LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

BMW nightmares = switch to Lexus? Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-10, 07:50 AM
freeindeed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, thanks for all the responses! You all have been very helpful. I understand that I'm on a Lexus forum, but the posted research is not from this form. It's as unbiased as you get.

It is true, I bought the 5 series for its unique blend of performance and luxury; however, there are days when I wish it drove softer and was more quiet. My wife hates how firm it rides and how hard the seats feel after an hour in them. She absolutely loves driving her best friend's LS400 on the other hand, and I do too. I thought it was a blast, actually. I love how it glides, and the acceleration is amazing. Those characteristics in and of themselves are really fun (at least to me).

Its not like I'm an aggressive driver who slides sideways around every corner (like my friend who drives an M3). I'm a little spirited at times, but mostly I like a serene drive. And I agree with Jabberwock with regards to maintenance costs. I don't mind expensive oil changes (that's just the nature of synthetic oil), and I don't mind paying a premium for a Lexus dealer's expertise in doing a 100K mile "tuneup" on a car of this magnitude. What I DO mind though is spending $5,000 to replace all the seals and gaskets on a V8 at 50K miles so that it won't leak oil in my driveway. That is ridiculous, especially when a simple Chevy Cavalier (my first car, that I drove over 10 years with no problems) would never need that kind of work.

The Bimmer guys tried to explain to me that the seals and gaskets wearing out are just the nature of a high performance engine that produces a lot of heat and blah blah. My response was that a corvette driver would laugh you out of the room, because they know better. And I know better. BMW should use higher quality rubber, and they should not use magnesium valve covers on an aluminum block engine! I'm not an engineer, but I know that such different metals heat and cool at rapidly different temperatures.

Anyways, I'm just looking for a car that is engineered by people who get the big picture--not by people who are so focused on solving one problem (like curb weight) that they create others far worse (like engines that can't hold their oil). I don't want stupid. So yeah. I hope I have found 'my car'.

I test drive one this afternoon. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks everyone!
~Chris
Old 02-16-10, 08:24 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by freeindeed
It is true, I bought the 5 series for its unique blend of performance and luxury; however, there are days when I wish it drove softer and was more quiet.
For me, the LS makes pretty much everything else seem downright crude. Even other Lexus cars. I have an appreciation of cars with performance orientations (and I have seat time in all manner of other performance cars), but for real-world use, the LS is very hard to beat. Other mid-size to large sedans are just not worth the trade-offs. I can understand someone who wanted to have a CLS63 or CTS-V or something like that, but for no more performance than there is from a car like the 550i or GS460, it's just not worth the tradeoffs, IMO.

Be sure to let us know what you think of your test drive(s).
Old 02-16-10, 08:29 AM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A year and a half ago I was deciding between Benz s500, BMW 740/750 or ls430. After reading forums and test driving all contestants ls was a clear choise. I do not regret a minute buying an ls430 - I love it. Next car will be a newer ls. Ones you go bl... Lexus you don't go back
Old 02-16-10, 10:46 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default R U stupid...

Originally Posted by freeindeed
... The Bimmer guys tried to explain to me that the seals and gaskets wearing out are just the nature of a high performance engine that produces a lot of heat and blah blah. My response was that a corvette driver would laugh you out of the room, because they know better. And I know better. BMW should use higher quality rubber, and they should not use magnesium valve covers on an aluminum block engine! I'm not an engineer, but I know that such different metals heat and cool at rapidly different temperatures...
What a turkey... and the sad thing is, he/she probably believes the crap they throws. My Integra (no M3 or Corvette), redlines at 8000 rpm and 60 mph at 3200 rpm and I've never had valve or any gasket issues. Guess the "M" in BMW M class stands for maintenance, as you'll need plenty of it.

I do wonder how these guys even tell customers things with a straight face. I mean they must be like professional Texas hold'm poker players....
Old 02-16-10, 11:32 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The term "Break My Wallet" didn't come about with no reason. The fact that non-warranty BMWs have a reputation for lots of expensive repairs probably benefits BMW in encouraging new and existing customers to buy / lease new cars rather than used ones.
Old 02-16-10, 11:35 AM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee
I owned a 3-Series once great car until she started costing me just as much or more than my then girlfriend.....somebody had to go!
So Tee, how the 3-series running now
Old 02-16-10, 11:57 AM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only issue I've had with the car thus far is the trunk switch crapped out on me for the Smartkey system. Otherwise it's been a pleasure and problem free car on top of the regular maintaince.
Old 02-16-10, 12:02 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Talking Club 860

If reliability and comfort is what your looking for, the LS will not disappoint. Honestly the BMW is more engaging to drive, but the LS just will not go down. I've been on countless online forums, you will not see a more satisfied crowed than LS430 owners.

Its only a matter of time before your garage starts looking like this:
Attached Thumbnails BMW nightmares = switch to Lexus? Need advice-image5036-large-.jpg  

Last edited by GRAND_LS 4; 02-16-10 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-16-10, 12:46 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Its only a matter of time before your garage starts looking like this:
LOL I forsee a day years in the future when a super-nice, low-mile LS430 comes up for sale and a bunch of people from this forum are all bidding on it.
Old 02-16-10, 01:42 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The LS is the Tim Duncan/Larry Bird of luxury cars. All it does is win. I owned a S-Class 430 brand new and ML 500 truck. Got rid of both!! WHY? Reliability issues 7-8 problems with the S-class and 6 problems with the ML500 all before 15,000 miles. The reason I say the LS is the Tim Duncan/Larry Bird of luxury cars is, the LS though not as flashy,looks good and is relaible and is fundamentally sound and wins year after year and very seldom makes a bad decision as far as mechanics etc.!

Year after year I ask when the issues will come. I have in age a 10 year old car. No problems other than regular wear and tear(breaks,belts,suspension replacement,filters,tires,etc.)! I'll admit Im torn for my new car I'll soon get this summer but, WHY am I? My LS has no issues and the choices are S-Class 550 and LS430(2006) or 460(2007-2008) and I know the Benz will have issues so, Its going to be an LS model I'll get.

The LS long term saves money compared to German makes! Personally a Cadillac or Lincoln would be more reliable than a German car due to lower cost for American replacement parts. If excitement is what you seek,buy German but, if luxury also means comfort and reliability get what covers the true meaning of the word,a Lexus! L.G.N.M

Last edited by usermel; 02-16-10 at 01:45 PM. Reason: many
Old 02-16-10, 02:02 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by usermel
If excitement is what you seek,buy German but, if luxury also means comfort and reliability get what covers the true meaning of the word,a Lexus! L.G.N.M
Very good point. I'm not sure how one can really call it luxury if you're always wondering when will be the next time the sunroof won't close or the check engine light will mysteriously illuminate or the ECU will have to be reflashed.... Luxury means never having to look over your shoulder for the tow truck.
Old 02-16-10, 02:03 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Check out this story potential buyer. One day back in 1998 me and a friend were in his car with another friend(3 of us). This friend I speak of owned a Bentley(excuse spelling if not correct for the name of the car) and it was brand new and we wanted to go for a ride in it with us being it was the first Bentley any of us had owned. So later that night while driving with this friend on a very,very rainy night that caused flooding we got stuck and the car broke down. Somehow it broke down.

My friend then called his brother who at the time I didnt know till I saw him had a new car. He had a GS 300 brand new. It easily drove threw the water the Bentley couldnt navigate. He picked us up after we got a special tow truck for the Bent and I said to myself in my head while my friends little brother teased him about how his Lexus was more reliable than a over $250,000 car, that cost isnt what matters nor the nameplate. What matters is quality.

The next day I went to a Lexus dealer and got me my 1st Lexus. Got my feet wet 1st with an ES300 brand new. What is my point in all this? For now 12 years since I became familiar with this brand its been the most reliable from that stormy day in 1998(even after I strayed to Benz for 2 car/trucks ML500 and S Class430) when being picked up by my friends little brother. Since that day my mind changed on judging a book by its cover when it comes to cars. Quality doesnt have to cost more nor does tradition mean reliabilty. I LOVE BENZ/BMW/JAG this is no knock on those who drive those cars because they look better and are actually more fun to drive. That said, they arent as reliable percentage wise and a WISE man makes the WISE choice.I feel every man/woman here made the Wise decision not the eyes choice!!! L.G.N.M
Old 02-16-10, 02:08 PM
stanell1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I6turbo
Very good point. I'm not sure how one can really call it luxury if you're always wondering when will be the next time the sunroof won't close or the check engine light will mysteriously illuminate or the ECU will have to be reflashed.... Luxury means never having to look over your shoulder for the tow truck.
Very well said....
Old 02-16-10, 02:10 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

I agree I6turbo, I want to get another car(LS460 mainly and S550 is right behind due to looks of the BENZ) but, what makes it hard when owning a Lexus if you do the services etc., is they are just TO RELIABLE. HAHAHAHA! I know that sounds crazy but, my car is more reliable than any people I know or anything ive owned besdies my Sony electronics,HAHHAHAHA!

Luxury should be what the Lexus is,well rounded! The Lexus is like Larry Bird was when I was a kid and Tim Duncan is. You dont realize it but, Bird won 3 rings and Tim Duncan 4. They did it so peacefully because thats what people that cause no problems do, bore you with reliabilty! The Lexus does that and we only want a new car when we own these cars(ES,GS,LS,LX,etc.) because we want lower miles. HAHAHAHAA! This car is the sensible man/womans choice and the German makes, no offense is for those who decide tradition matters more. Thats not a bad thing its choice and Im for that 1000% and support those who buy German luxury. Heck, I owned a couple Benzes myself,hahahaha! If you get the Lexus potential buyer, what you will be buying is the opposite of a headache, you'll be buying the antidote!!

L.G.N.M Usermel!!!!

Last edited by usermel; 02-16-10 at 02:17 PM. Reason: many
Old 02-16-10, 04:37 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by usermel
... I want to get another car(LS460 mainly and S550 is right behind due to looks of the BENZ).....
Yes, the '07 S550 Sport is an awesome car on the road, and is the only other luxury car that I'm really interested in owning at this time. But I'm just very concerned about the reliability and to some extent, the potential for continued massive depreciation. Were it not for those concerns, I'd probably be driving one now -- though I still might decide I'd rather have the LS after a few weeks with an S. I prefer the LS430 over the 460, so it's quite possible I'd find that I prefer it over the S....

Quick Reply: BMW nightmares = switch to Lexus? Need advice