LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Which car is the best deal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-10, 11:54 AM
2lucky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which car is the best deal?

I've been lurking a long time and have really enjoyed the insight and humor here.
I have been offered 2 seemingly good deals. Both from individuals.
Dealer maintained cars, no paint work, 2004, UL's.
Both have the same int./ext. colors.

#1) $22,500, 49k mi.

#2) $19,000, 85k mi.

Which is the better value?
Old 02-17-10, 12:23 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

That's a tough one, but if it were me, and those were actually the prices that it'd take to buy them, they were truly near-identical in condition and history, I'd be inclined to pay the extra for the lower mile one. That said, I'd probably dig more and chances are I'd find a reason to sway me to one or the other in the condition, where they'd spent their lives (types of roads, driving conditions, climate, etc.) or something.
Old 02-17-10, 12:44 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

There is not enough information to answer your question. They are both used cars, so there could be marked variation in their condition regardles of their "dealer maintained" status. I would drive both and see what works and what doesn't. Check for smells, noises, dents & dings, suspension squat/lean, etc. Inspect the service history to see if one of the cars has a checkered history.
Old 02-17-10, 01:59 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Assuming both cars are in identical shape and same options we can look at only miles versus price. The numbers in this are pretty easy to compare as car A costs $3500 more than Car B and has apprx 35,000 less miles.

So would you pay $3500 to get a car with 35,000 less miles? Thats the question - that works out to 1 dollar for each 10 miles or .10/mile. Personally I would pay that premium to get a fresher car with less miles. Another way to look at it - with Car A you are 40K away from the major 90K timing belt service, with Car B you are 5K away from the major 90 K service.

Another way to look at it - when you sell the car in a few years you will likley get a small premium back for having a low mile car versus a very high mile car to sell.

For the .10 a mile premium at this point, I'd get the lower mile car if you can afford it I think its a good investment considering overall wear and tear, maintenance costs, and eventual resale.
Old 02-17-10, 02:04 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i personally find it hard to believe that you can get an 04-06 UL with only 49k miles for $22500. i think maybe an ML at this price but not a UL but if by some miracle it was a clean UL I would go with # 1 for sure. that is a lot of depreciation even in the 1.5 years i have owned a UL then...

i have an 05 UL purchased dec 08 for like 33k something (forget exactly) with 29k miles and now it is at like 57k miles and i owe like 28k on account of not owing a first payment for like 3-4 months (seemed really cool at the time).
Old 02-17-10, 03:17 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the $3500 won't break the bank, I'd take what's behind door number 1. Less miles and keep in mind, with the higher mileage vehicle, the 100K maintenance is coming up and if you do the full package (timing belt, water pump, fuilds, etc.) it's going to hit you about $3K. Atleast with car number 1, you have 51K to play with and depending on your annual mileage, that could be 3-4 years away.

If both are UL, and truly in good-excellent condition, then both are great deals.
Old 02-17-10, 04:58 PM
2lucky
Driver School Candidate

I sincerely appreciate all the thoughtful input.
Initially, my inclination was #2, based primarily on being fiscally conservative (frugal).
I've got a deal, contingent on my inspection tomorrow, for #1, thanks in large to the unanimous response here! Hopefully there will be no ugly surprises.
Both cars have near perfect dealership service records.
As some others have pointed out, now seems to truly be a buyers market.
I'll post a follow up when I get back.
Old 02-17-10, 06:57 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Like the saying goes - times they done got hard baby - In some parts of the country we are in a genuine depression - in those areas high lux big bucks cars like LS 430 are not in high demand - now is a great time to buy if you have the money and a steady income.
Old 02-17-10, 07:14 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Default I'm keeping the car for x years. (fill in the x)

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Assuming both cars are in identical shape and same options we can look at only miles versus price. The numbers in this are pretty easy to compare as car A costs $3500 more than Car B and has apprx 35,000 less miles.

So would you pay $3500 to get a car with 35,000 less miles? Thats the question - that works out to 1 dollar for each 10 miles or .10/mile. Personally I would pay that premium to get a fresher car with less miles. Another way to look at it - with Car A you are 40K away from the major 90K timing belt service, with Car B you are 5K away from the major 90 K service.

Another way to look at it - when you sell the car in a few years you will likley get a small premium back for having a low mile car versus a very high mile car to sell.

For the .10 a mile premium at this point, I'd get the lower mile car if you can afford it I think its a good investment considering overall wear and tear, maintenance costs, and eventual resale.
That's some cranial thinking right there..lol

Curious----to the OP....how long do you plan on keeping the car? I think that is a vital question to ask yourself. If you need car to drive for the next year or 2, because you're going to hit the lottery or get an insurance payout or inherit some $$$, but you're cash strapped RIGHT NOW, then obvi-----get car #2!

If your intentions are to keep this car for a longer time than usual, and even given the knowledge that provided the proper preventive maintenance, these cars are extremely reliable, then I'd take car #A...or was it Letter #1...ohh, nevermind. Hopefully you know what I mean.
Old 02-17-10, 09:29 PM
vipergts
Rookie

$22,500, 49k mi. -> This deals seems impossible almost, especially for a UL which is 100 percent clean.
Old 02-18-10, 05:06 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vipergts
$22,500, 49k mi. -> This deals seems impossible almost, especially for a UL which is 100 percent clean.

yeah man i'm with you ^ ^ ^, i'm gonna need some pics or a link cuz just since whoever made the autotrader (for example) ad and put ultra blah blah blah doesn't mean its a UL and $22,500 with 49k seems highly unlikely to me... just sayin'
Old 02-18-10, 06:02 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by vipergts
Originally Posted by sojah
yeah man i'm with you ^ ^ ^, i'm gonna need some pics or a link cuz just since whoever made the autotrader (for example) ad and put ultra blah blah blah doesn't mean its a UL and $22,500 with 49k seems highly unlikely to me... just sayin'
Come guys did you not see the OP's name? "2lucky"

If he did find a UL at the price posted, and it is CLEAN then he truley lives up to his name....just saying.
Old 02-18-10, 07:08 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

The only thing i can think of about a UL at that price is that it was actually, "ultra luxurious" and not the Ultra Luxury version. I bet these cars don't even have NAV in them...

2lucky, was this a joke? We're all pretty in tune with the pricing of our cars... this sounds like a post from 2good2Btrue.
Old 02-18-10, 07:59 AM
intermec
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

if you don't plan on keeping the car for long time, go with #2 and put more miles on it
Old 02-18-10, 08:14 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

just did and autotrader search for most of Texas and didn't find any 2004 ULs for sale???

I did find one in Oklahoma for $19,900, it only had 119,993 miles

Quick Reply: Which car is the best deal?