LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Treated my baby to new rotors & pads

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-10, 11:18 AM
justunme
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One month has passed since you put on the new rotors. Are they working as expected? Any regrets? Looking to get the same setup.
Old 02-22-10, 12:53 PM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
...don't get me wrong the braking power was a huge improvement...
The rotors themselves had a negative effect on braking. Maybe the pads made up for it but I doubt it.
Slots were used with old technology pads to releases gases built up between the pad & rotor. New pad technology (1990+) made the slots unecessary. Cross drilling only makes the rotor weaker, more prone to cracking, warping and removes surface area which negatively effects braking performance.

Originally Posted by yuri.ber
When I did my research I learned that slotted rotors on regular city cars are not necessary, they are used in racing.
Your going to have to research more than that.
Slotted and drilled are for aesthetics only. Try contacting any of the big brake manufacturers and they'll tell you the same thing.
Last I spoke with Stoptech they told me they'd never make another slotted or drilled rotor again if it wasn't for consumer demand.

Just to add, the slots or drilling pattern only dictate placement if they rotors are directionally vented. If they are vented directionally then you want the vent to create a vacuum pulling the heat away from the centre of the rotor.

I'm not trying to bash anyone. Just tryin to help others not make the same mistake.
Old 02-27-10, 07:25 PM
Swagga82
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As with any ceramic pads, they need to be wormed up to get full brake power. As they worm up the performance is incredible. Also, the rotors do NOT rust hense rain snow and salt on the roads.
i have installed my ERP brakes and rotors today feels kinda good so far hope it stays like this! stops nice no shacking no brake noise
Old 02-28-10, 08:21 AM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Swagga82
Congrats! Now that I've driven more on these rotors and pads the braking is much more smoother.
Old 02-28-10, 09:17 AM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

As with any ceramic pads, they need to be wormed up to get full brake power. As they worm up the performance is incredible. Also, the rotors do NOT rust hense rain snow and salt on the roads.
What does this mean? I've always questioned the wisdom of putting pads meant for racing on our street-driven cars. Those pads are meant to work well at high temps but at the price of lower performance at lower temps which are typical of a LS430 driven on the street. Maybe braking power suffers with these types of pads for 90% of the driving we do? You actually get LESS braking power with racing pads? I really don't know but I am skeptical of 'upgrades' - I want to know WHY a certain pad is supposed to be better.
Old 02-28-10, 10:42 AM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by campisi
What does this mean? I've always questioned the wisdom of putting pads meant for racing on our street-driven cars. Those pads are meant to work well at high temps but at the price of lower performance at lower temps which are typical of a LS430 driven on the street. Maybe braking power suffers with these types of pads for 90% of the driving we do? You actually get LESS braking power with racing pads? I really don't know but I am skeptical of 'upgrades' - I want to know WHY a certain pad is supposed to be better.
Ceramic breaks are better because they produce much less brake dust, virtually noiseless and less likely to wrap rotors. But they operate at a hotter temperature. In real life it means when you start driving it takes a few minutes and/or a few miles to get pads to operating temp. This does not mean you have no brakes or you press the pedal and it barely grips, it means for those few miles you'll feel a little more tension in the pedal and you'll need to press it a little further.