LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

future buyer, not impressed with HID :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-10, 03:34 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

As others have mentioned before, it could be due to an aiming problem, which is common on cars with headlights that have been replaced at one point or another.

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
About the only thing I don't like on my LS is the lights, the HID light in 06 LS are OK - but don't kid yourselves, there are lots better lighst available. For example, the LS lights are nowhere near as good as the ones I had on my 1999 RL. The HID on the RL were world class good lights. I did not realize how good the HID were on the RL until I got the LS and was significantly disappointed.

IN the LS the HID do cast a wide beam in case you want to see whats at your extreme left or right, but I would prefer better lighting upfront ahead of me. The beam cut off with the LS is too harsh. It also does not provide light for approaching street signs on dark roads. In addition the auto adjust lights are bouncing up and down trying to adjust and with the cutoff being so harsh its just lame and distracting at best. btw- I had my lights dealer adjusted per Lexus specs and they are still disappointing. Just my .02 worth.

In my opinion, the LS430 (04-06) sports the BEST projectors in the industry, bar none. Nothing is even close save for the TL projectors. I think this is generally agreed upon in the HID expert circles. Feel free to ask around www.hidplanet.com .

Nothing throws out a wider beam pattern quite like the LS430, or distance wise either.

Here is a GS retrofitted with LS430 projectors:
Attached Thumbnails future buyer, not impressed with HID :(-dsc_0066.jpg   future buyer, not impressed with HID :(-dsc_0073.jpg  

Last edited by GRAND_LS 4; 01-25-10 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-25-10, 03:54 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
In my opinion, the LS430 (04-06) sports the BEST projectors in the industry, bar none. Nothing is even close save for the TL projectors. I think this is generally agreed upon in the HID expert circles. Feel free to ask around www.hidplanet.com .

Nothing throws out a wider beam pattern quite like the LS430, or distance wise either.

Here is a GS retrofitted with LS430 projectors:
I recall seeing 2-3 years ago where the Mercedes guys (the hands-on types such as some of the E55 owners and the like) were retrofitting LS projectors to replace the best that MB had to offer.
Old 01-25-10, 04:58 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally i think the LS HID's are pretty good. The cut,obviously, is for not to blind on coming passengers and they are cutoff at just the right height. The 99 TL have reflectors i believe and do not cut off at a sharper rate as the LS. Therefore you get more light in the "air" for instance. Some people may find that more useful and may need to see whats on the wall when they pass by or into people houses LMAO! Anyway, i think more light is useful on the ground in front you which the LS does perfectly IMO. With the fogs lights turned on, which will give you a little more "air" lighting, you now have the perfect beam of lighting.
Old 01-25-10, 05:46 PM
wildace
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree. my 02 ls's headlights seem mediocre. i believe thats due to the fact that its an early stage in OEM HID technology. my 04 sti had the same mediocre HID while my friends 06 sti with projector HID was far superior. projector HID seems alot cleaner and brighter. i added a 55watt HID kit to my fog lights recently and noticed a huge improvement. btw i drive in nyc so there are lots of lights everywhere.
Old 01-25-10, 07:33 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

The HIDs on my 05 LS are amazingly bright, always the brightest of any car on the road. They put the HIDs on my LX (retrofitted), which are already much brighter than the stock halogens (4x the light output), to shame. The AFS also works well, too. I think either something is wrong with your HIDs or its just an older model.
Old 01-25-10, 07:39 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hate to admit it but, 2001 LS430's are older cars now. If a car is a Camry r Accord by Honda its a good chance there will be a difference in the headlights as well as other features. We are talking a 2001 LS430 and thats getting long in the tooth in terms of technology. Its not a put down to 2001's because I have one but, there is so much done tech wise year by year with cars etc. these days.

The Camry is a great car by the way!!! L.G.N.M
Old 01-25-10, 08:39 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like my '04 HIDS over my friend's 2009 TSX HIDS. The TSX has a more blueish color to them even after warming up and I think it actually provides less lighting. The LS are definitely wide and up front could be improved a little, but I like the overall lighting.
Old 01-25-10, 09:52 PM
AznRacer
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

on my 03 LS my hid lighting output is amazing im completely happy with it. if you want more lights output you should look into adding hid for the fogs
Old 01-25-10, 10:34 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by I6turbo
I recall seeing 2-3 years ago where the Mercedes guys (the hands-on types such as some of the E55 owners and the like) were retrofitting LS projectors to replace the best that MB had to offer.
why would anyone want to fit a Lexus projector on a MB??? that would be very foolish.
Low beam wise, the E and the LS is pretty decent (both also swivel 04 and newer). However I dont like the High Beam on the LS compared to my E. My E High Beam is so much brighter, I sometimes wonder if the High Beam is even on the LS when I turn it on.
Attached Thumbnails future buyer, not impressed with HID :(-mercedes_benz_e_class_e63_amg_sedan_2009_exterior_headlight.jpg   future buyer, not impressed with HID :(-lexus-ls430-3.jpg  
Old 01-26-10, 06:11 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
I sometimes wonder if the High Beam is even on the LS when I turn it on.
LOL Either you must be turning them on in broad daylight, or you have something wrong with your lights. Otherwise, that's an absurd statement, IME.
Old 01-26-10, 06:44 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've replaced my drl's with blue-ish ones that look bright as sheet in the day time but at night when i turn on my highs they do about zero so yeah... do you have this done too killergs4
Old 01-26-10, 10:25 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts
Thumbs up

Summary:
01-03 uses REFLECTORS for beam dispersement. It's possible that OP's HID bulbs are starting to die off and turning a little yellow, as someone mentioned.

With new fresh bulbs, it will make a big difference. As check for proper alignment, both vertical and horizontal.

Nothing beats the LS430 projector in the wide projection department. Acura's TL/s2000 and LS460 are excellent in the sharp cutoff department.

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
why would anyone want to fit a Lexus projector on a MB??? that would be very foolish.
because this is what you get (on the older w210s )

Last edited by GS3Tek; 01-26-10 at 09:44 PM. Reason: BRAIN FART-meant to say REFLECTORS, NOT PROJECTORS
Old 01-26-10, 07:13 PM
wildace
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont spread misinformation. 01-03 DO NOT USE PROJECTORS!!!
Old 01-26-10, 08:04 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Lets remain on topic, that is the LS430's headlight output.

as mentioned before, 01-03 uses reflectors, and as bulbs age, so does thier brightness. Replacing old HID bulbs will yeild a huge difference (done this on both my old 98LS and current '02 GS and the results are extremely noticeable.)

04-06 uses a projector with AFS.
Old 01-26-10, 08:13 PM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

The best HID lights out there is from a Honda S2000. That's one of the reason I bought the car. The LS430's HID is pretty good. Like many mentioned above, you need to aim it properly. Once aimed, it works fantastic. Some BMW are pretty good to but the color spectrum on them while some may find cool looking is rather annoying to me.

Quick Reply: future buyer, not impressed with HID :(