LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Ls430l

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-10, 06:04 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ls430l

Why was there never a LS430L (long wheelbase)? I've never seen this asked or answered anywhere. Lexus was competing against Mercedes, BMW and Audi (A8L to a lesser extent) from 2001-2006. The Germans' were primarily selling long wheelbase models. Mercedes only sold one short wheelbase model in the US, the S350 for one model year only, in 2006, and they didn't sell many of them. Otherwise all S class were long from 2001-2006. Most of the BMW 7 series were long. A8's were mixed.
Was Lexus not aware of the fact that they should have offered an LS430L or were their design issues with the frame, so they could not extend it? I've always wondered this. Mercedes clearly thought that long wheelbase was the way to go (thus not even offering short for many years), and they were clearly right. They outsold the LS.
What do you think or know?
Old 02-16-10, 06:42 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lexus was late...

Originally Posted by miniz
Why was there never a LS430L (long wheelbase)? I've never seen this asked or answered anywhere. Lexus was competing against Mercedes, BMW and Audi (A8L to a lesser extent) from 2001-2006. The Germans' were primarily selling long wheelbase models. Mercedes only sold one short wheelbase model in the US, the S350 for one model year only, in 2006, and they didn't sell many of them. Otherwise all S class were long from 2001-2006. Most of the BMW 7 series were long. A8's were mixed.
Was Lexus not aware of the fact that they should have offered an LS430L or were their design issues with the frame, so they could not extend it? I've always wondered this. Mercedes clearly thought that long wheelbase was the way to go (thus not even offering short for many years), and they were clearly right. They outsold the LS.
What do you think or know?
Lexus was late, that's all there is to it. The R&D for a vehicle is one generation "behind" or "ahead" depending on how you want to see it. So, right now the LS460's successor is already designed and ready to go. Cars are not designed overnight and you can switch design or ideas with the flip of a switch. Lexus just didn't see or think or LS430 neede a "L" based vehicle.

With the LS460 they did, and so you have the LS460L, and now the 460L-AWD. What can you do? The LS430 just did not have it.
Old 02-16-10, 06:48 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I agree. Unfortunate the LS430 didnt have it but, what are we to do about it. The LS430 was to me a very good generation for the LS anyway. Lexus is still a young Luxury car company!! Only 20 years old is the Lexus brand and it will be years before they settle in to who they are as a luxury car brand. The good thing for Lexus is they finally did something about it. Its doing well and hoepfully for the brand it will continue!!! L.G.N.M

Last edited by usermel; 02-16-10 at 08:18 PM. Reason: many
Old 02-16-10, 06:49 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Oh, great topic and new and fresh idea. Hadnt thought of it until the question was asked!!! L.G.N.M
Old 02-16-10, 06:51 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

For me, the LS430 is the perfect size with plenty of front room, sufficient rear room, and a huge trunk (if you skip the UL), all in under 200" total length. I wanted to stay away from cars longer than 200" because I like having room to load my wife's wheelchair in the trunk with the garage door closed.

Also, compare the LS430 with another 197" car I considered, the Cadillac STS. The STS has plenty of front seat leg room, but lacks headroom (with sunroof) and is tighter side-to-side. The back seat in the STS has very little legroom and the trunk has only about 14 cubic ft.
Old 02-16-10, 07:32 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Lexus was late, that's all there is to it. The R&D for a vehicle is one generation "behind" or "ahead" depending on how you want to see it. So, right now the LS460's successor is already designed and ready to go. Cars are not designed overnight and you can switch design or ideas with the flip of a switch. Lexus just didn't see or think or LS430 neede a "L" based vehicle.

With the LS460 they did, and so you have the LS460L, and now the 460L-AWD. What can you do? The LS430 just did not have it.
The S class was available (and sold well) in long wheelbase since the beginning in the 1970's!!! How could Lexus R&D have been 25+/- years behind? The LS400 should have been available in LWB.

You bring up another good point. It took Lexus until 2009 to offer AWD!!! Mercedes has had 4Matic available on the S class since 2003. It took BMW until 2006 to offer xdrive on the 7 series. Audi had Quattro available from the beginning, in 1997 on the A8L.

I think Lexus made a big mistake on not offering LWB. There is clearly a market for both SWB and LWB. Looks at the sales of the LS460L.
Old 02-16-10, 07:46 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm just speculating, but perhaps they did not feel wise to stretch the LS platform. With the LS 430, the original LS platform saw its 3rd application for the Lexus flagship. It was with the 4LS that Lexus introduced an all-new LS platform, which was designed to incorporate a SWB and LWB version.
Old 02-16-10, 08:22 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

You know what. Seeing Encore888's comments I thought of something. I think as the Long wheel base is developed by Lexus it will improve and the new LS460 will become better as well. Lexus is a new company still 20 years of age so we can expect progress to happen step by step!!! I think they will get it right after getting used to being in the long wheel base segment and perfect it as much as they can. L.G.N.M
Old 02-17-10, 01:43 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

LOL Lexus has come further, faster than any other luxury automaker in history to the point that they're the U.S.'s largest selling (including the LS's class), yet we're sitting here telling them they did it all wrong? IMO they did it right -- they brought out an extended wheelbase model when the time was right. Could they have brought it out a little earlier and maybe picked up a few sales? Perhaps, or perhaps not. Who knows if it'd have paid off in incremental sales (not to mention the fact that there is a cost associated with adding a new version). And perhaps the LS430 platform wasn't right for a LWB configuration -- it's definitely not an overly stiff chassis.

Since LS430 was outselling the German premium luxury sedans, maybe the Germans should have shortened their chassis instead???

Last edited by I6turbo; 02-17-10 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-17-10, 03:23 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Hey.... I just said they were late, not how late. 1 year or 20 years, it's still "late."

As for when it should have been release, I think Lexus has done an excellent job of releasing certain models at various times. They did not come out and bombard the market with five or six different vehicles. They tested the water with a market changing LS and vanilla ES. Then they added the RX and GS...etc. So, they have introduced I think the right amount of vehicles at the right time, and slowed on those that don't sell as well any more.

I think had they initially flooded the market from the start with the LS, GS, ES, RX, GX, LX... it would have been too much and would not have given Lexus enough time to establish what it wanted to do. Be one of the best, but at a "more affordable" price.
Old 02-17-10, 04:43 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

If anything they have made it harder to decide to spend little more for a long wheel base or go with the base LS460 in size. Not saying this to start a debate at all guys/gals. Just saying they all of sudden made it a decison for us at Lexus to get either size LS. I actually wish they had one option myself. When I got my S-Class(LWB) it was only one size and I liked that because the options of extras was all I had to decide on.

At the same time there are plenty who like the choice of SWB or LWB and I can respect that. Im not down or up on how long it took myself. Im a taller man,though not a giant and like having a larger sedan and its why I went from GS to LS. I pretty much dig the size of the LS430 so I dont know if the size of the LWB is needed if the SWB is similar in size to the LS430 I have now in terms of leg room. Id probably opt for the SWB but, the LWB is certainly something others will consider.

I agree with ALexusAnja made a good point when he stated they waited a while to do so. The good thing is LExus survived this long to get to this point. Who would have thought that there would be another luxury car company 25 years ago. It use to be a European dominated industry. Im grateful to be a part of the history but, have no idea if LWB is good or bad because Im not one who even gave it a thought before they added it. Good for new customers that they have the option though because it may attract new customers!! Congrats to those who are a part of history!!!. L.G.N.M

Last edited by usermel; 02-17-10 at 04:45 PM. Reason: many
Old 02-17-10, 04:44 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by I6turbo
LOL Lexus has come further, faster than any other luxury automaker in history to the point that they're the U.S.'s largest selling (including the LS's class), yet we're sitting here telling them they did it all wrong? IMO they did it right -- they brought out an extended wheelbase model when the time was right. Could they have brought it out a little earlier and maybe picked up a few sales? Perhaps, or perhaps not. Who knows if it'd have paid off in incremental sales (not to mention the fact that there is a cost associated with adding a new version). And perhaps the LS430 platform wasn't right for a LWB configuration -- it's definitely not an overly stiff chassis.

Since LS430 was outselling the German premium luxury sedans, maybe the Germans should have shortened their chassis instead???
I agree completely. "Late" is purely in the eyes of the beholder. I don't see "late" in this issue at all.
Old 02-17-10, 05:39 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Late than never...

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I agree completely. "Late" is purely in the eyes of the beholder. I don't see "late" in this issue at all.
better to come late than never. Look at Acura, first Japanese to party but that didn't mean anything. Better to get to a party late and party hard, than get there early and fizzle out...
Old 02-17-10, 08:17 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I COMPLETELY disagree.

My girlfriend says she's "late". I freak out and call my best friend and say Jennifer's "late". He freaks out and says HOW "late"? I say, LATE IS LATE! Does it matter? Is it too late to leave the country?

All of this is just a hypothetical..there were no actors nor animals hurt for this project. Testing not done on goats.
Old 02-18-10, 02:04 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

That last post was funny. I needed that laugh!!! L.G.N.M

Quick Reply: Ls430l