LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Occasional starting issues....

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-10, 09:31 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Occasional starting issues....

Hey gents, at times when I attempt to start the car when it's cold the car will start n die. When I try starting it again all goes well....

Any thoughts.... Appreciate all your feedback!!
Old 02-27-10, 10:33 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

my initial reaction would be to get the battery checked...
Old 02-28-10, 01:03 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
my initial reaction would be to get the battery checked...
+1
Old 02-28-10, 03:52 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Why would "start n die" indicate a bad battery? There's enough juice to spin the starter and have the car start - twice. I think something else is the cause. Maybe there's a partially clogged fuel filter or weak fuel pump that is not allowing fuel pressure to come up quickly enough. If these cars have an external fuel filter, you may want to start there. You can also try a trick that works on some domestics:

- Turn the "key" to on, but not all the way to start.
- Pause a second while everything stabilizes.
- Turn the "key" to start.
Old 02-28-10, 07:04 AM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Fuel filter does sound like the possible culprit. I will have that changed and see how things go from there... Only when it is cold this happens. Another thing.... Last night I had to brake hard cause if a stupid driver and my Brake light came on... The one that comes on when you apply the parking brake!! Any thoughts on that??

I still have warranty on this car, I guess I will have it checked out....
Old 02-28-10, 07:36 AM
Alexis-LS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometime when you brake (or corner) hard and if you have low brake fluid, the sensor can go off. Not sure about the starting problem. The 2UZ-FE in my Sequoia did that once (engine died after starting) after I started it without proper mounting the air flow meter.
Old 02-28-10, 11:40 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMUSCLE
Fuel filter does sound like the possible culprit. I will have that changed and see how things go from there... Only when it is cold this happens. Another thing.... Last night I had to brake hard cause if a stupid driver and my Brake light came on... The one that comes on when you apply the parking brake!! Any thoughts on that??

I still have warranty on this car, I guess I will have it checked out....
Regarding the starting----my thoughts are a fuel problem (filter/pump/etc), not battery.

Regarding the brakes---my thoughts would be to check your brake fluid level.

How many miles do you have on the car?
Old 02-28-10, 02:01 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Only 62k...
Old 02-28-10, 02:58 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

^^^
Has it ever had a fuel filter change? I had a pickup coast to a stop at about that mileage because the dealer never changed the fuel filter at 30K as I requested.
Old 02-28-10, 07:26 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by caddyowner
^^^
Has it ever had a fuel filter change? I had a pickup coast to a stop at about that mileage because the dealer never changed the fuel filter at 30K as I requested.
Unclear on that... I have had the car since early 08 with 32k on it... I have never changed it and is it part of the 30k service? If not then I don't see this being changed at all.
Old 02-28-10, 08:06 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I haven't looked at the recommended service intervals/owners manual reference the fuel filter...however, when I was approaching ~75k miles with my 2002 Acura RL, I couldn't find a part # (Purolator nor Honda) for it's fuel filter.

Intrestingly enough, when I went to the parts counter at the Acura dealership, they told me the fuel filter NEVER needed changing?! They didn't even have any on hand nor in their stock to buy! I found that really weird.

Ultimately, in my own world, I try to change the fuel filter every 50k miles, regardless what the book says.
Old 03-01-10, 05:31 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

^^^
Unfortunately, not having a changeable in-line fuel filter has become popular among automakers. I think it is a combination of cost reduction and the changeover to higher pressure fuel systems. The screen over the intake is supposed to last the life of the in-tank fuel pump - which sounds like a self-defeating strategy to me. I wouldn't be surprised if the LS430 has this system since at least some other Toyotas it.
Old 03-01-10, 06:49 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Fuel filter is in the tank and is not supposed to be changed. Lexus has been using the that system since early nineties with no issues. Seems like a starter or ground (more likely) issue to me.
Old 03-01-10, 06:06 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Fuel filter is in the tank and is not supposed to be changed. Lexus has been using the that system since early nineties with no issues. Seems like a starter or ground (more likely) issue to me.
Starter... Only happens when the car was sitting for a while. Today I started the car after 12hrs n it did it... The first time it starts and dies right away. Second time all goes well.
Old 03-01-10, 07:28 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Is it starting all the way and then dying, or not starting all the way and dying? If the first, then i'd guess something with the fuel/air system (something with the fuel supply, mass air sensor dirty, air filter too dirty). If it's the starter contacts, it will sometimes start, and sometimes you'll just hear a click. If your headlights work w/ the engine off, you can rule out the battery. If dash lights flash on/off intermittently while driving, then I'd suspect a bad ground/dirty battery terminals.

Quick Reply: Occasional starting issues....