LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

White or Yellow fogs

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-10, 08:59 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 155 Posts

"Selective yellow light can improve a driver's ability to see in fog or rain or snow, but not because it 'penetrates fog better' or 'reflects less off droplets' as is commonly thought... It's because of the way the human eye interacts with different colors of light. Blue and violet are very difficult for the human optical system to process correctly. They are the shortest visible wavelengths and tend to focus in front of our eyes' retinae, rather than upon it... Blue also is a very difficult color of light to look at; it stimulates the reaction we call glare. Within the range of allowable white light, bluer headlamps have been shown to be 46% more glaring than yellower ones for a given intensity of light — see studies http://hdl.handle.net/2027.42/49444 and http://ntlsearch.bts.gov/tris/record/tris/00640036.html... So, it seems culling the blue out of the spectrum lightens the optical workload and reduces glare."

-- http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ght_color.html

"Although the results of the present study are consistent with recommendations for using yellow lamps for perturbed atmospheres, the difference in s/p ratio between conventional tungsten-halogen lamps and yellow-filtered lamps is small, and therefore suggests that yellow-tinted headlamps would have only a small impact on performance or on subjective ratings."

-- Bullough, John; Mark S. Rea (2001). "Driving in Snow: Effect of Headlamp Color at Mesopic and Photopic Light Levels" (PDF). SAE Technical Paper Series. http://www.lightingresearch.org/prog...01-01-0320.pdf
Old 02-10-10, 10:20 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Yellow

Originally Posted by StanVanDam
"Selective yellow light can improve a driver's ability to see in fog or rain or snow, but not because it 'penetrates fog better' or 'reflects less off droplets' as is commonly thought... It's because of the way the human eye interacts with different colors of light. Blue and violet are very difficult... and therefore suggests that yellow-tinted headlamps would have only a small impact on performance or on subjective ratings."

-- Bullough, John; Mark S. Rea (2001). "Driving in Snow: Effect of Headlamp Color at Mesopic and Photopic Light Levels" (PDF). SAE Technical Paper Series. http://www.lightingresearch.org/prog...01-01-0320.pdf
I have experience with both, and yellow does cast a "softer" glare you could call it and so you're able to see the road markers a little better. With white, it created a bright white almost haze of sorts, and although it's lit, it's not as clear.

My opinion on white was because the slight "benefits" of yellow do not outweigh for me the over color contrast and old school look of yellow.
Old 02-10-10, 07:21 PM
Gil Smash
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, well it would be way easier to stay halogen then get an HID conversion. Is there a specific light you guys would recommend for a good bright yellow?
Old 02-10-10, 09:10 PM
stock_sc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if u dont mind getting ur hands abit more dirty i would say just getting a hidkit. its worth it right now. i believe one of our sponsors is having a sale on hid kits for $57 with a 2 year warranty. i bought nokya bulbs and i think i spent somewhere around $35 last year. one of them blew out already.. i had it for 6 months. so for $20 more dollars i have a piece of mind that i know the hid kit will work for at least 2 years and more light output. to get that bright yellow its 3000K..
Old 02-10-10, 10:17 PM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hid fogs will make a huge difference. I like the 6000k color myself. My father and I both got 6000k Volt hid kits from Xenon depot for both of our 99 LS400's and matched them with 6000k low beam bulbs to replace the 10 year old stock bulbs. My father got his bulbs and kit installed a few weeks before me and I pulled along side of him on the freeway the night he got them installed and the new lighting setup totally drowned out the stock setup. You can literally see reflectors for miles on a long stretch of highway. For all those not considering hid fogs, do yourself a favor and check out someone in your area with them. You will not regret it. By the way, nobody ever hits their hi beams on me when I drive.
Old 02-12-10, 01:07 AM
davvv
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

YElllloowww looks away nicer. I have yellow on my 02 and people know im coming from two blocks away. It actually helps during the fog a lot. I go down to malibu a lot and at night there is always fog summer or winter so i got the hids from ddmtuning.com for 35 bucks and to be honest there better than the ones i had on my civic that i paid 120 bucks for. so just go yellow hids and there cheaper than most of the good halogen bulbs. if you search ddmtuning there is a thread on here about them