LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 - Home from Rehab and Clean

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-10, 02:43 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
I know this is not on topic but how do those goodyear rsa's ride? Replacing my noisy Hancooks soon and wanted different opinions on different tires.
I would advise against them. They are brand new (dealer put them on) and ride OK for now. If they are like the GY RSAs that were on my SRX when new, by 12K miles they will be noisy, thumpy, and have lousy wet traction.
Old 03-28-10, 04:18 PM
tcbted
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on bringing her "back to life".

I had similar scratches to your quarter panel scrapes when I picked up my 04 LS430. They were all below the beltline, at different heights and depths.
Because they were all low down, I just had a mobile paint shop repair them.
Not as professional as your approach, but it still worked out fine.
I was on a very tight budget.

I often wondered if my car was simply too large for the previous owner.

I very much respect your efforts to properly restore the finish of a beautiful car.
Well done!
Old 03-28-10, 05:14 PM
SteveM
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to see that this turned out nicely. I like the Flint Mica more and more as I look at it (not that I ever didn't). Contrasts nicely with the chrome also. This car is analogous to a great family pet saved from a neglectful owner. They always love you that much more for saving them.
Old 03-28-10, 06:50 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks to be a nice job, how about some full body pics? Was this a full paintover, or just the panels that needed work? If just panels, did the paint match up nicely?
Old 03-28-10, 07:07 PM
Ventura
Driver School Candidate

Nice looking car. You were very smart going with a known source for the repairs. Saving a few bucks and winding up with grief is not worth it. Nice mileage also. The front looks super without the license holder. Wish we could do that here in “The Peoples Republic of California”.
Old 03-28-10, 07:17 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Looks to be a nice job, how about some full body pics? Was this a full paintover, or just the panels that needed work? If just panels, did the paint match up nicely?
Painted:
- Front bumper cover
- RF fender (because the other three panels on that side needed work)
- RF door
- RR door
- RR quarter panel
- Rear bumper cover
- Trunk lid

Color difference, if any, is undetectable where repainted and non-repainted panels meet. They said the left side had some paint in the past, too. (There was a dent removal in the service history.)
Old 03-28-10, 08:44 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
I would advise against them. They are brand new (dealer put them on) and ride OK for now. If they are like the GY RSAs that were on my SRX when new, by 12K miles they will be noisy, thumpy, and have lousy wet traction.
CAR LOOKS FANTASTIC! Now with the total fix-up will probably come the nervousness that comes with parking in PUBLIC AREAS. If I can quickly comment on the GY RS-A's...I agree they are JUNK. My parents had them on their 2005 Buick Century. They will also last about 1/2 as long as other tires costing similar. (their treadwear on 245/45/18 is a lousy 260.)

I've always thought GY's were the worst of both worlds---overpriced AND underperformed (quickly wearing, noisey, medicore wet/dry grip). I concur with your assessment on them.

Congrats again on the rehabilitated LS! Curious...any plans on tint?
Old 03-28-10, 11:28 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 115 Likes on 54 Posts

wow, the car looks fantastic! glad to see how well the car looks after all that hard work!
Old 03-29-10, 02:35 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That Trunk just kills me. Out of all things that could be damaged, "she" damaged the trunk.

My 2003 only has one ding on it behind the drivers side rear door (probably from a Walmart parking lot). No scratches, no dents. Makes me wonder how some people do it, especially with parking sensors.
Old 03-29-10, 05:28 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
... Congrats again on the rehabilitated LS! Curious...any plans on tint?
Thanks to all for the kind words. I haven't really considered tint, but I doubt I'll do it. The only exterior mods I plan are a set of silver painted winter wheels and winter tires. (probably Michelin X-Ice) When I buy those next fall, I will have the tire store swap tires on the scratched LR with the clean spare wheel. I'll live with the bit of curb rash on the other wheels. If the car would have come with silver wheels, I would have put the winter tires on those and bought nicer wheels for the summer. However, running chrome wheels in the winter is just asking for them to look awful, even if I do leave the car home on the nastiest days.

The interior will get the center console box installed, probably after Easter.
Old 03-29-10, 06:37 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Looks great!
Old 03-29-10, 10:25 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Your LS has a new "bill of health" now that it's under your care

Originally Posted by Ventura
The front looks super without the license holder. Wish we could do that here in “The Peoples Republic of California”.
I agree
CA is getting desperate so I finally installed my front plate. Just another excuse to get a petty fine
Old 03-30-10, 03:36 AM
xuserx04
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

WOW $1,163 for 30k service

anyways car looks great now
Old 03-30-10, 04:40 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xuserx04
WOW $1,163 for 30k service

anyways car looks great now
The $30K service was about $470. I also had the dealer replace the left steering wheel switch (station up / band / down); provide, cut, and program a new master key; and change the cabin air filter.
Old 03-30-10, 10:11 AM
SteveM
Driver

Caddy,

Just a quick question for you. I'm getting my front plate holder (CA car) taken off soon and will also want to deal with those holes. Do you know what process they use to do this? Is it just the holes filled and painted over somehow or is it going to require my whole bumper be painted?

Thanks

Quick Reply: LS430 - Home from Rehab and Clean