LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

another " Is this a good deal" thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-10, 02:58 PM
aslowdodge
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default another " Is this a good deal" thread

Hey everyone. I am looking at a Ls 430 pretty much with every option inc lux package. Only thing it doesn't have is upgraded wheeels. They are asking $17,500 from a small dealer ( not lexus ) at 82K miles. I am going to look at the car in just a bit. From the pix it looks good, but anything else I should know? When is the major service due on it as if it is close I will use to negotiate.
It seems like a good deal, but is there something I should look for? I had a GS 400 which was a great car-pretty much bulletproof. Hoping this car is too.
Old 03-17-10, 03:04 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

what year is it ??
Old 03-17-10, 03:08 PM
aslowdodge
Pit Crew

oops sorry 2002
Old 03-17-10, 03:08 PM
aslowdodge
Pit Crew

BTW when is the timing belt service supposed to be?
Old 03-17-10, 04:25 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Timing belt and water pump (big bucks) are at 90K. $17.5K seems high to me.
Old 03-17-10, 04:41 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The 90k service at a Lexus dealer will be $ 1400, don't be shocked !
Old 03-17-10, 05:25 PM
aslowdodge
Pit Crew

blue book has it at $17, 815 for good cond. Do you guys think this is off? I wasn't able to find out if there are any service records. Everything seemed fine and at the price I haven't seen anything close.

I do have some questions.

On the height adjustment I pushed the switch and felt or saw nothing. Isn't it supposed to go up or down?

How do I know if the ride selector is working? It shows a light on the dash if in sport mode, but how else can I tell?

On the individual seat temp controls, on cool should I feel air coming out?

Right next to the vsc switch there is a button to the right of it. Is that a master switch to turn of rear seat controls? Is there an indicator light that comes on if you set it?

It needs a new driver's side visor. Also the power mirror on left only goes 3 ways instead of 4. I'm thinking switch because the right hand side works sporadically- like maybe 80% of the time.

How do you get the voice to work on the navigation? I couldn't figure it out.

I got the carfax, looks clean. Is there a way I can access Lexus' site and punch in the vin number to see if it was serviced?

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 03-17-10, 05:54 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Do a search on service history as there have been a number of recent threads about getting the service history from lexus.com. The cool air from the seat is often weak, and I don't think you can feel it with your hand. If it is important to you, take it for a long drive and see what you feel. I don't know about UL specifics.
Old 03-17-10, 06:54 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The price is way too high for an 8 year old LS with over 80k miles. The real market value for that car is around $14k, maybe $15k with a full service history needing no work at all.
Old 03-17-10, 07:27 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Based on what I just paid for a 2005 with 90k miles, I'd agree that the price is too high. Even though mine is only the premium package, with 18" wheels and a couple of other extras, I got the 90k mile service (TB/WP etc) included in the selling price of around $18k. From what I've read here, the mirror problem has the potential to run you $1500 if you find out that you have to replace them...
Old 03-18-10, 03:57 PM
aslowdodge
Pit Crew

What am I missing. It seems all the LS430's are priced much higher than what everyone here says they are worth. The car I looked at sold after I looked at it for $16,500. There was no service history or record of timing belts or major service.

I looked at a 2002 with UL pkg 50K miles for $23,000.
I looked at a 2005 with L pkg and chrome wheels 50K miles for $26,000.
I looked at a 2002 with L pkg 85K miles for $16,000 some flaws in trim
I looked at a 2003 base no nav 127K miles for $16,700.

all were from small independent dealers and none had records.
So maybe this car was the best deal out there?

What do you think?
Old 03-18-10, 07:01 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would start looking at post facelift 04-06. They are selling in the low $20's with average mileage. Start looking at Lexus dealers, on autotrader, and ebaymotors. You could easily find one in CA.
Old 03-18-10, 07:46 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Just be careful. You can certainly get lower price cars from small dealers as long as you know exactly what you are buying - buy with your eyes wide open and know what it means to accept the risk of no service history on a high mileage car and an expensive car like an LS 430.

Even a bullet proof car like an LS can be a serious money pit if you buy a neglected or abused one. Any dealer can spend a day detailing a car, dyeing the seats, spray painting the carpet, generally buffing up an abused or neglected car to make it look pretty good even under close but cursory examination. It is only when you buy it and live with it for a month or so that the real condition of the car becomes evident.

My advice is that if you cannot verify or see documented service history on a car with 80k miles you need to run in the other direction. You are correct that lots of people will buy a car with no service history and without have it inspected - but you don't have to be a fish (like the dealer needs and expects you to be) if you stay patient and buy smart.

If its an auction car ask yourself why did this car end up at a small dealer? And why is there no service history for an ultra expensive luxury car, etc, etc

Last edited by Jabberwock; 03-18-10 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-18-10, 09:02 PM
aslowdodge
Pit Crew

I guess what I am seeing is the prices are high for cars that have no service histories. Heck, based on what people say here they are high for cars with histories. Lowest priced I saw at lexus was $27K for a 2005 with 66,500 miles. Does that sound like a fair price? If not what can it be gotten for?
Old 03-18-10, 09:56 PM
Cheesaleo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

too much for an 05' for $27k [No Way] unless your that desprate...try to see if you can find a 04-06 for $20k with the nav. Never mind if the wheels are 17inch...Wheels can always be changed in the future. To be honest I found an 04' with 66kmi for $18500. No accidents and only one minor pen-head ding near the gas tank door, although it took me about 40days to find one at a good price, but it was well worth the wait...Get it and enjoy it.

Quick Reply: another " Is this a good deal" thread