blinking navi locator

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-10, 08:58 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
What version does a 2001 LS430 have?

I'm almost positive that my 2003 LS430 uses a more updated system than a 2001... there are threads on it around here somewhere. Hopefully someone can chime in on this.
2001 LS430 is Generation 2 (Gen2) hardware in the vehicle. 2002 & 2003 LS430 is Generation 3 (Gen3) hardware in the vehicle.

Interestingly enough, they both use the same MAP version/disk! The part # for the disk is the same.

My take on that would be the maps would look identical (on an 01 and 02) on the screen, but the electronics/cpu/headunit/drive/whatever you want to call the brains in the trunk, is different.
Old 04-02-10, 09:38 AM
LSUltraLux
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Blinkin navi

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
I am sure it's not supposed to blink. It's also not supposed to lose signal often, although that is dependent all on WHERE you're driving it. As Jim already asked, I was going to ask you if you have any tint on the windows but you already replied, no.

Do you ever lose signal in a wide open area, standing still? Do you always lose signal in the same area or random areas when you lose signal? Has the car ever had physical or water damage in the trunk area? If the 01 is like the 05, the nav electronics are on the passenger side of the trunk, under a panel.

If I were you, I'd spend about 30 minutes and gain access to the nav unit, then, with the car not on, disconnect and reconnect all connectors/harnesses/plugs several times.

Also, do you know for a fact the nav antenna is on the roof? I thought the antenna was in the dash. Is your dashboard cluttered by anything by chance? (notebooks, clipboards, etc?)
Originally Posted by JimsGX
I wonder if there's a configuration page in the NAV that allows you to change the setting for how your position is displayed. Blinking may be an "option" as opposed to solid. Especially if its tracking properly all the time...
Originally Posted by jayclapp
The antenna on the rear roof is not for the nav system.

a blinking nav system light? Doesn't sould like anything I've ever read or heard about. My guess is that something is wrong and this is a warning. I'd check with my local Lexus dealer. Just my opinion.

to: LS430inDE
I believe I do lose signal in open areas, where the GPS logo will disappear, and then randomly appear again. I do lose signal when I don't have a clear view of the sky, but that's normal. I also lose it in open areas, which I can't explain. I checked the gps in the trunk. Everything looked brand new, no water damage. I don't really know where the gps antenna is. I thought it was on the roof, but I could be mistaken. Either way, my dash is completely clear, with nothing on it, except the XM receiver above the right front tweeter.

to: JimsGX
I don't think it's an option. I went to that screen, played around in there as best I could. There's a tab that's called Location. I press it and it takes you to the map and shows that I'm in DC, then takes me back to my location. There's another option, that just shows the latitude and longitude, and nothing else. I may not be doing something right to correct the problem in there, however, I'm pretty sure the blinking is not an option but a message that says something is wrong.

to: jayclapp
I'm planning on taking it to the Lexus dealer to have them diagnose the problem. I can just hear it now: "Oh, this problem. All you need is a new nav drive in the trunk. That will just cost you $2K." I just hate it when they charge you for an hour of labor, and don't really tell you anything except what you already knew, like "there's definitely a problem". I already knew that, that's why I'm here!
Old 04-02-10, 11:33 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you try the recalibrate option? I think there's a way to reboot these things too, so its wipes out everything stored and starts from scratch. Simply turning the car off doesn't accomplish this.
Old 04-02-10, 11:36 AM
LSUltraLux
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation

Did you try the recalibrate option? I think there's a way to reboot these things too, so its wipes out everything stored and starts from scratch. Simply turning the car off doesn't accomplish this.
I haven't tried that. I don't really want to unplug the drive in the trunk. Is there a way to do that in the hidden menu? There's a way to dump old info, but I don't know what that does. Any ideas?
Old 04-02-10, 12:21 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have the original Navigation booklet that came with the car when it was new? The instructions would be in there. Alternatively, if you login to the "My Lexus" portion of Lexus.com, the Navigation Manual will be available on there for your 2001...

Here's a link to the login page: https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home

You'll need to register and have your VIN handy. Once in, you can look up all the service history for your car (that was performed at a Lexus dealer). Plus have access to all the manuals for your 2001...
Old 04-02-10, 01:10 PM
LSUltraLux
Driver School Candidate

Do you have the original Navigation booklet that came with the car when it was new? The instructions would be in there. Alternatively, if you login to the "My Lexus" portion of Lexus.com, the Navigation Manual will be available on there for your 2001...

Here's a link to the login page: https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home

You'll need to register and have your VIN handy. Once in, you can look up all the service history for your car (that was performed at a Lexus dealer). Plus have access to all the manuals for your 2001...
I have the manual for the nav, there's nothing in there the troubleshoots problems as far as I can remember, but I will check again. Thanks.
Old 04-02-10, 01:55 PM
jayrodclg
Driver School Candidate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xav7KLfO2I

look at 3:21 it shows it in the original promotional video. mine is the same way, i guess its supposed to do that.
Old 04-02-10, 02:26 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I've always noticed it blinked on 01 (gen2) navi models. I think its normal for that year.
Old 04-02-10, 02:58 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
I've always noticed it blinked on 01 (gen2) navi models. I think its normal for that year.
Geez! Where have you been all this time then!?

If you guys say it's normal that the icon blinks like that, then I guess that IS normal..but that just doesn't seem intuitative nor normal to my eyes.

A blinking indicator, to me, is an attempt to draw an extra-ordinary amount of attention to a situation.
Old 04-03-10, 04:17 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree- Im assuming they changed it in the later model years because they felt that way too. It would drive me nuts- no reason for anything blink unless there is a need to call attention to itself. bad design IMHO
Old 04-05-10, 09:25 AM
LSUltraLux
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation Blinkin navi

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
Geez! Where have you been all this time then!?

If you guys say it's normal that the icon blinks like that, then I guess that IS normal..but that just doesn't seem intuitative nor normal to my eyes.

A blinking indicator, to me, is an attempt to draw an extra-ordinary amount of attention to a situation.
I agree, and still don't think it's supposed to do that. It does attract my attention, and there's got to be a reason for that. You guys are all LS owners. Does the car bother you, AT ALL, for any reason, unless there is a reason? I don't think so. I will get to the bottom of this issue, and let you guys know what I find out. I hope this is not a Lexus flaw because they usually do so well.
Old 04-05-10, 09:27 AM
LSUltraLux
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation Blinkin navi

Originally Posted by jayrodclg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xav7KLfO2I

look at 3:21 it shows it in the original promotional video. mine is the same way, i guess its supposed to do that.
I just watched that, but if you look under the where the North header is, that's where the little GPS signal icon is supposed to be. It's not there, so I assume it's blinking to tell him there's no signal. I've never seen that video. Thanks.
Old 04-07-10, 09:26 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
I agree- Im assuming they changed it in the later model years because they felt that way too. It would drive me nuts- no reason for anything blink unless there is a need to call attention to itself. bad design IMHO
Correct. In the 04-06 lineup, the indicator (under normal satellite signal conditions) does not blink.

I have an 05 w/nav and I don't think I've ever seen the icon blink...
Old 04-08-10, 11:51 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 154 Posts

I've never seen the icon blink in my 02UL (Gen3). When I don't have GPS signal (i.e. in garage or underground), the GPS icon is grey. When GPS lock is acquired, it lights up blue.
Old 04-08-10, 02:43 PM
LSUltraLux
Driver School Candidate

Post Blinkin navi

Originally Posted by StanVanDam
I've never seen the icon blink in my 02UL (Gen3). When I don't have GPS signal (i.e. in garage or underground), the GPS icon is grey. When GPS lock is acquired, it lights up blue.
I really don't think it's supposed to blink, but I've never seen my locator icon go gray either. I have a GPS icon that just disappears when I don't have a signal, and it's not blue. It's red, and blinking. Oh, this sucks. Only with my luck can I have a problem that none of the LS owners across the country can't resolve, or explain. I really appreciate all of you guys' help!

Quick Reply: blinking navi locator