LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

invasion of privacy

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-10, 04:21 AM
David M
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default invasion of privacy

I just found in my 2006 owners manual where the car logs things like max speed, whether everyone had seat belts fastened, and so on. How can I disable THAT <censored>? I do NOT want that at all.
Old 03-13-10, 05:03 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

All cars have that "feature" now and the automakers claim they own the data. If you crash the car and sue them, they will use the data to try to prove that you were operating the vehicle in an unsafe manner.

Look at the bright side, Lexus no longer uses OnStar to broadcast the information to the automaker. I used to receive a monthly email diagnostic report from OnStar on my newer Cadillacs. The email would arrive on the first day of the month that I drove the vehicle. It was actually a nice feature. The ability to call OnStar when the check engine light turned on and have them read me the codes was also useful. (Especially on a Caddy. LOL) However, when I called them about a voice recognition problem and they thanked me for wearing my seatbelt, that was spooky.
Old 03-15-10, 07:21 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by David M
I just found in my 2006 owners manual where the car logs things like max speed, whether everyone had seat belts fastened, and so on. How can I disable THAT <censored>? I do NOT want that at all.
I don't recall seeing that in my 05 manual. Nothing in the factory electrical manual on that, either, so I guess that's a new "feature" for 06. Don't worry...the NHTSA is now talking about requiring "black boxes" for all cars in the future, so they will know every engine input as well as full telemetry (how the steering was turned and when, how fast you were accelerating/driving, meaning they know where you were going and when!).
Old 03-15-10, 07:34 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont have that feature on my 2001 LS430 to my knowledge but, it is a great feature to have from how it sounds.

I just think its about safety as well, I feel David M also on the other hand its a little BIG BROTHER like but, can also help David in the most unthinkable situations. Sometimes the very things we dont want turn around and help us but, I see were David M is coming from. As time goes on privacy will exist less and less. Your phones are already legally able to be taped if they suspect you have done wrong in any capacity due to the Patriot Act as well. So a car that records this info is just the tip of the iceberg.

Dont get me wrong Im with you David M and agree with you, Im saying just like all the other things we have to deal with in a more one world living we have to adjust and cars are going along for the ride. I dont like the fact we cant pick/decline this feature( I like it myself for me) because its forced on customers like you who dont desire it but, hey it is what it is. I feel you David M it sucks not to be given a choice!!! L.G.N.M

Last edited by usermel; 03-15-10 at 07:38 AM. Reason: many
Old 03-15-10, 07:56 AM
David M
Driver

It's enough to make me want to sell the car.
Old 03-15-10, 08:03 AM
CG lover
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hopefully Toyota can see the data on their cars that have been involved with the acceleration and braking issues and figure the cause,,

or will we find out those items were not part of the captured data,,

Derry
Old 03-15-10, 09:46 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Smile I feel you fellow member!!

Don't let it get you down to much about it. You have a great car buddy. Just drive and enjoy. L.G.N.M
Old 03-15-10, 11:45 AM
Rice
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
I don't recall seeing that in my 05 manual. Nothing in the factory electrical manual on that, either, so I guess that's a new "feature" for 06. Don't worry...the NHTSA is now talking about requiring "black boxes" for all cars in the future, so they will know every engine input as well as full telemetry (how the steering was turned and when, how fast you were accelerating/driving, meaning they know where you were going and when!).
Did you know that not all countries have mandatory insurance coverage? Much less black boxes in cars?
I travel a lot and see that in most places, people rely on their own reason and wits to survive. Here, in the US, lawyers have taken it upon themselves to "look out for us".
I am thoroughly disgusted with the whole thing.
People who don't know that spilling hot liquid on oneself will burn them do not deserve to live and procreate.
Old 03-15-10, 01:26 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Every car out there will have it. It used in cases involving murder to determine who is at fault. It might come to your aid if the car were to record something that might save your case (ran over someone, or any other accident involving serious injury.)

Originally Posted by Rice
Did you know that not all countries have mandatory insurance coverage? Much less black boxes in cars?
I travel a lot and see that in most places, people rely on their own reason and wits to survive. Here, in the US, lawyers have taken it upon themselves to "look out for us".
I am thoroughly disgusted with the whole thing.
People who don't know that spilling hot liquid on oneself will burn them do not deserve to live and procreate.

The second case about hot liquid has been explained plenty of times, and its not as simple as you may think. I will attest that in countries where laws are not as tough on automakers, you'd be surprised to see what they do to try and get away with things (ex. 2005+ cars without airbags.)
Its a double edged sword.
Old 03-15-10, 02:06 PM
Rice
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Every car out there will have it. It used in cases involving murder to determine who is at fault. It might come to your aid if the car were to record something that might save your case (ran over someone, or any other accident involving serious injury.)

The second case about hot liquid has been explained plenty of times, and its not as simple as you may think. I will attest that in countries where laws are not as tough on automakers, you'd be surprised to see what they do to try and get away with things (ex. 2005+ cars without airbags.)
Its a double edged sword.
You are right.
It isn't quite as simple as I have portrayed id.
However, it shouldn't be too complicated either. If Toyota makes unsafe cars, it will be out of business. If someone gets hurt due to negligence and greed of a big corporation, they should be compensated. This is not too complicated.

The problem with creating gray areas is that you then have to pay people to navigate them. These costs inevitably get passed down to the consumers.
I really don't want to be forced to pay someone to tell me that I should not be driving with my head up my ****.
I also don't want for someone to know whether I am wearing a seat belt, where I am going, etc...
I don't want OnStar or some other such service tell me; 'Mr. Rice, you've been driving too fast and not wearing your seat belt. You've been a naughty boy... Remember, in case *****, it will be used against you...'

I shouldn't even care really, b/c I hardly ever drive any more and when I do, I don't speed and wear my seat belt
Old 03-15-10, 02:33 PM
slvrboolet
Lexus Champion

Lexus would crap themselves if they could see how fast i have been in my IS haha.
Old 03-15-10, 02:41 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

What Rice said in his last comment was funny. I guess its how you see it as an individual. Both points are correct and I think what we are losing and its been lost is privacy and choice. We no longer can decide what we want and thats what Rice's frustration is. Even if your not speeding and wear your seat belt I and nobody has the right to know your every move unless you as a adult opt for it.

Onstar and other services seem to be BIG Brother hidden!! HHAHAHA! Oh well, "These Are The Breaks" in the words of rapper Kurtis Blow!! L.G.N.M

Last edited by usermel; 03-15-10 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-15-10, 03:05 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

This works both ways. Like Rice say, this can help you or hurts depending on the situation. We don't know what level of detail is being recorded by Toyota/Lexus. This is the cost or benefit of new cars depending on how you see this.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/in...blackbox_x.htm
Old 03-15-10, 08:34 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by usermel
but, I see were David M is coming from. As time goes on privacy will exist less and less. Your phones are already legally able to be taped if they suspect you have done wrong in any capacity due to the Patriot Act as well. So a car that records this info is just the tip of the iceberg.

BTW, diverging off-topic, but attorney-client priveledge does NOT hold if either party is on a wireless line. Both must be on hard (land-wired) lines (ie, phones with cords plugged into walls!). Voice/data over wireless is considered public domain (ie, one's bluetooth calls).
Old 03-16-10, 06:45 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Seems to me this is only an issue if you are knowingly doing something wrong and you would like to keep it concealed.

Isn't morality the real issue?

Quick Reply: invasion of privacy