Search this Thread

Old 01-30-10, 01:37 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Love...

Originally Posted by airahcaz
Tough to buy an 01-03 and not continually want the 04+
Love, it's so strange. Never settle for "2nd best" because you'll always wonder how better it would be with the other. If you get the '01-'03, you'll always want...

1. the 6-speed
2. the LED tail lights
3. AFS
4. 4th Gen NAV (not really) with backup camera (really)

If you can afford say an '04, then go for it.
Old 01-30-10, 03:07 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

I agree if you can stretch a bit - maybe wait a little longer till 04's come down in price - or take a couple more months time to save the extra $ so you can get the 04+.

Wait a little longer and go for what you want. Life is too long to not be having fun. This is a big $ car that you may drive for years and so get what you really want so it can make you happy every time you drive it.

Every single time I get in my car I appreciate it and feel good about waiting and getting what I really wanted with no compromises.

Notice I said don't go into more debt for any car or added trim level - that is never, ever a good idea. Some debt is OK for appreciating assets like a home (ignoring current weird economic conditions), but never for a depreciating asset like a car.
Old 01-30-10, 03:30 PM
airahcaz
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I agree if you can stretch a bit - maybe wait a little longer till 04's come down in price - or take a couple more months time to save the extra $ so you can get the 04+.

Wait a little longer and go for what you want. Life is too long to not be having fun. This is a big $ car that you may drive for years and so get what you really want so it can make you happy every time you drive it.

Every single time I get in my car I appreciate it and feel good about waiting and getting what I really wanted with no compromises.

Notice I said don't go into more debt for any car or added trim level - that is never, ever a good idea. Some debt is OK for appreciating assets like a home (ignoring current weird economic conditions), but never for a depreciating asset like a car.
Economically makes sense to wait, cause then one would be looking to spend even more $ to trade the 01 for the 04 - and YES, keep the car for a decade. I have a 98 GS that I bought CPO in 01.
Old 01-30-10, 07:20 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

As for the topic about selling a car with known defects and saying "sold as is" I don't agree, respectfully! WHY? Its simple we all want to get fair deals. Fair means to ME, if i buy a home and the foundation is ruined, let me know. Now can a home or car and other valuables be sold "as is"? YES! Its about as one fellow member said earlier, Integrity! We are a reflection of what we 1st think, 2nd do, and 3rd say! If you want to know what type of HUMAN you are, look no further than what you do to others!

Karma isnt the word I'd use. The word I'd use is HUMAN. Most laws were made to protect those seeking to do wrong(hardcore business) and they involved themselves in government to implement these ideals or laws so they can legally via changing or making the laws.

Laws dont mean there morally right such as innocent until proven guilty. What laws mean are subject to who makes the rules/laws only. The "sold as is" law was made to protect some guy/gal who sold cars and they wanted protection to sell questionable items and got it. Theres no way selling a car with a cracked radiator should be seen as good business. As for the word business that word means to me "legally able to screw the consumer, private or retail"! That said its about the integrity of those we buy from. Some on this site though I respect you as humans I'd never buy from. While others I'd run to give you my biz. Most consumers know its about making money if its private or retail. They just want to be treated as those selling to them would like. Tell you what.

Who umong us would be cool with anyone doing a sell of a car to our mom or child "as is" when they knew it had serious issues? Food for thought. Thats why I must be honest because I wouldnt want that to happen to my parents nor child. Yes, people will treat me wrong but, Im judged on how I treat others, not how they treat me!!!

As for the S430 and LS 430 issue. Its best to private sell it and be patient because the reason this issue is facing the potential buyer and those wishing to rid of the S430 is lack of patience and seeing the Mercedes as better because of name. This time buy with patience and WISDOM. Wisdom has more value than smarts!!! Buy WISE and be patient my friend!!! L.G.N.M

Last edited by usermel; 01-30-10 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-30-10, 07:34 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

2001 LS430 can be as low as $8,000 private with Navigation and Mark in Floridawith 90,000 miles or more or as high as $15,000 with same features and Ultra models can be a bit more. If I was buying now I'd opt for a 2003 or 2004/2005!!! If your going to get another ride why not a newer model with less miles. Will cost a bit more but, my LS has saved me money in my opinion. Less issues mean no extra cost to fix problems etc.! The older the more chances are you have or will have issues no matter how reliable a car company is!

May cost $3,000-$5,000 more but can be worth it if you buy private sell LS 430 and sell your private. These day folks are looking at Craigslist and many other websites for deals because dealerships are just much higher and folks need food and shelter and are looking to save a few bucks!! Good luck on finding the LS430 and seling th S430 and tell your elder family member to be patient the right deal always feels right, not unsure!!! L.G.N.M
Old 01-30-10, 10:40 PM
airahcaz
Instructor

why even look at on 03 then, and not 04+?
Old 01-30-10, 10:56 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Well!!!

why even look at on 03 then, and not 04+?
Its just a suggestion. Its not the year YOU decide is best that matters. Its what you want that matters so I gave you different choices. If you want the 2003 LS430 get that. If you want 2004 LS430+ get that!!! Its a matter of comfort for YOU my friend as the buyer.

Hope you guys find the car you like buddy! L.G.N.M
Old 02-01-10, 05:42 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would focus on 04-05. Skip pre face lift. The post face lift just plain looks better, and they improved several things on it (listed way up above).
Old 02-01-10, 06:14 PM
airahcaz
Instructor

Originally Posted by miniz
I would focus on 04-05. Skip pre face lift. The post face lift just plain looks better, and they improved several things on it (listed way up above).
tending to agree with you, other then front and tail lights in the exterior though, what else?
Old 02-01-10, 08:31 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

tending to agree with you, other then front and tail lights in the exterior though, what else?
New Transmission, new Nav, new backup camera, active projector headlamps, LED tail lamps, new wheels. Parking sensors become more common.
Old 02-03-10, 06:50 PM
airahcaz
Instructor

Originally Posted by miniz
New Transmission, new Nav, new backup camera, active projector headlamps, LED tail lamps, new wheels. Parking sensors become more common.
Um, are there noticeable differences between the 5 and 6 speed?
Old 02-03-10, 07:31 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that sucks that he traded something reliable for a non-resale holding problem prone german car...... but i wish the japanese people would use their leather, i see 20 year old german cars all the time and the leather isnt even torn, wish our cars were like that... good luck and 04 up like they all said if your going to have to come out of pocket any make sure its worth it and dont let your dad have any regrets
Old 02-03-10, 07:52 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Um, are there noticeable differences between the 5 and 6 speed?
For ME, the transmission is perhaps the most compelling reason to pay up for the '04+ model. That said, some people -- people who are NOT interested in a performance/sporting feel at all -- probably wouldn't make $.10 worth of difference in them.

If you're interested, post #7 in this thead lays out my perception of the differences in some detail: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ce-please.html