LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Identifying marks of an Ultra Luxury?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-10, 06:28 AM
waijai
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Identifying marks of an Ultra Luxury?

What are the traits that the UL has over other trim models?

- 01-03 has the backup sensors on the bumper
- rear arm rest has AC and radio controls
- 01-03 has switches in the center console for ride height

What do the 04-06's have in terms of identifying marks? I can spot the 01-03 but don't know about the 04-06.

Also what other trim model has factory air suspension? Custom Luxury? Does it have the same buttons on the center console for ride height?
Old 01-19-10, 07:08 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you will not find another trim other than UL with the factory air susp, and check the sticky for more info on how to determine if its a UL or not,, you pretty much covered it, and 01-03 / 04-06 are just about identical in terms of identifying a UL over non UL. .... side rear curtains, suqare plastic grill where the L is, perfectly symmetrical front bumper...
Old 01-19-10, 07:49 AM
waijai
Racer

Looks like the 2001 Custom Luxury has air suspension, while the 02-06 only allows it on the UL.

http://www.cars.com/go/crp/research....tionsAndExtras

Thanks!!
Old 01-19-10, 07:53 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,377 Posts

Search and you'll find plenty of discussions on this topic Here are just a couple

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...y-package.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...430-ultra.html
Old 01-19-10, 08:56 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

One way to tell that is not often mentioned it to look at the front of the trunk (or a pic that shows the trunk clearly). In non-UL cars, the trunk extends all the way to the back of the seat and the hump in the floor and pass-through are visible. In UL cars, the front bulkhead of the trunk is just past the start of the wheelwells and you can't see the hump in the floor or the (non-existant) pass-through.
Old 01-19-10, 09:03 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by waijai
Looks like the 2001 Custom Luxury has air suspension, while the 02-06 only allows it on the UL.

http://www.cars.com/go/crp/research....tionsAndExtras

Thanks!!

I BELIEVE THIS 01 NON UL W/ AIR SUSP TO BE A MISTAKE or typo...

if you come across one can you please let us all know.
Old 01-19-10, 01:18 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
suqare plastic grill where the L is
If you are referring to the clear plastic piece in front of the "L" emblem on the front grill, this does not signify the car is an UL. The Custom Luxury version also came with the plastic grill insert (part of the Pre-collision System - PCS).
Old 01-19-10, 03:53 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by DDLexus
If you are referring to the clear plastic piece in front of the "L" emblem on the front grill, this does not signify the car is an UL. The Custom Luxury version also came with the plastic grill insert (part of the Pre-collision System - PCS).
I have a very early 04 UL which came out before the PCS was included. The plastic grill insert was a part of the PCS. My UL does not have the plastic grill insert.
Old 01-19-10, 07:03 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just from pictures, the easiest is the trunk like Caddy-man is describing. Most pictures online don't have the rear center armrest down so you can see, also the views some times are of the front doors, etc. so you don't see the full center console. If you're just looking from outside at the four corners, you can't tell if UL or CL. Even if lowered, could be just a CL dropped.
Old 01-20-10, 05:27 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

when i first read this thread i was thinking you were asking how to tell if a car was a UL by it just driving by next to you in traffic for example... to me this is the hardest possible way to tell cuz unless they have their rear sun shades up its very very hard to tell. but one of my neighbors has an 01-03 UL and i have never once seen him have his sun shades up.

my bad i thought the pcs thing was only on a UL i have never seen one on a non UL in the 04-06 range yet, but like someone said i have seen some UL's that didn't have the square plastic thing.
Old 01-20-10, 05:45 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Per the sales brochure, laser adaptive cruise control was standard on the CL and UL. This did not have the square plastic thing. Radar adaptive cruise control with PCS was an option on CL and UL. This had the square plastic thing.

I suspect the radar was required to get a faster, more accurate reading of the distance and closing speed in order to activate the pre-collision system.
Old 01-20-10, 06:28 AM
waijai
Racer

I guess my point is just trying to spot them on Autotrader and eBay when I'm shopping for one. Anyone know sales figures as to # of ultra luxury's sold each year?
Old 01-20-10, 07:23 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

for 06 it was slim to none
Old 01-20-10, 09:29 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

I guess my point is just trying to spot them on Autotrader and eBay when I'm shopping for one.
I'm interested in finding a CL. Here is the process I use when viewing pictures in online ads:

1 - Look at the pics of the front of the car and identify if there are headlamp washer covers on the top of the bumper. There are usually at least two pics of the front of the car, a quarter view and a straight-on view. When the headlamp washers are present, the car is a CL or UL.

2 - Look at pics of the center stack for additional switches in front of the shifter. These switches are only present on a UL.

3 - If the above switches aren't clearly visible, look for a pic of the back seat with the armrest folded down and check for the UL controls on the armrest.

4 - Look for a pic of the back seat and search for the manual pull for the side shade at the inside bottom of the rear door window. Again, the side shades are only present on a UL.

5 - Look for a pic of the trunk and determine how far forward it extends. If the forward bulkhead of the trunk is at the back of the wheelwells it is a UL. If the forward bulkhead is at the back seat, the pass through is visible, and/or a floor bump on the center / right side is visible, it is not a UL.

Also remember that the only interior colors on CL and UL units are black, ecru, and saddle. No gray or cashmere. Ignore the color printed in the ad because sellers screw this up all the time - especially ecru, cashmere, and saddle. Differences between these 3:

- Cashmere is beige and the seat color matches the carpet. Depending on lighting, it can look dark or light.
- Ecru is off-white and the seat color is somewhat lighter than the carpet.
- Saddle has brown/orange leather seats and all carpets and other leather is black. This is a rare offering and usually only found on black and a few white or (supposedly) flint mica cars.

Yes, I have a problem with spouting too much detail.

Last edited by caddyowner; 01-20-10 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-20-10, 08:14 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Search brother...

I guess my point is just trying to spot them on Autotrader and eBay when I'm shopping for one. Anyone know sales figures as to # of ultra luxury's sold each year?
Do a search here on similiar topics, someone had posted the production numbers, but it went from high in 2001 of like 4000 units or something, to about less than 500 units in 2006.

Anyway, look around, they're out there, just not in great numbers.

Quick Reply: Identifying marks of an Ultra Luxury?