Lexus CPO "flat tire assistance"

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-10, 07:46 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Lexus CPO "flat tire assistance"

Hello folks!

When the lexus CPO warranty says that it has flat tire assistance, does this include the patching of your tire? I have a slow leak on my factory dunlops that I am nursing, and would rather take it to lexus than have a gas station possibly screw it up and throw my balance out of whack. It's not too bad, but I figure I would have them take care of it at my complimentary first oil change. It would be great if they patched from the CPO warranty. Does anyone know? I am so in love with my car!
Old 02-24-10, 08:38 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

don't know on the CPO warranty. I took my car for a nail in tire fix to NTB - what a mistake - unfortunately what was once a great company is now absolute incompetent crap outfit - using the lowest quality employees. If I had it to do over again I would have just taken it to lexus.
Old 02-24-10, 11:19 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

That's exactly what I am trying to avoid. I just got back from buying a portable air compressor to keep in my trunk to nurse the tire each week. It's better than the possible disaster that could happen from some idiot not doing it right. Plus it's great to have just to top off your tires. It's a win- win situation. 20 bucks is cheap insurance to keep a sub standard employee away from my car until I can get it to Lexus.
Old 02-24-10, 12:41 PM
jay33
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

woke up this morning to a flat tire due to a nail. Called AAA and they had someone out in 15 minutes, couldn't believe it. they put on the spare and i took the flat to an STS tire store near my house. they patched the flat from the inside(the right way), balanced it, put it back on and put the spare away. Took all of 30 minutes and car drives just like it always did. STS charged me $20. Just be careful where you go but no need to go to dealership.
Old 02-24-10, 12:54 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Originally Posted by jay33
woke up this morning to a flat tire due to a nail. Called AAA and they had someone out in 15 minutes, couldn't believe it. they put on the spare and i took the flat to an STS tire store near my house. they patched the flat from the inside(the right way), balanced it, put it back on and put the spare away. Took all of 30 minutes and car drives just like it always did. STS charged me $20. Just be careful where you go but no need to go to dealership.
Yeah- I'm probably over reacting, but I figure I might as well have it done at lexus when I get my oil change. On that note, does the cost of oil change include a tire rotation as well? I know some places do include a tire rotation with the oil change.
Old 02-24-10, 01:01 PM
jay33
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
Yeah- I'm probably over reacting, but I figure I might as well have it done at lexus when I get my oil change. On that note, does the cost of oil change include a tire rotation as well? I know some places do include a tire rotation with the oil change.
most dealerships rotate the tires during a 5000 mile oil change service. but they'll definitely charge you to find the leak and fix the tire. cant imagine that is covered by CPO.
Old 02-24-10, 02:53 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

I use a nearby Costco for all my tire needs. Purchased Michelin Primacy MXV4. I have them balanced and rotated every 5000 miles. They use nitrogen and will repair any flat tires. This is at no additional cost after purchase. I have 4-wheel alignment done at my Lexus dealer. Have been very happy with this arrangement for 15 years or so.

This of course assumes they have the tires you want, as their selection is not extensive. Just my opinion.
Old 02-24-10, 03:43 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
don't know on the CPO warranty. I took my car for a nail in tire fix to NTB - what a mistake - unfortunately what was once a great company is now absolute incompetent crap outfit - using the lowest quality employees. If I had it to do over again I would have just taken it to lexus.
If you have Discount Tire in your neck of the woods, check them out. I assume they are the same across the country, but I don't know. I just know that my local one is an outstanding tire shop. The technicians take care with each vehicle and wheel, and they act like they have been trained well and follow the procedures. I've probably had about 12-15 sets of tires mounted at my local DT, and never once has there been an out of balance condition or any damage to the wheels (multiple tire changes on expensive 3-piece wheels as well as forged 1-piece aftermarket, and factory wheels). Of course now that I brag about them, they'll probably damage one of my 2 sets of no longer available Japanese wheels... but that won't change the fact that they've been great so far.
Old 02-24-10, 03:54 PM
milesdf
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I concur! Discount Tire is good and very reasonable.
Have not used with my new Lexus, but on most of my other vehicles.
I'm a fan!
Dave
Old 02-24-10, 07:09 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

If you buy tires at the lexus dealer (tires obtained through lexus distribution), they come with the road hazard warranty, including free repair of flats. If you have new tires on a CPO car, it doesn't include the hazard warranty. I compared prices with Discount Tire on Michelins and it was a wash. When my honda prelude was new, I got a flat and had the Bridgestone/Firestone dealer replace it. That was a mistake, as they yanked the weights off, which chipped the new wheels (car had 6K mi on it at the time and was my first new car). If you have work done at a tire shop, you run the risk of cosmetic wheel damage, especially if you have chrome wheels where you have to use the protective donut to prevent damaging the chrome.
Old 02-25-10, 05:52 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
If you have work done at a tire shop, you run the risk of cosmetic wheel damage, especially if you have chrome wheels where you have to use the protective donut to prevent damaging the chrome.
Depends upon the tire shop. That risk is there regardless of who does the work -- Lexus dealer (some of which won't touch aftermarket wheels unless they sold them), tire shop, or home garage -- but it can be minimized to near-zero with the right equipment and skill of the technician.
Old 02-26-10, 10:13 AM
JP2SEA
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
Hello folks!

When the lexus CPO warranty says that it has flat tire assistance, does this include the patching of your tire? I have a slow leak on my factory dunlops that I am nursing, and would rather take it to lexus than have a gas station possibly screw it up and throw my balance out of whack. It's not too bad, but I figure I would have them take care of it at my complimentary first oil change. It would be great if they patched from the CPO warranty. Does anyone know? I am so in love with my car!

Lexus CPO will cover what's covered in the 24hr roadside assistance. I believe it will cover to change flat with spare tire, or if necessary, they will tow your car to the nearest service station. I doubt they cover the cost of repairng the flat. I take my tire repair to Discount Tires since all flat repair are free. (I bought my tires through them).