LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

About to leave 430 for the 460

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-10, 07:35 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bonafyd
I agree with the rest i'm keeping my 430 & maybe down the road when the chance presents itself i'm looking to sore the 2010 460.
I feel the same way, however I have test driven two 460's and was not I must have it now. Hell I even did the park it yourself thing, and i was thinking by the time the car did it, I could have done it faster. Any way the 460 does not give me that feeling I had for yrs when I would see a 04-06 on the street, wishing, wanting and leaving me saying one of these days I will own one. I do like the 460's 2010 refresh, I hope there are no bugs or issues with I believe to be the last of that body style before a complete new LS arrives.
Old 01-28-10, 07:41 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I think one of the attributes of a great car is that you can drive it for years and never even think about wanting to replace it. You just don't see a new vehicle that makes you envious and have a desire to get it.
Very good point, and that's how it works for me too. I am very content with all three vehicles that I have at this time. I routinely test-drive others and have done so for 30 years or so, but for my purposes and for what gives me enjoyment from a vehicle (it varies according to the type of vehicle), there is currently nothing else in those categories that I'd rather have as far as I am aware. I've been in an LS since '05, the GX since '06, and the Supra since '99. All of the above has to be gauged against a price point for the vehicle, I suppose, and I'd consider $50K about the max that I'd be willing to spend on a vehicle that I REALLY liked.

Last edited by I6turbo; 01-28-10 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-28-10, 09:35 AM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee
Any way the 460 does not give me that feeling I had for yrs when I would see a 04-06 on the street, wishing, wanting and leaving me saying one of these days I will own one.
I feel that way too. For me I believe this has something to do with getting older. Although I'm not old I can't think of a new car that excites me,,,maybe that is a good thing. I like my LS430 a lot, but it's just a means of sensible transportation for me. I can get excited about older cars both foreign or domestic.
Old 01-28-10, 12:13 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I think that we do have a emotional connection with cars as someone said earlier. For males atleast. The 430 captured that stately, conservative, mature look that we(guys between 30-55) grew attached to. The 90's thru early 2000"s S class and 7 series were,IMO, the best of there designs and the LS improved on that in a way that will forever be timeless. Two generations behind and this car still looks fresh and competitive imo. The 460 on the other hand appeals to a different gen i think. When that 18-25 looks back in 10 years he may say the same about the current LS because that car will the stately, mature LS in his eyes and ours will be classics to him. Im attached to my 430 because the design represents an emotional era for me that the 460 cant seem to do. Although it probably is better than the 430 and a hell of an automobile, there is different feel between the two thats somewhat odd being as tho is the same named car. Just my two cents!
Old 01-28-10, 12:21 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

40 years from now, at cars shows and vintage auctions, which model will be held in more esteem? - a similarly optioned LS430 or a LS 460? My money is on the LS430, it will be viewed and valued as a classic.
Old 01-28-10, 12:51 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ ^ ^ but you could say the same for the equivalent s class mercedes (the one that the ls looks so similar to) couldn't you?
Old 01-28-10, 12:59 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
^ ^ ^ but you could say the same for the equivalent s class mercedes (the one that the ls looks so similar to) couldn't you?
Yes you could! In MercedesLand the design of that series and the series before will hold its own when they hold a best S-class design competition one day. As for Lexus, the original 400 and the 430(both series) will definately be amongst the top 15years from now.
Old 01-28-10, 01:36 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
40 years from now, at cars shows and vintage auctions, which model will be held in more esteem? - a similarly optioned LS430 or a LS 460? My money is on the LS430, it will be viewed and valued as a classic.
Lexus is still a young brand. The first generation LS is just now getting old enough that I can appreciate it in that special way we are trying to describe. In time I wonder if I will have the same affection for a forty year old LS that I now have for a forty year old premium luxury car of other brands?
Old 01-28-10, 01:44 PM
Jabberwock

I don't have the answers any more than anyone else on future classics. I know that the lines and style on the LS scream classic to me and the quality is unsurpassed for a factory built car.

I was lucky enough to own a 1970 Dodge Challenger (purchased used in 1972) as my first car as a young man and I wish I had kept that car, as it would be worth about 35 times what I sold it for back in 1975.
Old 01-28-10, 01:46 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Our family having both I will say this:

2006 LS430 ML: Softer ride and feels like its on air. The car literally floats. My parents LOVE this quality about the car, but I don't feel that I have much feel of the road. Mind you I enjoy driving this car dearly, but in this regard I prefer the 460. The 430 Car is quieter in every-way, no windnoise, no engine noise...honestly nothing compared to our 460 which is also close to nothing--but not as pin-drop silent.
Exterior: I love the fatness this car has. Its just so beefy looking yet so refined. I really love the look. It exudes "baller" and I feel like a gangster everytime I drive this car. The only car that resembles it especially if you were to look at the rear quarter is the Bentley Arnage. I seriously think this car is a more practical Arnage. Lookwise I like both for their particular purposes...
Interior: The interior is a bit outdated for my taste. Particularly some of the buttons and the layout. We have Nav which tends to make things a bit more modern, but I really HATE the look of everything under the Nav unit. Its just a random cluster of buttons and pop out consoles. This area looks really 1980s too me and they could have done more here or just organized it (?). The seats also appear to be wider and without a doubt the front seats are a lot softer. This is a cozy car and you feel like you float in it with every sense with the feel of this car.

2007 LS460 SWB / Nav / Self Park...etc:
-Drive: Quicker and more maneuverable--feels very BMW-esque. Car has some noise issues randomly--I'm told thats normal with direct injection (?). I get more feel of the road in this car and feel I have more control as it is stiffer than the 430. The car is very smooth and you can like the 430 barely feel the car shifting.
-Exterior: Whereas the 430 resembles a Bentley and rocks the I'm made to cruise in look, the 460 has more of a BMW 7-series lets drive look and feel. The car is way more streamlined and seems more cut and carved out. It has been criticized for resembling the ES350 and I'm not going to lie they do have similarities, but the LS460 looks worlds apart if you've seen both cars side by side or are familiar with the two. I can't tell you which is better in terms of look because its what you prefer. I do like the sportier and more refreshing look of the 460, but I also have great respect for the solidness of the 430.
-Interior: the interior is hands-down MUCH better. Its more up to date in terms of not only the look, but the feel of all the buttons and even lay out. The way all the buttons are spread out seems more ergonomic as well and you automatically know which buttons to press. Its more intuitive. The seats in the front seem a bit more sportier in keeping with the rest of the car. They are a lot harder and not as plush. Mind you, they are still very comfortable. I'm not going to talk about tech as the 460 is the 430 and then some, hell the cars parks itself (may not be the quickest thing, but everyone LOVES it).

All in all, both of these cars IMO are VERY different. Whereas I can see a lot of the LS400 in the 430, I feel the 460 is a completely different beast. I'll keep updating you regarding these cars in the long-term. Both cars feel very solid and we intend on keeping these cars for years to come. From what I've read thus far we can only hope that the 460 surpasses the legend that is the 430 in terms of reliability and longevity. This we shall see. I hope this helps anyone deciding between those two cars...its a win / win situation.
Old 01-28-10, 02:12 PM
Jabberwock

IStoSC - hats off to you my friend - you have some really fine cars there. If I my 3 car garage was just a couple of feet wider and bigger, we'd add a nice used SC430 to our stable in a heartbeat. Unfortunately my house has one of the world's smallest 3 car garage so my workbench, tools and 3 bicycles completely consumes the supposed 3rd car slot. Thanks for keeping us up to date on the 430 vs 460 experience
Old 01-28-10, 03:08 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

IStoSC... i'm not exactly in the market for a 460 at this exact moment but you know its always on the front of my mind,, i must say that this is a great review and comparo between the two... i have often tried to put my finger on the comparo myself and couldn't quite do it but i think you nailed it when you said "All in all, both of these cars IMO are VERY different. Whereas I can see a lot of the LS400 in the 430, I feel the 460 is a completely different beast." i have to keep reminding myself this when i try to look at one from the angle of upgrading... seems to me that the 430 is closer to a jag (well until those brand new sporty jags) and a 460 is closer to a bmw or infiniti.

its like looking at a piece of modern art (460) compared to a piece of hmmmm,, well again it seems like i'm stuck for a great analogy. in my opinion the 460 is closer to a really big M in the way that infiniti went from Q to M... I sure miss the Q and I really hope that lex doesn't try to follow suit and just give us a gs and a bigger gs (2012 LS) like infiniti with the g and m.

nice review..
Old 01-28-10, 03:27 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by IStoSC
... 2006 LS430 ML:
... Exterior: It exudes "baller" and I feel like a gangster everytime I drive this car. ...
LOL Not exactly a selling point for us old farts.
Old 01-28-10, 04:26 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

^haha, but honestly it does...you get respect...
Old 01-28-10, 05:36 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

i gets madd street cred and props on my baller status every times i be rollin' down the boulevard.. ahem I mean I mostly get waves and hellos from my late middle aged retired elderly neighbors when I am cruising down the lane.

Quick Reply: About to leave 430 for the 460