LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Smart Access Keys

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-10, 05:07 PM
tam4G63
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smart Access Keys

2006 LS430 UL - Hey Guys, I can't get the door handle smart button to unlock the door without pushing the unlock button on the key itself. I read the manual, did the hold down lock and trunk button, programmed it to beep once for drivers door. Still it only locks and does not unlock, I double check the button under the kick panel and key switch is on. Any body have any idea how to or procedure to get handle smart button to work as unlock also?

On the G37 I can just hit the button to lock or unlock.

Thank You
Old 03-30-10, 05:15 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by tam4G63
2006 LS430 UL - Hey Guys, I can't get the door handle smart button to unlock the door without pushing the unlock button on the key itself. I read the manual, did the hold down lock and trunk button, programmed it to beep once for drivers door. Still it only locks and does not unlock, I double check the button under the kick panel and key switch is on. Any body have any idea how to or procedure to get handle smart button to work as unlock also?

On the G37 I can just hit the button to lock or unlock.

Thank You
I want to try to help but don't understand with how you worded the question. Can you rephrase the question?
Old 03-30-10, 05:44 PM
VIP430
Driver School Candidate

If you have already turned the smart button key switch on underneth the dash and it still dosent work, you may have to take it to the dealership and try getting the key reprogrammed. If you have only tried the driver door you may want to try the other doors, just to make shure its not just the driver door sensor not working. Also I find on mine that if you lock the door and dont walk away sometimes the smart key will not work. I hope this helps...
Old 03-30-10, 05:58 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have this problem with ours as well!

The smartkey will not unlock the car unless I press the unlock button on the key. The car is still "keyless" because you can turn the **** though...its frustrating and we're taking it to the dealer to have it looked at because I've fussed with turning the system on and off to no avail...
Old 03-30-10, 06:08 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by IStoSC
I have this problem with ours as well!

The smartkey will not unlock the car unless I press the unlock button on the key. The car is still "keyless" because you can turn the **** though...its frustrating and we're taking it to the dealer to have it looked at because I've fussed with turning the system on and off to no avail...
Have you ever changed the battery in the smartkey? It's a CR2032 and a 2-pack can be bought at Radio Shack or drug store for like $5. It was the FIRST thing I bought for my LS after I took ownership. I had no idea how many times the previous owner used the buttons, etc. I changed them on both of my keys. You won't lose any programming on the key, but obviously the battery has polarity (+ and -) Make sure you insert the new battery the right way or it won't work.

You can't use the mindset of "the keyfob unlocks and locks the doors with by pushing the buttons on the fob, so the keyfob is good."

When you push a button on the smartkey-keyfob, it obviously sends an IMMEDIATE (and stronger) signal to the receiver in the car. In addition to this, the smartkey-keyfob is CONSTANTLY emitting a small amount of signal! It is THIS constant emission/signal that makes the key a "smart" key. It works by proximity---meaning---you get close enough to the car for the receiver to "see" your keyfob and then it prepares to unlocks doors-then does, when you slowly grab the handle, prepares to unlock the trunk-then does, when you push up on the button under the trunklid, etc!

There may not be enough battery to power the keyfob in this "constant" mode of transmitting a signal!

I hope this helps.

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 04-03-10 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-02-10, 01:59 PM
Nick T
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

tam4g63,

If I understand you correctly, you are trying to press the button on the door handle to unlock the car ?... With Smartkey, just pull on the handle and the door will unlock. You can set personal preference if all 4 doors unlock, only the 2 left doors unlock etc etc.
Old 04-02-10, 03:49 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

I agree.

To lock the car push the door handle button and it will lock, signaling by one beep and a flash of the parking lights.

To unlock the car just grab the handle and it will unlock, but you may have a slight pause until it signals by two beeps and a flash of the parking lights. Don't pull the handle until you hear it unlock or it signals to you.
Old 04-02-10, 08:49 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick T
tam4g63,

If I understand you correctly, you are trying to press the button on the door handle to unlock the car ?... With Smartkey, just pull on the handle and the door will unlock. You can set personal preference if all 4 doors unlock, only the 2 left doors unlock etc etc.
x2. Just firmly grab the door handle. There's a sensor on the back side that detects your fingers and unlock the door(s). That should work on any door regardless of which doors you programmed to open w/ one push of the unlock button on the remote fob. If, say, only your driver door will open with one push, if you grab any other door handle other than the driver's door, you should hear two beeps and all doors should unlock. If you grab the driver's door, only the ones you programmed to open with one button press will unlock. If none of this works, check to make sure the smart key button is not pushed in (there are two buttons next to the beep volume **** just above the driver's right knee and facing downwards. The forward most button is the key button (should be out for the smart key to be 'on').
Old 04-03-10, 08:26 PM
tam4G63
Driver

Originally Posted by Nick T
tam4g63,

YES! that does work, Thank You.
Old 04-05-10, 09:00 AM
Nick T
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Jim Chow and Jayclapp actually gave much better directions

Originally Posted by tam4G63
YES! that does work, Thank You.
Old 04-05-10, 09:10 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

This thread is a good reminder that if I ever loan my car to someone, I need to review this functionality with them. Either that, or just give them the valet key.

Who am I kidding? If they aren't happy borrowing my chore truck, they can walk.