issues. When cars have low miles but have age like yours they still can have issues ironically because they werent driven enough to keep the engine and other parts lubed and running smooth!L.G.N.M

Last edited by usermel; 03-15-10 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-17-10, 07:35 PM
bqLS430
Driver School Candidate

Common man, 18K and you are thinking about changing the belt?? Remember Lexus is a child of Toyota....they are built very strong. All things considered, Save your money and just drive it
Old 01-18-10, 05:25 PM
DrJfrmLA
Driver School Candidate

My wife's '04 had 12.5k miles when we bought it in '07. The rubber stuff is going now, even though it now has only 45k on it. The OEM tires had to be replaced three months ago not because they were worn out (amazing mileage from OEM tires), but they were dry rotted and separating. They probably had 5k miles of tread remaining, but they were dangerous.

The advice others gave is well offered.

Have someone who you have confidence in check the tires, belts and hoses for dry rot. Better to replace them if they are the least 'iffy' than get left on the side of the road or lose all your accessories at highway speed.
Old 01-18-10, 09:21 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by m8554
I just purchased a 2003 LS430 with only 18,500 miles. It was owned by a 90 year old who bought it new and always had the dealer take care of it. The car is like new. My question is the maintenance schedule says to change the timing belt at 6 years or 90,000 miles. This car only has 18,500 miles but is now 7 years old. Should I change the timing belt?
The maintenance schedule calls for the timing belt to be changed at 6 years or 90,000 miles. That is very clear to me.
Having owned quite a few low mileage cars that sat up for a while I can tell you ALL rubber ages regardless of mileage and that includes timing belts.
You have also been given some very good advice with regard to changing all of your car's fluids: power steering, brakes, coolant, and rear differential.
Old 01-18-10, 09:29 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree DNC. He has a great low mileage car so doing those replacements are worth it. He for the most part has a new car at 18,000 miles. Doing all the fluids and all the belts will save him money. I can only dream of getting a car with 18,000 miles that is a luxury car like he did. If I had that car for what he paid the 1st thing i'd do is all the fluid and belts and find out other minor things I should replace etc.! That car can go for a long time!!! L.G.N.M
Old 01-19-10, 05:15 AM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by usermel
I agree DNC. He has a great low mileage car so doing those replacements are worth it. He for the most part has a new car at 18,000 miles. Doing all the fluids and all the belts will save him money. I can only dream of getting a car with 18,000 miles that is a luxury car like he did. If I had that car for what he paid the 1st thing i'd do is all the fluid and belts and find out other minor things I should replace etc.! That car can go for a long time!!! L.G.N.M
Yes, the car sounds like a great discovery. I see no reason to take chances.
Old 01-19-10, 09:28 AM
smamas
Driver School Candidate

I am sure I am going to get flamed for this. I have a 97 LS 400 with almost 140K on it and have not replaced the timing belt yet. OK, have at me!

Quick Reply: Only 18k miles, change timing belt?