LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How much brake pedal travel before stopping?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-10, 11:24 PM
adams430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much brake pedal travel before stopping?

Hey all,

So the only aspect of controlling my LS430 that bothers me at all is the brake pedal engagement. It feels like the pedal needs to travel about 2 inches before I feel any noticeable braking power. If I slam on the pedal to engage the active brake enhancement, it engages higher up.

Once the brakes engage (whether 2 inches down when I push slowly or higher up when I push quickly) they modulate very well and provide progressive, strong stopping power.

Is it normal for the brakes to feel like this? Everyone seems to say that the brakes are soft on a Lexus. I don't think there's a problem with the master cylinder or the brake booster - the brakes are firm once they engage and they can stop the car plenty fast. The rotors aren't warped and the brakes are silent and smooth. I don't think there is air in the lines.

I just wish that the pedal engaged higher up. Is this a common problem, and are there any solutions? I can live with it and get used to it, but when I drive our prius it takes me a minute or two before I get used to the quick pedal engagement again.

Thanks!
Old 02-09-10, 05:34 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

I have not noticed any excessive brake pedal travel before brakes engage. My pedal engages the brakes almost at once I'd say. The brake system is hydraulic so under ideal conditions it acts like a solid linkage between pedal and brake pad.

First I'd first check the shims and brake pads - make sure they are correct parts and installed correctly, then check pads for excessive wear - that can cause more pedal travel.

Then I'd have the brake fluid flushed and see if that corrects the problem. If the fluid is brand new just get the brakes bled.

Then check for problem with master cylinder vacuum or seals.
Old 02-09-10, 07:32 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was thinking along the cheapest and most likely culprit, the brake pads. mine engages very quickly and when i go from other vehicles or let others drive my ls the powerful and responsive braking is usually one of the first thing noticed or mentioned...
Old 02-09-10, 08:00 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
the powerful and responsive braking is usually one of the first thing noticed or mentioned...
Everyone comments on the breaking power, or they are surprised the LS430 isn't a V6. The brakes are soft to operate, but I never have an issue of getting them to engage... Almost immediately they engage on mine, so I would also check pads and brake fluid.
Old 02-09-10, 09:32 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

not sure about the v6 thing i just never thought of it like that but yesterday one of my neighbors was talking about it being fwd and i kept telling him that it was rwd,, he was like are you sure, i said yes i am sure, and he was comparing it to his fwd camry i said well mine isnt fwd its rwd... he seemed confused.
Old 02-09-10, 09:41 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The brakes have electronic brake assist, which means when the pedal is jammed on, the system detects the quicker pressing and electronically applies more pressure to the system. What I don't know for sure, is if there is an actual mechanical connection between pedal and system, or if it's all electronic.

This is why when you apply normally, it feels a little soft, but when you have to jam on it, it feels "stronger."
Old 02-09-10, 11:46 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

not sure about the v6 thing i just never thought of it like that but yesterday one of my neighbors was talking about it being fwd and i kept telling him that it was rwd,, he was like are you sure, i said yes i am sure, and he was comparing it to his fwd camry i said well mine isnt fwd its rwd... he seemed confused.
Your neighbor is clueless about cars
Old 02-09-10, 01:31 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BNR34
Your neighbor is clueless about cars
most of them yeshhh.

but my brakes in my ls feel good, responsive, and strong. not so much pedal mushyness at all but i hear that mushy-ness can be fixed by upgrading to steel brake lines...
Old 02-09-10, 02:27 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=adams430;5211762]Hey all,

So the only aspect of controlling my LS430 that bothers me at all is the brake pedal engagement. It feels like the pedal needs to travel about 2 inches before I feel any noticeable braking power. If I slam on the pedal to engage the active brake enhancement, it engages higher up.

Once the brakes engage (whether 2 inches down when I push slowly or higher up when I push quickly) they modulate very well and provide progressive, strong stopping power.

Is it normal for the brakes to feel like this? Everyone seems to say that the brakes are soft on a Lexus. I don't think there's a problem with the master cylinder or the brake booster - the brakes are firm once they engage and they can stop the car plenty fast. The rotors aren't warped and the brakes are silent and smooth. I don't think there is air in the lines.

I just wish that the pedal engaged higher up. Is this a common problem, and are there any solutions? I can live with it and get used to it, but when I drive our prius it takes me a minute or two before I get used to the quick pedal engagement again.

Thanks![/QUOTE

I agree. I know what you are talking about. I also feel like I need to press a little too far to get the brakes to engage, but they are indeed plenty strong and smooth. The brakes do feel a little soft, especially comared to the IS I had for a while. The brakes were night and day. I would assume that my CPO's brakes would be in tip top shape at the time of selling 2 months ago.
Old 02-09-10, 06:56 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

One easy way to tell a RWD w/o getting under the car or jacking it up is the engine block is aligned fore-aft so there is a V-cylinder bank on the right side and left side (or if it's an inline engine, the cylinders all line up front to back). The exhaust manifolds exiting the banks should be visible and disappear under the bottom of the firewall. The transmission is also under the car where the shifter is. On a FWD the engine will be oriented sideways and transmission is virtually under the engine. A lot of people think any lexus is just a Camry. Even the ES350, which shares a lot of Camry parts, doesn't feel like a camry (braking, steering is much better than on the Camry). I borrow my mother's Camry everytime I visit and it drives like sh$% in comparison to even an ES.

The brakes on the LS use a traditional vacuum booster rather than the electronic brake booster on the LX/GX. On the electronic booster, if the pump fails, you basically lose all braking to the rear wheels and have half braking pressure on the front, so you have to stomp on the brakes in any hopes of stopping a 3-ton vehicle.
Old 02-09-10, 07:27 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 155 Posts

The brakes on my LS are smooth to apply. I had a new IS250 dealership loaner car the other day and the brakes were very touchy - way more sensitive than I'm used to and therefore hard to smoothly slow down the car. I've test driven a few low-end Mercedes in the past and their brakes were very touchy as well.

I think the LS was designed to have soft brakes. Seems to complement the Electronically Controlled Throttle (ECT) which smooths throttle response and acceleration when in Normal mode. I much prefer the feel of the LS brakes over the IS brakes.
Old 02-09-10, 09:42 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

most of them yeshhh.

but my brakes in my ls feel good, responsive, and strong. not so much pedal mushyness at all but i hear that mushy-ness can be fixed by upgrading to steel brake lines...
Steel braided lines helps a little, not a whole lot. I had them in all my previous sports cars.

I love the brake feels in my LS430 also. Soft enough to be comfy for a luxury car, but very strong when you step on it. It is painful if you slam on it, the suspension is so soft and the 4 pistons brakes are so strong, it makes me sick.
Old 02-09-10, 10:32 PM
adams430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After playing with it a lot, I think there's actually some air in the brake lines. With the car off and the brake booster empty, if I push the brakes softly they have that extra inch+ of play that bothers me. If I pump them rapidly it doesn't. The dealer should have changed the brake fluid in the 90k service they performed right before I bought the car - I'm taking it by tomorrow to see if I can get them to fix it. I'll be pretty pissed if they won't stand behind their own work.
Old 02-10-10, 10:07 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

let us know what your findings are! Good luck!
Old 02-12-10, 06:33 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

So how did it go at the dealer?

Quick Reply: How much brake pedal travel before stopping?