LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Dealer change oil for $66.00 plus tax, Good price?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-10, 12:48 PM
lovelexus2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer change oil for $66.00 plus tax, Good price?

my 02 LS430 is about to change oil, called Grapevine Park and place Lexus dealer, the girl who answer the phone told me oil change is $66.00 plus tax, it is my first time changing oil at dealership. is that a good price for changing oil at dealer? and is there anything else I should ask ?
thanks
Old 02-01-10, 12:55 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Its a decent price at a Lexus dealer, I have heard many charge more. Is that for synthetic or regular dyno oil?

You can call around to the DFW Lexus dealers and check prices for a regular oil change - they do vary. I have also heard of folks having the oil change done at a Toyota dealer - that can be much cheaper. My daughter used to get her 4runner oil change in Georgia at the Toyota dealer for $19.95.
Old 02-01-10, 12:56 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 155 Posts

Sounds like a decent price for dealer service. My 72000km Lubrication Service was $80 or $90 CAD before tax for 5W-20.

You should ask if they are going to do the Lubrication Service, ie. locks/latches/hinges (which includes sunroof rails, fuel door hinge, trunk strut ball joints, etc), or if it is purely an oil change and nothing else.

Your 02 LS430 takes 5W-30 per OEM spec, but for better fuel efficiency and for cold winter starting, they may use 5W-20. Ask them about it.

See thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-question.html
Old 02-01-10, 01:13 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that is reasonable for dealership prices but i usually try to find a mom and pop shop to do it for like $25
Old 02-01-10, 01:38 PM
honeygee2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My local lexus dealer has coupon specials on their website for 39.95 for oil changes. I didnt find any coupons on your dealers site but you might try other dealers in your area. If not i would not pay 66 bucks for an oil change. As mentioned above go to your local toyota dealer and have them do it for 25 bucks or cheaper. If your car is in the lexus data base you can add it in yourself online.

http://www.lexusoffortmyers.com/View...ecials_service

my local dealer..great people.
Old 02-01-10, 03:17 PM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

$80 is the normal price at the Lexus Dealers here. However, I got an email coupon from them for $21.95 oil change and used it.

Last edited by airtime; 02-01-10 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-01-10, 03:21 PM
snakehead
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

jiffy lube and etc.. just makes sure they get that filter tight , my other car the filter was to lose and i lost many quarts of oil.
Old 02-01-10, 05:45 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

No perfect answer to this question

For me, I prefer paying the $60-$70 for Mobil 1 and driving their Lexus loaner for the day while it's being done.
Old 02-01-10, 07:06 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

My Lexus dealer charges $48 out the door for my oil changes, I ain't mad at them at all for that price.
Old 02-01-10, 08:25 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

I suggest you do not take your Lexus any where near a jiffyxxxx or quikxxx or NTB type places. Unfortunately these companies hire only min wage people often with minimal if any automotive knowledge or skills. he pay crap wages so they have extremely high turnover and get only the weakest type of employees.

Allowing unskilled minimum wage labor to work on your car is very dangerous to your car and to your financial health. Some of these places might be fine if you know them and insist on a certain skilled worker to service your car. There have been lots of people who have had multiple problems with their cars after a visit to a cheap "quicky" place. There are many problems with unskilled labor cross threading and/or stripping drain bolts and filters - these are very expensive problems to repair. Also problems when mr. junior mechanic my 3rd day on the job attempts to "top off" or fill the various fluid reservoirs with their "auto fluid" dispenser in your engine bay without actually knowing what reservoir they are filling or what specific fluid to use for each - so problems include transmission or radiator fluid in the brake master cylinder reservoir, windshield washer fluid in the radiator expansion tank, etc,etc. Some of these mistakes are minor others might be very serious.

I was in a brake shop once when a women came in with her Honda Accord with severe brake problems - caused by a completely ruined master cylinder and brake system (including the ABS) from a quiky place fluid contamination mistake. I forgot what fluid they had put in her brake reservoir but it wasn't brake fluid - whatever it was had corroded/rusted parts and seals.

Even if the jiffy places and NTB did oil change for free I would not let them touch my LS.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 02-01-10 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-01-10, 11:11 PM
shpatel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pay $29.99 plus tax at Putnam Lexus near San Francisco. All the other dealers in my area want $80+ for a dyno oil change. Of course the $29.99 price if for dyno.
Old 02-01-10, 11:17 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It must be a regional thing because the last time I got just an oil change before I went on a road trip to N.Y. City it was $52 after taxes at the dealership! L.G.N.M
Old 02-01-10, 11:23 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jabberwock makes a great point! Thats why when you buy luxury cars your income is so important because you need to be able to pay for serive items and labor to maintain your car. I always say to myself "if you can afford the payments or to buy it in cash, doesnt mean you can afford to take care of it"!

Dont go to any place that doesnt specialize in Toyota or Lexus vehicles. You dont have t go to Lexus but, the extra money spent on the right thing saves money long term. Its like a man trying to fix his plumbing and he makes it worse to save $250 bucks. He spends $150 to do it himself and makes it worse, not he has to get repaired what he messed up and what he already needed repaired! L.G.N.M
Old 02-02-10, 08:27 AM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

A cheaper alternative is to go to a Toyota Dealer and get the oil change. They have the filters there and the cost is usually 1/2 of what Lexus charge. You just don't get the fancy lobby, free latte or sometime a car wash/vacuum.
Old 02-02-10, 08:44 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 155 Posts

The problem with Toyota dealers is that some will refuse to work on a Lexus. They are likely in collusion with nearby Lexus dealerships.

But I agree, you should definitely contact your nearest Toyota dealerships if you only need the Lubrication Service (oil change + locks/latches/hinges). In my experience, the labor rate is much cheaper, you don't need an appointment, and you get your car back in 30 minutes.

They would use the exact same oil and filters as the Lexus dealership. Note that you probably won't be able to get the 90915-20004 oil filter unless you purchase it online (ie. Carson Toyota).

I did the 80000km Maintenance Service at my local Lexus dealership the other day and they had no problem with using the oil filter I supplied.

Quick Reply: Dealer change oil for $66.00 plus tax, Good price?