LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430
View Poll Results: Should I drive cross country in my 2005 LS430?
YES! Do it! The LS430 can take it. It would be exciting and memorable!
86.96%
NO! Fly to the schools & get a rental. You 'd run into trouble during a voyage like that!
10.87%
YES! Do it! The LS430 can handle it, but don't invite the girlfriend to drive back home.
2.17%
YES! Do it because I'm hoping you'll get lost so you never post on Club Lexus again!
0%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

cross country trip, AND BACK in the LS430

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-10, 08:37 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depending on how old the Nav data is in the car, you might want to consider taking along a stand-alone GPS if you have one. Particularly when you are trying to locate a restaurant or hotel as you drive, (assuming you have a passenger), without the nav override, the Lexus nav is pretty useless.

Seriously consider using Hotwire or Priceline for your hotels, you can save a ton of money. I think we stayed at a total of 10 different hotels. Booked 9 of them with Priceline, and the one I didn't was the crappiest and the most expensive. If you're using these sites, check out betterbidding.com, it's a site where Priceline and Hotwire users go and post their results; it gives you a good idea of what hotel you'll get in a given city for a given star level, and how much you should offer for it.
Old 03-13-10, 01:59 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by jstjohnz
Depending on how old the Nav data is in the car, you might want to consider taking along a stand-alone GPS if you have one. Particularly when you are trying to locate a restaurant or hotel as you drive, (assuming you have a passenger), without the nav override, the Lexus nav is pretty useless.

Seriously consider using Hotwire or Priceline for your hotels, you can save a ton of money. I think we stayed at a total of 10 different hotels. Booked 9 of them with Priceline, and the one I didn't was the crappiest and the most expensive. If you're using these sites, check out betterbidding.com, it's a site where Priceline and Hotwire users go and post their results; it gives you a good idea of what hotel you'll get in a given city for a given star level, and how much you should offer for it.
Thank you for the references. Regarding the nav, even though I have 8.1 in the LS, I think now is the time to be guaranteed the latest/greatest database...so I just bought 9.1 from Sewell, along with some other maintenance items (air, oil, and cabin filters), etc. I will probably have the goodies on Tuesday.

Using our "club" discount took the nav disk price down from $200 to like $175! I will sell the 8.1 on ebay for probably $176..lol.

My gf has a portable garmin...she's going to bring it on the return trip and we'll use them side by side and see any discrepancies between them, and obviously, use hers to "search" for things (hotel, food, etc) while the LS is in motion.
Old 03-26-10, 05:33 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Default my first dealer visit--request for service

So...I ordered the 9.1 nav upgrade online through Sewell, and will be installing it tomorrow. I took pics of the 8.1 coverage and will post pics of them and also pics of the 9.1 upgrade to compare the differences, however minor or major.

Being that I'm about 2 weeks out from leg #1 of my trip, I stopped by my Lexus dealer today (Koons) Lexus of Wilmington. I told the service writer I was taking the LS on an cross country trip and wanted to perform some preventive maintenance. I have 58k on the odometer now. Being that I've never had any sort of preventive service done at the dealer, the service advisor immediately suggested the 60k service, which was about $1100? This was more than what I wanted to pay and also not what I wanted, in the scope of work. I didn't want an oil change, nor air filter, nor cabin filter, nor wiper blades (can't change bad design ) nor tire rotation....so I started penciling out items on the 60k service, and going "a la carte"....as I was now picking and choosing exactly what I wanted.

After adding the laundry list of items that I DID want, my choices ended up MORE expensive than the 60k service at $1100!!! I was sad.

The advisor then told me during a 30k or 60k, etc service, they REDUCE the labor rate to something like $75/hr. When I declined the 60k service and picked a la carte items, he had to charge me the full labor rate. I think he said $120/hr?

Regardless, he came up with a great idea to do the 30k service, PLUS the items I wanted (changing the rear differential fluid, tranny fluid, and coolant.)

Included in the 30k service was changing of the brake fluid I believe, also. Additionally, when I told him I still didn't need the air, oil, wipers, etc changed out with the 30k service, he said he could credit me $100+ dollars back........so.....it's scheduled for Monday.

When the advisor realized I was STILL asking 1001 questions, lol, he asked if I wanted to meet the technician. Obviously and probably a bit more enthusiastically than a normal customer, I said F- YEA! lol, and the service advisor walked me into the garage. He introduced me to a 30 y/o rugged and good looking dude. I talked to the tech for about 10 minutes. When I told the tech the scenario of my trip, my service intentions, etc, his remarks were, and I quote, "Man---you don't need to do all that. Your LS is bulletproof." I'm not kidding!

After going into more detail that my LS has never had any "preventive" maintenance done, aside from the basics of oil and air, he agreed that it would be worthwhile to do the rear diff fluid and brake fluid, and that's about IT! (his words)

He replied about the coolant and said don't worry until 100k nor don't bother with the tranny fluid...and ESPECIALLY the spark plugs didn't need to be changed. He also said that "When I change your plugs at 100k, they will look brand new...I can almost guarantee that."

Being that doing a plug change at the dealer was about $600 ALONE, I opted not to have them done at this time. I will most likely try to do them myself on a nice lazy warm weekend, probably when I get back.

Lastly, when I told him I wanted the tranny serviced (fluid changed/flushed?) because there will most likely be sustained "high speed" driving of 90+ mph, the tech said--- as long as I wasn't towing anything, it's fine/not needed. I told him I'd still said I'd like it changed regardless. He chuckled and said, "We can do whatever you want."

After all was said and shaking hands with him and forgetting to let go (kidding), I asked him if I was allowed to "hang out" with him on Monday and pick his brain a little bit and watch him work, if he didn't mind. He said he didn't mind one bit!

After checking out with the service advisor, he said bring your LS in anytime on Monday morning, and we'll have a loaner car for you to use all day. (I may not even USE it since I'll hang with the tech for a while.)

Overall, it was a very pleasant experience and look very much forward to taking it in. Is it weird that I feel compelled to wash and vaccuum my car BEFORE I give it to them? I'm just weird like that. I feel like they'd do a better job on a nicely maintained car. No proof to my mindset, but being a service guy myself, I know I am more meticulous in customer's facilities that are maintained nicer - than normal.

Oh.....when I asked about the tranny TSB (rough shifting 1/2 gear) the service writer said since my LS is 2005, it's not affected. I think he was mistaken and referring to the tranny recall, and not the TSB. Mike/alexusanja---didn't you have the TSB done recently? I know this post contains many subjects/topics, but they're all related to this darn cross country trip.

I will print out and take the TSB with me, and see if I can get them to "include" it with the bill.

I'm not sure what the total damage will be, but I'll be sure to let you guys know how much the modified 30k service was, plus any a la carte items that I request at the last minute.

I may post the Nav updates from 8.1 to 9.1 on here, or maybe start a new thread if there isn't one already.

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 03-26-10 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-26-10, 07:26 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Great post - lots of good info - thanks!
Old 03-29-10, 07:20 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

So....I'm sitting in the lounge (actually the showroom) after doing the paperwork with the service advisor, and talking with the tech.

The tech said he's never heard of the transmission TSB on an LS, and obviously never re-flashed a transmission on an LS before. ES's he has done, but not an LS. He asked if I've ever had the "memory" erased from the car, to which I replied, "What---you mean disconnect the battery for a couple minutes?" He replied with an interesting grin...."No. That's old school. We can wipe the memory clean a much better way."

We'll see what happens...so now I'm unsure if I'm getting the TSB done or just erasing any memory. Even though it was 9:45am, I felt rushed to have the paperwork done, shown the rental car, and get out of the way.

PS....they gave me a loaner ES350 , even after I let them know I'd love an LS460L as a loaner.

Total damage for work will be $549. I will get the breakdown later on...
Old 03-29-10, 07:43 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

That sounds like a good price. My dealer charges about $470 for the 30K service alone.
Old 03-29-10, 09:42 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default LS style

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
.. they gave me a loaner ES350 , even after I let them know I'd love an LS460L as a loaner.

Total damage for work will be $549. I will get the breakdown later on...
I've never had an LS as a loaner, much less seen one as a loaner. I've gotten RX, ES, and the new HS. As a beater for rental, I'd take a ES over any of those.

As for 55K maintenance, you're far from having spark plugs done, far from timing belts, far from any pumps. Even brake fluid is iffy.

Anyway, good luck with your trip.
Old 03-29-10, 11:49 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Smile back from the dealer---and relieved

I'm sitting on my couch now, back from the dealer. Total damage was actually $525. For this price they performed a 30k service minus air filter, minus oil change, minus wipers, minus rotation. We added a rear diff. oil change, changed coolant, changed ATF fluid, brake inspection (over 50% remaining) & brake fluid change. I never questioned exactly HOW they did some of those fluid changes--whether they just drained and refilled or flushing under some sort of pressure, etc? I wish I asked the tech...just for my own knowledge.

The tech DID mention that my ATF was a little dirtier than what he thought it would be. Everything else was fine. When I asked how she looked up in the air, leaks, etc?...he again used the word "bulletproof". He also said these LS's rarely leak fluids.

When I asked him about the transmission shift pattern TSB he said they can do it if I really wanted them to do it but he wanted me to talk to the shop foreman before they did it. In speaking with the shop foreman, he said just because I "found" this TSB online doesn't mean I should automatically get it done, and if there something wrong with my tranny?

I replied that sometimes (50%) of the time, on level driving surfaces, the tranny shifts seamlessly from 111ssssst.....then 222nnnnnd.....then 333rrrrrd.....then 4ttttth..then 3rrrrdddddd (again), then 4thhhh.....then 5ttttthhhh.....then 6th.

It occasionally hunts between 3rd and 4th gears...like I said, even on level driving surface and with the same/constant amount of throttle?

They then said they wanted to clear the memory using their computer that plugs in under the dash. (It TOTALLY clears any memory, versus the battery disconnecting technique.) They said the car will "re-learn" my driving habits, and we could see how it's acting in a couple weeks. Also they didn't want to do it unless absolutely necessary because if they are in the middle of re-flashing any software (and it is software that is downloaded, not a physical chip replacement), there is the potential to have the ECU become irreparable/damaged/fried, if there's a power outage or flucutaion, etc. They would then have to eat the cost of an ECU. That is definitely a reason why they are reluctant to do any software upgrades to the ECU. Not sure about preferences/settings with the Smartkey though, if thats re-flashing the ECU or not.

I agreed. We baselined/cleared the memory only.

Driving home, I took the long way home, and happy to announce it didn't hunt between 3rd and 4th gears AT ALL. Once it shifted into a gear, it stayed there!

Last but not least, I asked him how complicated doing the plugs would be? He said, not complcated at all. Just get the right plug, make sure you have some swivel-extensions for a wratchet, and save yourself $600! I told him I've seen Denso plugs and NGK plugs....which would HE use? He said he'd stick with OEM's, the Denso's.

Overall, besides the fact there weren't any hour'derves nor shrimp cocktail, nor even bagels or dainishes, it was the best $520 I've spent. The invoice doesn't have any breakdown for service/price..it just says everything that was done, and then the total.

I feel very very very satisfied and relieved they didn't "find" anything abnormal...well, maybe aside from my reluctance to leave my technican's bay.

C'mon USA!.....I'll be departing in a couple weeks to come out there and explore all what you have to show me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 03-29-10 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-29-10, 12:14 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like a good visit - aside from the lack of food.
Old 03-29-10, 02:31 PM
Jabberwock

Great report on service. Best of luck on your upcoming trip. Truth be told I am one of the folks that voted no so I am interested in your impressions of doing a long distance road trip, particularly places to stay and places to eat. I love having a wonderful road car but I am loath to take it on a long trip. On recent trips to Atlanta and to Chicago we ended up driving straight thru on 16+ hour drives rather stop in a random motel/hotel and then be forced to eat franchise fast food or Dennys...homey don't play dat.

Sorry to be negative, I am old enough to remember roadside diners and truck stops that had really good food...that's just a part of the lost America that Walmart ate. Hope you find the good stuff and cool places to stop.
Old 03-29-10, 02:42 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Great report on service. Best of luck on your upcoming trip. Truth be told I am one of the folks that voted no so I am interested in your impressions of doing a long distance road trip, particularly places to stay and places to eat. I love having a wonderful road car but I am loath to take it on a long trip. On recent trips to Atlanta and to Chicago we ended up driving straight thru on 16+ hour drives rather stop in a random motel/hotel and then be forced to eat franchise fast food or Dennys...homey don't play dat.

Sorry to be negative, I am old enough to remember roadside diners and truck stops that had really good food...that's just a part of the lost America that Walmart ate. Hope you find the good stuff and cool places to stop.
I understand everything you're saying. Actually, it's starting to get fun now, regarding planning at least. I am looking/about to book hotels along the route using Priceline. Some hotels are as cheap as $43 W/O fees...yet rated highly by previous guests.
Old 03-29-10, 08:02 PM
Jabberwock

Excellent - planning a trip certainly helps. Be sure to gives us some real time road reports on your travel and experiences in the LS. Maybe you will inspire some of us that have given up on it to get back on the road. In my opinion the LS430 is likely the best car design in the last 25 years for a long diy American distance style road trip.
Old 03-30-10, 12:48 AM
SteveM
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is great! It's got some excellent suggestions and generally shows a huge faith in and passion for the LS430. I admire your choice to drive the trip. I bought my LS in mid Feb and drove it home (1900 miles) in 3 days and then drove between my home city and the city I currently study in a few times. In total I've put 3000K miles and change on her in just over a month (all highway travel).

Reading some of the above posts, certain things mentioned really hit home for me as certain factors that came into play on my travels. I thought I might just re-mention a few of them that I found most memorable.

First and foremost, with the car serviced you aren't needing to worry about that. I had the same done before I left LA to come up the I15 to Canada. That's important piece of mind. Now you know your land yacht is ready to sail.

On my trip I drove 8-12 hour days and if I stretched a bit here and there, and varied my seat position and hand position on the wheel a bit I was comfortable. I'm 26 and at your age I don't think the bodily comfort will come into play as others have validly mentioned. On cruise control the car is like a couch on wheels with a steering wheel.

An important thing I learned was to consciously plan how much driving to do during the day or into the night. Night driving requires significantly more effort by the driver to access the necessary information to drive safely on the highway, esspecially on unfamiliar roads. I found the night's to be very grueling sometimes. I strained my eyes to see curves far in advance, to watch for wildlife and to tell if wetness, sand or whatever was on the surface at any given time. The LS's headlamps are amazing, but they are not a replacement for sunlight. Everyone will think your brights are on!

Related to this issue of night driving is sleep. When you're on the road staying in random hotels, somtimes you sleep well and sometimes you don't sleep as well and sometimes you don't sleep. If you don't sleep well be aware of that. Call it quits when the sun sets. Worst thing is night driving (requiring extra alertness) when you're dead tired. If you can rest a few more hours before check out or call down and delay check out it may be worth it.

The LS stood out blatantly in every small town I went through. I got a lot of friendly looks. Some weren't very friendly. Try to park it somewhere very visible and well lit so nobody is tempted to take liberties and vandalize it. Some of the small towns I went through looked like recreational drugs, alcohol, wandering around and petty crime were common nighttime activites for the youth. Especially when coming back with your lady, be aware who's around at the gas station's and lock the doors always.

Buy yourself a good supply of water and good food to bring along for the ride. I found staying hydrated and properly nourished made all the difference in my moods. I say bring good food because you will have the opportunity to buy tasty junk at every gas station along the way. I took this opportunity and I loved it. Justify it however you have to but tasty treats are great for a roadtrip in between real food.

Having paper maps is a good idea. I don't have nav in my LS but I did use the GPS on my BBerry and sometimes a simple paper map is easier, simpler and more reliable.

Sometimes hotels offer cheaper rates to members and also if you check in after 7 or 9 or 10 or whatever time. Ask for discounts and sometimes they will give you more. Also the suggestion about staying where a real breakfast is offered is a great one. I did it every night and saved the task if finding breaky in the morning.

Passing will be one of your favourite things to do on this trip! Just be safe also!

If you have the choice of eating at a restaurant that might be questionable food quality but is convenient and "right there" vs taking a few extra minutes to find something safer for your digestive system, take the latter option. Luckily I was fine but I've heard of a friend stopping to use a washroom every half hour...horrible and kills your time.

Where possible, enjoy the unique scenery of where you're passing through. Having a camera handy will give your lady another thing to enjoy as you travel. On that note, this trip is an opportunity to strenghthen the relationship. Have her engaged in the maps, hotel choices, food choices and any logistics you can. Working together on small things actually created a lot of unexpected bonding for us. I passed through some scenic spots I thought would be boring. It's up to you how enjoyable it will ultimately be. Bring lots of variety of music you enjoy and this will cover all moods.

I'll end my nostalgic rant here but take care and enjoy, it will be a memorable experience. And there is no better vehicle for it!
Cheers!

Steve
Old 03-30-10, 03:36 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I say what the heck, try it. It can be fun and quite an experience. I traveled a bit on tour a few times. The US is a scenic place. Also, who knows the next time you'll be able to do so with your girlfriend riding with you across country. We only live once and your just 39, you have what it takes sir. L.G.N.M
Old 03-30-10, 04:07 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by SteveM
This thread is great! It's got some excellent suggestions and generally shows a huge faith in and passion for the LS430. I admire your choice to drive the trip. I bought my LS in mid Feb and drove it home (1900 miles) in 3 days and then drove between my home city and the city I currently study in a few times. In total I've put 3000K miles and change on her in just over a month (all highway travel).

Reading some of the above posts, certain things mentioned really hit home for me as certain factors that came into play on my travels. I thought I might just re-mention a few of them that I found most memorable.

First and foremost, with the car serviced you aren't needing to worry about that. I had the same done before I left LA to come up the I15 to Canada. That's important piece of mind. Now you know your land yacht is ready to sail.

On my trip I drove 8-12 hour days and if I stretched a bit here and there, and varied my seat position and hand position on the wheel a bit I was comfortable. I'm 26 and at your age I don't think the bodily comfort will come into play as others have validly mentioned. On cruise control the car is like a couch on wheels with a steering wheel.

An important thing I learned was to consciously plan how much driving to do during the day or into the night. Night driving requires significantly more effort by the driver to access the necessary information to drive safely on the highway, esspecially on unfamiliar roads. I found the night's to be very grueling sometimes. I strained my eyes to see curves far in advance, to watch for wildlife and to tell if wetness, sand or whatever was on the surface at any given time. The LS's headlamps are amazing, but they are not a replacement for sunlight. Everyone will think your brights are on!

Related to this issue of night driving is sleep. When you're on the road staying in random hotels, somtimes you sleep well and sometimes you don't sleep as well and sometimes you don't sleep. If you don't sleep well be aware of that. Call it quits when the sun sets. Worst thing is night driving (requiring extra alertness) when you're dead tired. If you can rest a few more hours before check out or call down and delay check out it may be worth it.

The LS stood out blatantly in every small town I went through. I got a lot of friendly looks. Some weren't very friendly. Try to park it somewhere very visible and well lit so nobody is tempted to take liberties and vandalize it. Some of the small towns I went through looked like recreational drugs, alcohol, wandering around and petty crime were common nighttime activites for the youth. Especially when coming back with your lady, be aware who's around at the gas station's and lock the doors always.

Buy yourself a good supply of water and good food to bring along for the ride. I found staying hydrated and properly nourished made all the difference in my moods. I say bring good food because you will have the opportunity to buy tasty junk at every gas station along the way. I took this opportunity and I loved it. Justify it however you have to but tasty treats are great for a roadtrip in between real food.

Having paper maps is a good idea. I don't have nav in my LS but I did use the GPS on my BBerry and sometimes a simple paper map is easier, simpler and more reliable.

Sometimes hotels offer cheaper rates to members and also if you check in after 7 or 9 or 10 or whatever time. Ask for discounts and sometimes they will give you more. Also the suggestion about staying where a real breakfast is offered is a great one. I did it every night and saved the task if finding breaky in the morning.

Passing will be one of your favourite things to do on this trip! Just be safe also!

If you have the choice of eating at a restaurant that might be questionable food quality but is convenient and "right there" vs taking a few extra minutes to find something safer for your digestive system, take the latter option. Luckily I was fine but I've heard of a friend stopping to use a washroom every half hour...horrible and kills your time.

Where possible, enjoy the unique scenery of where you're passing through. Having a camera handy will give your lady another thing to enjoy as you travel. On that note, this trip is an opportunity to strenghthen the relationship. Have her engaged in the maps, hotel choices, food choices and any logistics you can. Working together on small things actually created a lot of unexpected bonding for us. I passed through some scenic spots I thought would be boring. It's up to you how enjoyable it will ultimately be. Bring lots of variety of music you enjoy and this will cover all moods.

I'll end my nostalgic rant here but take care and enjoy, it will be a memorable experience. And there is no better vehicle for it!
Cheers!

Steve
Hey Steve! Excellent, excellent ideas! Also, thanks for sharing your perspective and experience with driving long distances! I don't mind driving a long distance...a 4 hr drive from Wilmington to Syracuse I will do in a heartbeat...and do it almost once a month. However, this is TOTALLY different. I have never even BEEN in some of these states actually, let alone drive on their interstates! That is what is so exciting, yet somewhat nerve yanking. I know I have the physical and mental capacity (altho some members may dispute that..lol) to drive for extended periods of 7-10 hours a day..but it's just the unknowns that make me nervous! But..what the heck..you only live once and I may never have this opportunity ever again, right?

It may sound weird and corny but the closer we get to the day to shove-off (Sunday, April 18th), the lonlier I feel...lol. No---I'm not a manic depressive or bipolar but I know it will be weird driving on roads and STATES I've never been on before.

As you described, the companion time that my GF or even my best (guy) friend will be very special. My best friend may make the drive with me from Texas to Washington State (LEG2). My GF most definitely wants to do LEG3 (sounds funny..lol) of the trip from Washington State back to Delaware.

I can't predict the future but I'm doing all I can and preparing to avoid issues and situations that will throw a monkey wrench in my travel plans. Again..getting a good night's rest, eating well, staying alert (I know what you mean about looking FARRR ahead up the road), etc.

At the very least, when on the road, and my friends/family are unable to gossip on the phone (you can only talk on cellphone for so long w/o getting a sore ear or hand because factory bluetooth will likely be unusable/noisey at 70+mph), I will always feel "obligated" to find a wireless hotspot (McDonalds!) and upload some of the trip's particulars.

Hopefully I'll keep my word and keep you guys up to date on the progress. I just can't promise multi-paragraphed detailed writings...lol...but I'll try my best.

I know it may sound corny, but thanks for sharing your experiences! It really helps me mentally, reading about other experiences. At the very least, it makes my seemingly gigantic task more managable and achievable.

Btw....at work last week, a customer (older guy in his late 40's) told me about his experience driving a MOTORCYCLE cross country...Maryland to Phoenix, Az!!! The way his face lit up when describing all his experiences was incredible. Also, hearing that someone did that voyage on a 2 wheeled motorcycle made me "appreciate" the luxury land yacht that I'll be cruising in. "Like a couch on wheels!" LOL! LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: cross country trip, AND BACK in the LS430