LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

04-06 Sealed Transmission fluid change interval? (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-15, 11:24 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Funny what service advisors say. They have no clue what they talking about 80% of the time. They are like the salesman of the service departments. The only thing the service laptop tells them is the temp of the transmission. Fluid level must be manually checked via the overflow port. It's not possible to get 5 quarts out unless they used a pumping machine. You only get about 2.5 - 3 on a drain and refill. That is the amount that is in the pan.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 10-13-15 at 11:29 PM.
Old 12-18-15, 06:39 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

My Lexus I just bought is at 107,000. I'm going to jack up the car (front and back), run the car a bit to heat the transmission fluid to proper temperature, check using a infrared thermometer on the transmission pan, and then open the overflow plug to see if any fluid comes out. If not I'm going to add until it some trickles out.

That way when I start my drain and fill I know that I'm at the proper level.
Old 12-18-15, 06:44 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tradosauru
My Lexus I just bought is at 107,000. I'm going to jack up the car (front and back), run the car a bit to heat the transmission fluid to proper temperature, check using a infrared thermometer on the transmission pan, and then open the overflow plug to see if any fluid comes out. If not I'm going to add until it some trickles out.

That way when I start my drain and fill I know that I'm at the proper level.
You know if you just put the front up you will get 1 - 2 more quarts out due to the angle. Although not exactly the proper way in the manual but if you measure the amount of fluid removed you can pump this same amount back. Just account for the little loss coating the container. You really just need to get to the proper temp when measuring the full level not when draining. This of course should be done with the car level. There is also a way to do this manually if you look on the first page and the technical instructions.

This is also something that is very useful.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Version-...990997&vxp=mtr

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ingertips.html

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 12-18-15 at 06:49 AM.
Old 12-18-15, 06:52 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

The problem is that the transmission could be under filled and I wouldn't know it by just draining out fluid. I have to start with a full transmission.

That software and diagnostic cable is coming from China. I wonder what the shipping time would be?
Old 12-18-15, 06:54 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

You still need to follow the procedure to check full level. Measuring the fluid is more of a baseline. You use the overflow port to check if it is full. Believe me, if you were under-filled the transmission would not shift well. They are very sensitive to fluid level.
Old 12-18-15, 06:56 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
You still need to follow the procedure to check full level. Measuring the fluid is more of a baseline. You use the overflow port to check if it is full. Believe me, if you were under-filled the transmission would not shift well. They are very sensitive to fluid level.
I think you and I are saying the same thing. I have instructions for ATF adjustment on the Lexus LS430.
Old 12-18-15, 07:12 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Search eBay or Amazon for Techstream. I'm sure there are local vendors as well. It is a fantastic tool and works for any Toyota (Lexus & Scion) 96 and above.
Old 12-24-15, 12:28 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

I'm in the process of checking my transmission fluid. I thought there was an overflow tube where the drain plug is positioned. If so this would mean i can open the drain plug until I see a trickle of fluid and know there is the proper amount of fluid in the pan.
But what if there is no tube and I assumed wrong? My transmission would be toast.
Can anyone verify if there is an overflow tube?
The attached is the document I found on this forum.
Edited. The drain plug is separate from the overflow plug. Overflow plug is to check the level at operating temperature.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ATF Adjustment.pdf (77.5 KB, 893 views)

Last edited by tradosauru; 01-01-16 at 03:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tradosauru:
broken4dr (01-08-17), LudeAEM (02-12-17)
Old 01-01-16, 03:00 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

I'm in the process of checking my transmission fluid. I thought there was an overflow tube where the drain plug is positioned. If so this would mean i can open the drain plug until I see a trickle of fluid and know there is the proper amount of fluid in the pan.
But what if there is no tube and I assumed wrong? My transmission would be toast.
Can anyone verify if there is an overflow tube?
The attached is the document I found on this forum.
You should't open the drain plug to check the proper fluid level but rather open an overflow plug. Overflow tube is at overflow plug. All this while car is idling and you have already shifted through gears to make sure fluid is in the system as well as fluid is in the right temp range. Check he PDF you posted again.
Old 01-01-16, 03:10 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430
You should't open the drain plug to check the proper fluid level but rather open an overflow plug. Overflow tube is at overflow plug. All this while car is idling and you have already shifted through gears to make sure fluid is in the system as well as fluid is in the right temp range. Check he PDF you posted again.
Yes. Thanks. I edited the post above so as not to confuse anyone.

Most people that do a drain and fill don't check the overflow plug when the car is level and at proper temperature to know if the transmission is under or over filled.
Old 01-06-16, 01:50 PM
gebo
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

It seems some people get confused about which is the overflow plug. Mine takes a 5 mm hex wrench to loosen and it is on the passenger side of the pan. FWIW
Old 01-18-16, 11:06 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

So I decided to celebrate MLK Jr. holiday by performing a drain and fill.
I drove my car on ramps and then jacked the back end of the car at the "pumpkin" and supported the back with jack stands.
I put a magnetic level on the bottom of the transmission pan to verify the car was level.
Using a 14 mm socket I opened up the transmission drain plug and got out a little over 2 qts of fluid. Very dark looking. I was surprised I only got 2 qts out as I was expecting about 3 qts.
The transmission fluid was cold as I didn't feel the need to warm up the car.
I think whoever designed the cover that fits over the transmission fill plug is a sadistic a-hole. The top bolt on the cover took me 30 minutes to get back on.
After draining I installed the drain plug and using a 5 mm hex tool opened up the overflow plug which is near the drain plug.
As I finished putting the first bottle I saw some transmission fluid coming out of the overflow hole. WTF? I thought you should get at least 2 qts out on a drain and fill when the transmission is at its proper level?
Anywho I put the overflow plug back in and put in a total of 2 qts.
I thought about getting the transmission fluid temp to 120F and then checking the overflow plug but I chickened out. So far the car has driven fine with same fluid level.
Attached Thumbnails 04-06 Sealed Transmission fluid change interval? (The Mother thread)-jan_2016_drain_fill_d.jpg   04-06 Sealed Transmission fluid change interval? (The Mother thread)-jan_2016_drain_fill_c.jpg   04-06 Sealed Transmission fluid change interval? (The Mother thread)-jan_2016_drain_fill_b.jpg   04-06 Sealed Transmission fluid change interval? (The Mother thread)-jan_2016_drain_fill_a.jpg  

Last edited by tradosauru; 01-18-16 at 11:15 AM. Reason: cuz i want to
Old 01-18-16, 11:24 AM
abbyNormal
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I decided to celebrate MLK Jr. holiday by performing a drain and fill.
I drove my car on ramps and then jacked the back end of the car at the "pumpkin" and supported the back with jack stands.
I put a magnetic level on the bottom of the transmission pan to verify the car was level.
Using a 14 mm socket I opened up the transmission drain plug and got out a little over 2 qts of fluid. Very dark looking. I was surprised I only got 2 qts out as I was expecting about 3 qts.
I usually get just under 2 qts out, with the car warm.
the drain plug and using a 5 mm hex tool opened up the overflow plug which is near the drain plug.
As I finished putting the first bottle I saw some transmission fluid coming out of the overflow hole. WTF? I thought you should get at least 2 qts out on a drain and fill when the transmission is at its proper level?
You should add the fluid, run the engine and cycle the shifter before checking the overflow.
Anywho I put the overflow plug back in and put in a total of 2 qts.
I thought about getting the transmission fluid temp to 120F and then checking the overflow plug but I chickened out. So far the car has driven fine with same fluid level.
Once I got the level correct during the first drain and fill (checking the trans temp with TechStream), I mostly just put back what came out and pull the overflow once I've cycled the shifter a few times. I don't get too excited about getting the temp perfect (although I woundn't check it cold). Usually I get just a few ounces out of the overflow and call it a day.

AN
Old 01-18-16, 11:27 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Well if I was getting some fluid out of the overflow when transmission was cold then I would definitely get more out when the fluid warmed up.
I just thought that it would take more than a quart before seeing fluid out of the overflow.
Old 01-18-16, 11:44 AM
gebo
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I believe the issue is you didn't shift your transmission through all the gears before opening the overflow plug. Shift slowly from "P" to "R" to "N" to "D" back and forth a few times after the transmission fluid is warm.

You did teach me a great tip in using the magnetic level!! Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
broken4dr (01-08-17)

Quick Reply: 04-06 Sealed Transmission fluid change interval? (The Mother thread)