LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 Review - for the Husband

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-10, 01:09 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default LS430 Review - for the Husband

After a couple trips out with my wife this weekend in my new 05 CL, there are a few features of this car I don't think have been mentioned before:

- The V8 powertrain is nearly silent. I thought I'd miss the V8 growl. However, when the engine is nearly silent, your wife has no idea how fast you are really going.

- The novelty of laser adaptive cruise control makes for a quieter ride. As you're cruising down the freeway, you hope for someone slower to pull into your lane so you can see how the cruise control slows you down. There is almost no swearing from the driver. Granted, this feature may wear off after a short time.

- The CL, with laminated side glass is a very quiet car. If your wife is nagging you about something when you pull in the garage, you can get out of the car, close the door, and have silence.
Old 02-28-10, 02:36 PM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
- The novelty of laser adaptive cruise control makes for a quieter ride. As you're cruising down the freeway, you hope for someone slower to pull into your lane so you can see how the cruise control slows you down. There is almost no swearing from the driver. Granted, this feature may wear off after a short time.

- The CL, with laminated side glass is a very quiet car. If your wife is nagging you about something when you pull in the garage, you can get out of the car, close the door, and have silence.

Remember, you can adjust the distance between the cars. Not sure if you read the manual all the way through.

Funny on closing the door on the wife
Old 02-28-10, 05:07 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The cruise will only slow down to 27mph, then disengage... it will NOT bring you to a stop. Also, I've found that when approaching a stopped vehicle, it does not compensate for a fast approach, so it doesn't actually start to slow until you're very very close and I've never tested to see if it will "jam" on the brakes.
Old 02-28-10, 05:31 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^
The adaptive cruise seems to work fine at, well, adapting when a car moves in front of you. It backed off the gas and left the preset distance behind the new car. According to the manual, if braking is needed, an alert sounds but the adaptive cruise, even with radar PCS, does not apply the brakes.
Old 02-28-10, 05:41 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

The adaptive cruise does apply the brakes. I had someone cut me off at 65 mph on the bypass and the car abruptly applied the brakes with the warning. It was rather disconcerting when it happened the first time. I have since learned to really love this system when driving on the bypass. It will slow you to the existing traffic in front of you and then accelerate whenever they do. A beautify way to prevent speeding tickets as it keeps you within the max limit you set (speed limit) and lets you flow with the traffic. But I never try to use it in any kind of stop and go traffic in typical 25-45 speed areas.

I love it and think everyone should try it. Just my opinion.
Old 03-01-10, 01:54 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The adaptive cruise definitely applies the brakes. It slows the car down using the engine, but when it detects too fast of an approach, it will apply the brakes. If you look at the LS display on the cruise as you feel it slowing down fast, you'll notice the "brake lights" on the display are activated.

Like I said, it would brake to a stop, only down to about 27 mph then cuts out.