LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

future buyer, not impressed with HID :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-10, 08:37 AM
intermec
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default future buyer, not impressed with HID :(

tested a stock 2001 UL package, nice silver with black/red wood inside.
Really, I am not impressed with the HID headlight.

It looked nice from the outside, bright and white but it was bad when driving....I had to check the headlight switch a couple times wondering if the light was on.
Going back to my Camry after the test drive, I was like OMG, my Camry has better headlight, seriously.

Current owners, what do you think about the HID on your LS?
Old 01-25-10, 09:11 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

an 01 ls compared to what an 06 camry??? what year camry? my 05 UL ls has awesome headlight.
Old 01-25-10, 09:30 AM
playa3uhh
Lexus Test Driver

Is it the color or the actual output that you are not satisfied with? I have an 05 SC and an 01 LS and the only difference is that the 05 has a "bluer" output. The reason for this is most likely the color temperature that the bulb emits. The LS uses 4300K (whitish) while the SC uses a 6000K (bluish). My 08 Avalon and the LS seem to have the same color temperature at 4300K and I prefer the bluer tint (6000K); but I'm not compelled enough to change out my headlight bulbs. When they break, then I'll change em. Just a suggestion but you can change out your bulbs. (It was hard doing it on my SC, but definitely worth it)
Old 01-25-10, 10:52 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

HIDs are very sensitive to aim because they have a distinct horizontal cutoff to help prevent the light from blinding oncoming drivers. The vertical aim may need to be adjusted. Also, if one has never driven a car with this headlight design, it can appear that there is something wrong with the lighting because of the sudden cutoff.
Old 01-25-10, 11:01 AM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Sorry to hear you are not satisfied with the HIDs. LS430 HID projectors are some of the best, they emit crazy wide output.

If you aren't satisfied, I'd be willing to take them off your hands .
Old 01-25-10, 11:11 AM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Something was definitely wrong with the HIDs on the vehicle you tested. The LS430 projectors are insanely good. In my 05 it's like a solid 160 degree light blast in front of me when my lights are on. I'd describe it as being ridiculously good.

Having driven the 05\06 and later model change Camry there is no comparison - the LS smokes those cars headlights. I've driven a lot of other late model cars as well (Lexus, Infiniti, Volvo, etc) and I've never found anything that comes even close to the LS headlights.

Go and test drive another vehicle - I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised. You'll then be really grateful you didn't buy the car you just tested as well.
Old 01-25-10, 11:19 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by intermec
tested a stock 2001 UL package, nice silver with black/red wood inside.
Really, I am not impressed with the HID headlight.

It looked nice from the outside, bright and white but it was bad when driving....I had to check the headlight switch a couple times wondering if the light was on.
Going back to my Camry after the test drive, I was like OMG, my Camry has better headlight, seriously.

Current owners, what do you think about the HID on your LS?
As others have said, there must be something wrong with that particular car. Even the '01 version is excellent, IME.
Old 01-25-10, 11:39 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't the 01 models come with reflectors?
Old 01-25-10, 11:59 AM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaydee
Don't the 01 models come with reflectors?
Yes they do. Fellas, the 01 LS do not have the projectors you are referring to and the cut off is somewhat different. I think that the bulbs in that car are starting to deteriorate and give off a nasty orange appearance that some HID systems do when they get old.
Old 01-25-10, 12:34 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

About the only thing I don't like on my LS is the lights, the HID light in 06 LS are OK - but don't kid yourselves, there are lots better lighst available. For example, the LS lights are nowhere near as good as the ones I had on my 1999 RL. The HID on the RL were world class good lights. I did not realize how good the HID were on the RL until I got the LS and was significantly disappointed.

IN the LS the HID do cast a wide beam in case you want to see whats at your extreme left or right, but I would prefer better lighting upfront ahead of me. The beam cut off with the LS is too harsh. It also does not provide light for approaching street signs on dark roads. In addition the auto adjust lights are bouncing up and down trying to adjust and with the cutoff being so harsh its just lame and distracting at best. btw- I had my lights dealer adjusted per Lexus specs and they are still disappointing. Just my .02 worth.
Old 01-25-10, 12:40 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

LOL I guess I just have good eyesight at night. I've had the 2 LS, the GX, BMW Bi-Xenon, MB Xenon, Audi whatever it's called, and I don't notice $.10 worth of difference between any of those and the original headlights in my '95 Supra. I can see perfectly well with any of them.

Now, several of the domestics have some $uck-a$$ headlights.
Old 01-25-10, 12:50 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

I6turbo - sounds like you have better experience then me with a wider range of HID cars. Maybe something is slightly messed up with my lights - I'll have Lexus check them again at the next service.
Old 01-25-10, 01:06 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I6turbo - sounds like you have better experience then me with a wider range of HID cars. Maybe something is slightly messed up with my lights - I'll have Lexus check them again at the next service.
Possibly, but I'm more inclined to believe that I just don't see the differences that many other people see. I have local friends who are often talking about how great this or that headlight is, or how they have "upgraded" their headlights, then I drive the car in question (theirs, or some particular car in the market), and I can only detect maybe a very minor differences if I pay close attention. I can see significant differences in some of the high beams, but not really with the low beams on the cars I mentioned above (high beams aren't an issue anyway, IMO). My eye doctor told me a couple months ago that I have 20/15 vision, but I wish my up close vision (reading) was better -- don't like to wear reading glasses to see print well!
Old 01-25-10, 02:30 PM
intermec
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
About the only thing I don't like on my LS is the lights, the HID light in 06 LS are OK - but don't kid yourselves, there are lots better lighst available. For example, the LS lights are nowhere near as good as the ones I had on my 1999 RL. The HID on the RL were world class good lights. I did not realize how good the HID were on the RL until I got the LS and was significantly disappointed.

IN the LS the HID do cast a wide beam in case you want to see whats at your extreme left or right, but I would prefer better lighting upfront ahead of me. The beam cut off with the LS is too harsh. It also does not provide light for approaching street signs on dark roads. In addition the auto adjust lights are bouncing up and down trying to adjust and with the cutoff being so harsh its just lame and distracting at best. btw- I had my lights dealer adjusted per Lexus specs and they are still disappointing. Just my .02 worth.
I agreed Acura seems to have better HID compared to the LS I just tested
I drove my friend's TL and it is much better (at least I didn't have to check the headlight switch)
It's possible something is not right with the LS I tested. Probably test some others to see how it goes

thanks guys
Old 01-25-10, 02:56 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 155 Posts

My 2002 LS has reflector HIDs similar to or the same as the 2001 LS. I think my lights are awesome, they light up everything in front of me very well. If I recall correctly, they are 4300k. High-beams on the highway are quite bright and wide, in my opinion.

I believe the projector HIDs were fitted in 2004+ models.

Quick Reply: future buyer, not impressed with HID :(