LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Purchasing 2004 LS430 tomorrow, please help with questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-10, 12:05 AM
BC8
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing 2004 LS430 tomorrow, please help with questions.

I'm picking up an 04 LS430 tomorrow and wanted to know if you guys had any suggestions and what to look for before I buy it. The car has 78k miles and is the sport suspension package. I read on here that sport suspension means air suspension? and also read that it can be costly to repair. How do I know if it does have the air suspension? Also, with 78k miles, what are things I should inspect and so forth. I test drove it and runs strong does not appear to have any issues but I wanted to make sure.
I read that there are quite a few different types of models. This one has navi, heated seats, parking sensors, with the premium 5 blade wheels. Can you tell me what model by just knowing this? Color is black exterior with tan interior, is that the same as cashmere interior? I'm new to Lexus so excuse my questions if they sound ridiculous.

Thanks for your responses.
Old 02-26-10, 02:03 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Sport suspension is just a beefed up handling package. It does not mean air suspension. Does the owner have any reciepts for scheduled maintanence? or Will the dealer give you the phone number of the previous owner to call? Does it have headlight washers, small square covers on the bumper? ? There are few things to worry about if it is mantained but you will need a timing belt at 90K. If you are serious take it to a Lexus mechanic for an inspection and ask to see the Lexus log for maintanence if it has been to a dealer. Good luck 78 k for the right price is OK if it has been maintained and they usually are because they are adult driven vehicles.

If it has nav and is the modern luxury package a good price would be about 15-16 k if it has been maintained.
Old 02-26-10, 05:00 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

An 04-06 with the sport suspension package will have an emblem stating such on the front fenders, just behind the wheel opening. The sport suspension was only offered on the premium (without nav) and modern luxury (with nav) packages. If the interior is tan on the ML package, that would be cashmere. For 04-06 cars, air suspension (not the same as sport suspension) was standard on the ultra luxury package only (rear armrest has bunch of controls for back seat goodies).

Many dealers, including some Lexus dealers, have no idea of what the options and packages are. They just check a bunch of boxes because they figure more people will want the car with more stuff checked. You need to inspect the car closely with the knowledge from this forum and an experienced Lexus mechanic. If the car is being offered by a Lexus or Toyota dealer, they can enter the VIN into their systems and give you a full printout of the packages & options on the car plus its service history.

Welcome and good luck in your search.
Old 02-26-10, 07:49 AM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BC8
The car has 78k miles and is the sport suspension package. ......This one has navi, heated seats, parking sensors, with the premium 5 blade wheels. Can you tell me what model by just knowing this? Color is black exterior with tan interior, is that the same as cashmere interior?

I'm an '04 owner, too. I have the 2004 brochure and according to it:

Sport package was not available with UL or CL (That leaves Premium or ML)
Of the 2 models remaining, NAV was only available in the ML)
So, you have a Modern Luxury (ML)
You say you have Black exterior w/tan interior.
That would be (according to the '04 brochure) Black Onyx with Cashmere interior. Cashmere interior only came w/ Golden Bird's-eye Maple wood.

So, you have a 2004 Black Onyx ML w/Cashmere interior, Bird's-eye Maple wood, and Euro-tuned Sport suspension (Sport Package)

Walt
Old 02-26-10, 08:13 AM
milesdf
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats! Just bought one myself.
While you still have some power.....Suggest you ask them to fix small "dinks" in paint and bumpers in their body shop before delivery. Easy for them in their shop with proper tools and colors. Get at least two keys. See if they will through in new OEM Lexus floor mats... if you don't ask, they definately won't.
Good luck!
Old 02-26-10, 03:35 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Check/ask them if it had the fuel tank filler neck TSB done! Check/ask them about the transmission! I believe there was a TSB for that also...and I think even a recall?

Reference the fuel tank/filler neck---if it wasn't done, you're going to hate fueling it up because the handle on the fuel pump will continuously click off, even though the tank isn't full (unless you pump the gas into the car with the nozzle upsidedown.) At least, that's what I've heard.

Hope this info isn't too late.

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 02-26-10 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-26-10, 04:16 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
Check/ask them if it had the fuel tank filler neck TSB done! Check/ask them about the transmission! I believe there was a TSB for that also...and I think even a recall?

Reference the fuel tank/filler neck---if it wasn't done, you're going to hate fueling it up because the handle on the fuel pump will continuously click off, even though the tank isn't full (unless you pump the gas into the car with the nozzle upsidedown.) At least, that's what I've heard.

Hope this info isn't too late.
Ref the fuel tank fill line. This may not be as bad as reported. I've had my 04 since May 07 and had about 4 incidents where the handle would click off. They were so few and far apart that I didn't think much about it, blaming the pump or hot weather. I did read about the TSB a couple of months ago after experiencing a problem as you reported. Had to turn the nozzle upside down to get it to pump gas.

I went to my Lexus dealer and they confirmed that the TSB had not been done on my car. They immediately ordered the part and replaced it under warranty. I do have the Lexus Platinum 5-year extended warranty.

I'm very pleased with my car and the local Lexus dealer.
Old 02-26-10, 06:04 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope the price is low, because the mileage is high for the year. Major expensive services are just around the corner! Unless you are good at keeping up with detailing the exterior, then don't buy black. This car's paint is ridiculously soft and it will show every dent, ding, scratch, chip and other imperfection. If it hasn't been re-painted already, thanks to the soft paint, the entire front end will show excessive amounts chipping, which is super noticeable on black.
Just because you test drove the car and it drove fine, doesn't mean you should buy it. You clearly know little about the car, so you should have a full pre-purchase inspection (PPI) done at an independent shop or dealer who knows the car BEFORE you purchase it! You should run both a CarFax and Autocheck report, in addition to a full paint inspection to pick up any previous repairs. You should also demand all service records as part of the sale, as the dealers will rarely give you anything after the sale. Check to make sure all the keys, first aid kit, spare tire, ect... are there and included. They will be very expensive to replace if they were stolen, broken or missing.
Old 02-26-10, 07:15 PM
BC8
Rookie

Default Picked it up today

Thanks everyone for your input. Just picked it up and everything looks like it's in place and works fine. I had my mechanic look at it and he checked it off. Overall body and paint looks good, but the front chips are there as you mentioned. How easy is it to take care that? and how is it done?

Also, is there an option to turn off the ODO reading? I've always turned this option off in my cars I don't like being reminded of the mileage I pile on.

And, is the orange lights on cluster the only option? of can you change the color like the newer Lexus models?

Thanks again!
Old 02-26-10, 08:09 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BC8
Thanks everyone for your input. Just picked it up and everything looks like it's in place and works fine. I had my mechanic look at it and he checked it off. Overall body and paint looks good, but the front chips are there as you mentioned. How easy is it to take care that? and how is it done?

Also, is there an option to turn off the ODO reading? I've always turned this option off in my cars I don't like being reminded of the mileage I pile on.

And, is the orange lights on cluster the only option? of can you change the color like the newer Lexus models?

Thanks again!
You have got the repaint the front end of the car to blend the new black paint into the old paint. I'm assuming the entire front bumper cover, front 1/3 of the hood and possibly two side front fender panels are a chipped mess. For a good quality job, you are looking at least $1000. If its just the front bumper cover, then around $400-600.
Don't turn off the odometer. You should always be aware of the current mileage on the car. This way you won't exceed major service intervals or go way over an oil change.
The cluster color cannot change as far as I know (well unless you modify it with some white or blue LED's).
Old 02-26-10, 09:51 PM
BC8
Rookie

Default ODO light

Can you turn off or swith off the ODO reading? I usually use the trip meter as a reminder for o changes and so forth.
Old 02-27-10, 09:05 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

It's a requirement that members post some pics of a newly purchased vehicle, so get on it! Well--it's actually more of a tradition.

You will probably fall in love your new ride, if you haven't already. Welcome to the club!...where we love pictures.
Old 11-17-11, 04:12 PM
BC8
Rookie

Sorry for super late response everyone. I've had this car for almost two years now and I'd have to say it's probably the best car I've ever owned! That includes a 06 750li and I recently purchased an 07 LS460.
The LS430 just seems to ride more solid than the 460 and feels better built.

I now have almost 120k miles on the 430. I've replaced timing belt and brake job. Other than that car is awesome! Great commuter as I travel from northern to southern California quite often.
Old 11-17-11, 04:43 PM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where the pic at love to see your line-up.
Old 11-17-11, 06:13 PM
2004TOYO
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Two years later and STILL no pictures....?

Quick Reply: Purchasing 2004 LS430 tomorrow, please help with questions.