LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

New Tires today

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-10, 05:29 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts
Default New Tires today

Got a set of Michelin Primacy MXV today at Costco - drive out was $708. Size 225x17. First impressions is they are very smooth, almost no tire noise, but they seem little stiffer sidewall-wise than the stock Dunlops so you can feel and hear the bumps and ridges a little with the Michelins on road imperfections a little more. Rain, handling, rolling resistance, and mileage is supposed to be a lot better.

I replace the Dunlops at 20k because I got a nail puncture on one and took it to NTB where they did a crappy repair so I did not trust that tire anymore but did not want to buy just one Dunlop. So replaced the Dunlops probably 10k early but no regrets, as the Dunlops were pretty old, early 05 date code, so I feel better having some newly manufactured tires (Sept 09 date code) on my car. Going to take a long hwy trip in the next few weeks.

I'll report back as the Michelins break-in a little.
Old 02-28-10, 05:34 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

from your first impressions, they seem more sportier than your dunlops. I think I had the MXM4 I believe that was it and they were smooth.
Old 03-07-10, 11:13 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Got a set of Michelin Primacy MXV today at Costco - drive out was $708. Size 225x17. First impressions is they are very smooth, almost no tire noise, but they seem little stiffer sidewall-wise than the stock Dunlops so you can feel and hear the bumps and ridges a little with the Michelins on road imperfections a little more. Rain, handling, rolling resistance, and mileage is supposed to be a lot better.

I replace the Dunlops at 20k because I got a nail puncture on one and took it to NTB where they did a crappy repair so I did not trust that tire anymore but did not want to buy just one Dunlop. So replaced the Dunlops probably 10k early but no regrets, as the Dunlops were pretty old, early 05 date code, so I feel better having some newly manufactured tires (Sept 09 date code) on my car. Going to take a long hwy trip in the next few weeks.

I'll report back as the Michelins break-in a little.
did you find your stock dunlops to be noisy? Do you enjoy your lexus more with the michelins now that you have had them on there for a little while?
Old 03-07-10, 11:25 AM
Jabberwock

I'm still undecided. The stock Dunlops were very quiet and seemed less harsh over uneven surfaces. I think the Michelin tires may handle better - they are quiet but seem significantly stiffer than the Dunlops on the LS - and I have 17s. On 18s it would even be worse.
Old 03-07-10, 11:32 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jabberwock,

What pressure are you running the Michelin's at? You might want to try and play around with the air pressure a bit. 1 to 1.5 pounds in either direction can make a difference.
Old 03-07-10, 02:53 PM
Vpanin
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn...............there are so many tires out there!!! I need to get a set by next winter. Such a difficult decision!! I heard that michelin make a lil more noise over bumps because theyre a harder compound tires.....made for the long run......
Old 03-07-10, 08:04 PM
Jabberwock

Yea these Michelin Primacy MXV have 60k warranty - they definitely feel like a harder compound than the Dunlops.

Unfortunately there is no perfect tire, they are all a compromise - I used to run Michelin MXV V rated Energy tires on my 99 RL - great ride, extremely quiet, but they wore out at 30k even with very gentle driving.
Old 03-07-10, 08:34 PM
Vpanin
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea these Michelin Primacy MXV have 60k warranty - they definitely feel like a harder compound than the Dunlops.

Unfortunately there is no perfect tire, they are all a compromise - I used to run Michelin MXV V rated Energy tires on my 99 RL - great ride, extremely quiet, but they wore out at 30k even with very gentle driving.

How do you compare the 99 RL to the LS430. Im just curious cuz at one point I really wanted to get one...........sorry to get off the tire topic... lol
Old 03-08-10, 04:02 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Check out Bridgestone Serenity.
Old 03-08-10, 04:47 AM
Jabberwock

Recommended pressure from Costco on the Michelin Primacy is 33 lbs for the LS 430. Seems a little high to me - the tire guy said it was due to the tires carrying weight differently? I lowed to 31 and it still seems stiffer than the Dunlops.

I love the Acura 89 Legend I had, and loved the 99 RL I had. great trouble free cars, but I really dislike the looks, size, and relatively high price of the latest gen RL (2009-10 version). So I decided to move to the Lexus LS which I'd had my eye on since the 2001 version came out. Now I don't miss the RL at all.
Old 03-08-10, 07:01 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

Recommended pressure from Costco on the Michelin Primacy is 33 lbs for the LS 430. Seems a little high to me - the tire guy said it was due to the tires carrying weight differently?
Due the tires carrying weight differently? I've never heard of that one and I'm way into geezer territory!

Did you have Costco install your new Michelins and, if so, how did they do?

I passed on having Costco install the MXV4's I bought in January and will have the Lexus dealer install them this summer after I milk a few more miles from my summer Bridgestone RE750's. My 00 LS400 Platinum Series came with chrome versions of the standard 01-02 LS430 wheels -- no room for stick-on weights due to the brake calipers and Costco doesn't have chrome rim weights like the Lexus dealer has. IMO, the best aspect of your 17" wheels is that stick-on weights can be used with no problem.

Costco - at least here in Kansas - has stopped using lead rim weights and has "gone green" with odd, larger/longer steel (aluminum?) rim weights that don't at all blend with chrome wheels. I hated to pass up Costco's lifetime balancing deal -- especially since Costco is a few blocks away and the Lexus dealer is 12 miles away.

I was recently surprised to find that Costco will order and discount tires they don't normally stock. For example, I need a new set of Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires to replace the Blizzaks I've milked seven winters from. With the $70/set rebate on Bridgestone tires that starts March 11 at Costco, I can get new Blizzaks there at a substantially lower price than from any other seller including on-line sellers. The rebate offsets the 8% sales tax I wouldn't have to pay if I bought the tires online and the shipping costs I would have to pay if I did.

I don't mean to sound like a schill for Costco (full disclosure: I am a Costco shareholder) but I never before thought of Costco as a good place to buy tires for our Lexus cars.
Old 03-08-10, 07:48 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

My Costco doesn't use rim weights on the outside of the wheel. They use stick-on weights. I trust them much more than Discount Tire. They do a much better job and am really satisfied with their work. They also use nitrogen at no extra cost, whereas my Lexus dealer charges $50.

Ask your Costco about their installation techniques before you just write them off. You might be surprised.
Old 03-08-10, 08:34 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
My Costco doesn't use rim weights on the outside of the wheel. They use stick-on weights. I trust them much more than Discount Tire. They do a much better job and am really satisfied with their work. They also use nitrogen at no extra cost, whereas my Lexus dealer charges $50.

Ask your Costco about their installation techniques before you just write them off. You might be surprised.
I went over the options with the Costco tire department manager. They use stick-on weights on compatible wheels and sometimes use them on incompatible wheels and do a static instead of dynamic balance. The problem is that 95-02 LS400 and LS430 OEM 16" wheels don't have enough clearance with the front brake calipers to do a dynamic balance with stick-on weights. Several specialty wheel shops have "guaranteed" they could do a dynamic balance with their ultra-thin stick-on weights but those hit the front brake calipers too.

The local Lexus dealer doesn't try to use stick-on weights with 16" 95-02 LS400/LS430 wheels -- just uses hammer-on painted rim weights and chrome plated rim weights on chrome wheels.
Old 03-08-10, 10:49 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

I had no idea that was the case. Just assumed my experience would be the same with everyone. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-08-10, 11:01 AM
Jabberwock

Yep Costco is my favorite place for tires and king snow crab legs : )

Long term shareholder since 1990's.

Quick Reply: New Tires today