Identifying marks of an Ultra Luxury?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-10, 08:22 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Pretty much

Originally Posted by caddyowner
I'm interested in finding a CL. Here is the process I use when viewing pictures in online ads:

1 - Look at the pics of the front of the car and identify if there are headlamp washer covers on the top of the bumper. There are usually at least two pics of the front of the car, a quarter view and a straight-on view. When the headlamp washers are present, the car is a CL or UL.

2 - Look at pics of the center stack for additional switches in front of the shifter. These switches are only present on a UL.

3 - If the above switches aren't clearly visible, look for a pic of the back seat with the armrest folded down and check for the UL controls on the armrest.

4 - Look for a pic of the back seat and search for the manual pull for the side shade at the inside bottom of the rear door window. Again, the side shades are only present on a UL.

5 - Look for a pic of the trunk and determine how far forward it extends. If the forward bulkhead of the trunk is at the back of the wheelwells it is a UL. If the forward bulkhead is at the back seat, the pass through is visible, and/or a floor bump on the center / right side is visible, it is not a UL.

Also remember that the only interior colors on CL and UL units are black, ecru, and saddle. No gray or cashmere. Ignore the color printed in the ad because sellers screw this up all the time - especially ecru, cashmere, and saddle. Differences between these 3:

- Cashmere is beige and the seat color matches the carpet. Depending on lighting, it can look dark or light.
- Ecru is off-white and the seat color is somewhat lighter than the carpet.
- Saddle has brown/orange leather seats and all carpets and other leather is black. This is a rare offering and usually only found on black and a few white or (supposedly) flint mica cars.

Yes, I have a problem with spouting too much detail.
yeah, that's pretty much what I did. No headlamp washer, I moved on. If headlamp washer, then either center console for button detail, or the trunk picture. If neither was there, just called the person.
Old 01-21-10, 04:44 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I hate when sellers don't post any pictures or only use stock pics. Often, it's dealers that want you on the phone so they can try to sell you any car.
Old 01-21-10, 12:02 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Also you can tell if it is a ULs by the extra vents that are on the quater panels behind the front seats and in the ceiling in the back above the rear doors. Just my two cents !
Old 01-21-10, 12:19 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
Also you can tell if it is a ULs by the extra vents that are on the quater panels behind the front seats and in the ceiling in the back above the rear doors. Just my two cents !
Didn't ever realize this... here a photo to show what Slvr surfr is pointing out.
Attached Thumbnails Identifying marks of an Ultra Luxury?-ls430_rear_ac.jpg  
Old 01-21-10, 12:34 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

huh, i never knew the non UL's didnt have this... thanks for the info.
Old 01-21-10, 12:57 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I also think the Ultra's are the only ones with rear memory seats...
Attached Thumbnails Identifying marks of an Ultra Luxury?-ls430_rear_memory.jpg  
Old 01-21-10, 02:09 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DDLexus
Didn't ever realize this... here a photo to show what Slvr surfr is pointing out.
Sometimes you have to just look up for all you answers!
Old 01-21-10, 05:56 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
These vents are part of the separate rear air conditioner in the UL. The UL is the only model with a separate rear A/C. The rear main air filter also incorporates a UV lamp to purify the air. It also has small filters beneath the rear seats for the air that blows thru the seats.

Got to love the UL.
Old 01-21-10, 08:01 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Nice catch you guys with the pictures. Yes, the rear doors on UL will have the three buttons also, another easy catch, if the seller posts interior pictures.
Old 01-22-10, 09:26 AM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
you will not find another trim other than UL with the factory air susp, and check the sticky for more info on how to determine if its a UL or not,, you pretty much covered it, and 01-03 / 04-06 are just about identical in terms of identifying a UL over non UL. .... side rear curtains, suqare plastic grill where the L is, perfectly symmetrical front bumper...
incorrect,...mine is a CL....with factory air....
Old 01-22-10, 10:03 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Wait !!!!

Originally Posted by junjdm
WAIT !!!! You're sasquatch, you're big foot, you're the Lock Ness monster, you're a president that speaks the truth ?!?!?!? You're the urban legend that I thought existed at first, but then was persuaded by others that did not exist ?!?!?!

You have a CL trim that has factory air suspension???? PICTURES PICTURES !!! When I started researching on the Lexus site, air was listed as a standalone option, for CL and UL. But then many on here said that it was not and never existed. Over time, no one came out to fess up, and say they had it. So, with so many telling me that it did not exist, I just figured that it wasn't true. The Air CL trim was just a myth.

You're now telling me the busted myth is in fact CONFIRMED?!?!?

YES YES YES !!!
Old 01-22-10, 10:04 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by junjdm
Is there a past thread where you detailed this? How did it appear on the window sticker? How does it appear on the build sticker (that I assume is in these cars somewhere)? Are there other CLs like yours?
Old 01-22-10, 10:17 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

the way i was always learn-ed was that it was an option apparently on the CL but that it was so costly (i forget exact amount but upwards of like 6k) that anyone who wanted the air just went for the UL package which it was included in. thus far on my search of 2 countries i have been unable to locate any that had the stock air other than UL's and all this time jun was just chillin right there the whole time with one.

so now the questions is was it an option only on the 01-03's CL's or was it an option also on the 04-06 CL's as well. and if so then you would figure that there would have to be an 04-06 CL w/ factory air out there somewhere as well.

how come you've never chimed in on this before jun? you know you prolly now have the single most rare ls430 in the U.S. well with factory packaging at least
Old 01-22-10, 11:02 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

I took a look at the 2001 sales brochure (from the FAQ thread) and the adaptive air suspension is listed as a stand-alone option (available in spring 2001). It is not listed as part of the UL package.
Old 01-22-10, 11:06 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by caddyowner
I took a look at the 2001 sales brochure (from the FAQ thread) and the adaptive air suspension is listed as a stand-alone option (available in spring 2001). It is not listed as part of the UL package.
huh ??? now i am even more confused,, i should stop before i hurt my head...

Quick Reply: Identifying marks of an Ultra Luxury?